SES_joe

The Exploration Update - September 4th, 2019

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, Cpt. Shadows said:

Can you please make autosave a thing? 

*G*, case in point! This has been requested so many times that they can't be counted by any one human. Just how is this not a thing already? I mean, the people at SES play the game right? So, when they lost hours of playing time, not once, not one staff person thought, "I should bring this up at a meeting and get this into the game." Of all the staff that play the game for hours and hours and hours, not once has anyone lost some progress? 

*G*, can you see where logic and myths just don't jive? So in all the hours upon hours the staff has put into playing the game, never happened to anyone but us? What game in this genre(s) does not have a autosave option? It is 2019. 2019. 


IMHO, this is in part what happens when there is no story or story line. Update after update doesn't have any cohesiveness at all. It wanders aimlessly and follows whims rather than taking its cues from those that put them in the positions they are in now, us customers. We went from purple things we have all used just once to beachball soccer to picture hoop racing. 
The game sure has gotten away from its roots hasn't it? And ya'll thought you were buying a crafting, exploring game set in the future didn't you? Surprise! We be all about the beachball soccer picture hoop racing now! 

And as we all know, opinions are like butt holes, in that, we all have one! So share yours!
Your opinion that is! 🤙:D🤸‍♂️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/5/2019 at 9:26 PM, Mak-a-Face said:

Why are you still wasting your time with SES. They aren't listening, so move on.

Thats rude. I think they are doing great upates and im always playing co-op so its lots of fun for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/4/2019 at 9:46 PM, vvhorus said:

There might be something wrong with the Playstation Store...

two of my Soil Centrifuge have resin inside after the update and they won't come out. both useless. have to built a third one. Nive fix!!

Capture.JPG

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/5/2019 at 12:21 AM, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

 

anyone has problems with the soil centrifuge? built three all three not popping the materials out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/4/2019 at 7:06 PM, Kalico said:

No fix for desynced worlds in multiplayer? I find it next to impossible to play a game from PC with my brother on Xbox without major world sync issues. I would think this was serious enough to be tackled ASAP as compared to pushing to another platform already.

This fix needs to be THE top priority, especially with a PS4 launch looming in the horizon.

And I concur with @The Touch of Grey Gameron the one-and-done items in the game, and the weird and impractical choices for game additions, especially with a sub-forum full of suggestions and ideas.

Crafting stuff to see them once and never use them or to do the same thing over and over (like different shaped storage units or the so-called "recreational items") is kind of pointless. Give us new mechanics, new goals, new activities, new missions, new things to look forward to. A hoop is not one of them. And for G*d's sake, fix the da*n terrain desync already!

 

Edited by vvhorus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the jetpacks! Super great!

In caves, not so much. They occupy the slots for the lights and well, its like dark in caves. So when I'm carrying the medium storage silo and using the jetpacks, whilst in a cave....TOGG not happy. Add that with the new tether issue and I'm finding caves not as much fun. 
If, if however the lights were in the helmet, then I could see in caves and I would have lighted flight! Just sayin 🤩

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/7/2019 at 9:34 AM, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

IMHO, this is in part what happens when there is no story or story line. Update after update doesn't have any cohesiveness at all. It wanders aimlessly and follows whims rather than taking its cues from those that put them in the positions they are in now, us customers. We went from purple things we have all used just once to beachball soccer to picture hoop racing. 
The game sure has gotten away from its roots hasn't it? And ya'll thought you were buying a crafting, exploring game set in the future didn't you? Surprise! We be all about the beachball soccer picture hoop racing now!

Didn't you get the memo? Beach balls and hoops are now standard space explorer gear.

You are absolutely right. With every new update the game is deviating from its roots, as you so eloquently expressed it. Instead of a cartography system we have space buggy soccer. It seems like Exo Dynamics cares more about recreational activities than actual space exploration and the well-being of its Astroneers...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, vvhorus said:

Didn't you get the memo? Beach balls and hoops are now standard space explorer gear.

You are absolutely right. With every new update the game is deviating from its roots, as you so eloquently expressed it. Instead of a cartography system we have space buggy soccer. It seems like Exo Dynamics cares more about recreational activities than actual space exploration and the well-being of its Astroneers...

I think there is a near perfect foundation for making a really good story out of this. We potentially have two opposing sides; EXO Dynamics & the Aliens with us Astroneers caught in the middle. 
I would rather the game go in that direction rather than the games we received the past two updates. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a novel idea. How about you fix the Co-op issues with the game instead of keeping on adding things to it? Maybe fix the issue where you get glitched permanently into vehicles, exit the game to reset, and lose absolutely everything on you astronaut upon reload. I've been trying to play since beta. Come back every update and play with a buddy. Put about the same amount of time each time around before we put it down because same shit different day. I'm sick of losing my stuff, losing rockets, losing vehicles, losing stuff I have worked HOURS for. Fix your game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like all the new stuff. Didn't play for the last 2 updates.
But this one makes me want to hop into a new game.

But 15.000 bytes for the jet pack? Just.....why?
You think I will grind 15k, when I have already finished everything else?
How about enabling the player to have some fun and good mobility WHILE exploring,
instead of setting it to the very end of the late game?
The flood light was already bad with the necessity to do space travel and 3800 bytes
all in all - for nothing game changing.
And now a 15k wall for something that is basically quality of life and just fun?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, vvhorus said:

You are absolutely right. With every new update the game is deviating from its roots, as you so eloquently expressed it. Instead of a cartography system we have space buggy soccer. It seems like Exo Dynamics cares more about recreational activities than actual space exploration and the well-being of its Astroneers...

To your point...it makes me scratch my head sometimes with what SES does or sometimes what they don't do.
The glowsticks for example. First, they keep forgetting the game is supposed to be taking place 500 years into the future. The glowsticks we have in game now are at least 30 years old, yes? So how, how does that pass any internal bar for "500 years into the future?" Isn't someone asking, "Is that design 500 years into the future?"
It's like printing a camera that does not need glass. It just shows me SES and I have a different understanding and appreciation of the definition of 'details'. Second, we've been begging for some type of cartography or map etc. for years now. So you want glowsticks? Ok fine, can you futureise them? Why couldn't a new machine have been made that would have allowed us to craft the glowsticks into different shapes? Possibly different colors? A possible use for different color soils by having the soil add the color? 

To your point about EXO, I posted somewhere else that I wish that SES would expand on that. I don't think I need to see the Aliens or any beings from EXO. I think the tasks, the achievements, the goals that EXO sets forth and the different ways the Aliens try to prevent us from achieving those (tasks, goals, achievements) would work perfectly.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Signed up just to post here and say 2 things:

1: I'm absolutely addicted to Astroneer, this game is so much fun!!!

2: The crashes are seriously bumming me out 😥. I'm running a 1080Ti, 16GB RAM, 3440x1440p @ 100Hz, and playing the Win 10 (game Pass version). I think it's crashing about every 30 min for me, so I'm constantly jumping on my tractor to save and reloading and reloading and reloading as I play. I feel the lack of exclusive fullscreen is somewhat to blame for this, but I could be wrong. Is there a way of viewing my crash logs with the Win 10 version as I've tried the methods mentioned online, but I simply don't have the folder C:\Users\"ME"\AppData\Local\Astroneer ???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/11/2019 at 2:07 PM, Shabazza said:

But 15.000 bytes for the jet pack? Just.....why?
You think I will grind 15k, when I have already finished everything else?
How about enabling the player to have some fun and good mobility WHILE exploring,
instead of setting it to the very end of the late game?

I agree. I feel both the new Jump Pack AND the new Jet Pack are a bit overpriced in terms of bytes. Both should be cheaper in Bytes, so that we can get to use them earlier on when their function would really be a benefit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, I am having a very odd problem with this update. Ever since I updated, the game won't work offline. I'm on PC and I downloaded it from the Microsoft store. Microsoft can't even help me. Is there a way I could possibly downgrade from the update?

Edited by 1NS4N1TY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/11/2019 at 9:43 AM, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

To your point...it makes me scratch my head sometimes with what SES does or sometimes what they don't do.
The glowsticks for example. First, they keep forgetting the game is supposed to be taking place 500 years into the future. The glowsticks we have in game now are at least 30 years old, yes? So how, how does that pass any internal bar for "500 years into the future?" Isn't someone asking, "Is that design 500 years into the future?"
It's like printing a camera that does not need glass. It just shows me SES and I have a different understanding and appreciation of the definition of 'details'. Second, we've been begging for some type of cartography or map etc. for years now. So you want glowsticks? Ok fine, can you futureise them? Why couldn't a new machine have been made that would have allowed us to craft the glowsticks into different shapes? Possibly different colors? A possible use for different color soils by having the soil add the color? 

To your point about EXO, I posted somewhere else that I wish that SES would expand on that. I don't think I need to see the Aliens or any beings from EXO. I think the tasks, the achievements, the goals that EXO sets forth and the different ways the Aliens try to prevent us from achieving those (tasks, goals, achievements) would work perfectly.  

I hate to bring Ark up again (no, I don't), but from the very second you spawn, you can press M and the character pulls a blank map out of his/her underwear with your exact position in it. You can even set a marker in it to mark the location of your home base, for example, or other places of interest, based on latitude and longitude. There are no developer-created soccer balls. Recreational stuff comes in the form of (lots and lots of) user-created mods via Steam Workshop. Studio Wildcard has focused their development on giving Survivors the tools they need to explore and survive in the harsh world that is Ark, and have given their community the tools and the freedom to add entertainment to that experience.

Both Ark and Astroneer run on the Unreal Engine. I wish someday SES would consider releasing a developers toolkit to let players create mods for Astroneer. That would be really cool...

One thing I like about Ark is how they've incorporated humanity's different technology eras, with more advanced technology achievable only by learning previous tech, but everything kept within the survival/dino-based theme. SES, take notes...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, vvhorus said:

I hate to bring Ark up again (no, I don't), but from the very second you spawn, you can press M and the character pulls a blank map out of his/her underwear with your exact position in it. You can even set a marker in it to mark the location of your home base, for example, or other places of interest, based on latitude and longitude. There are no developer-created soccer balls. Recreational stuff comes in the form of (lots and lots of) user-created mods via Steam Workshop. Studio Wildcard has focused their development on giving Survivors the tools they need to explore and survive in the harsh world that is Ark, and have given their community the tools and the freedom to add entertainment to that experience.

Both Ark and Astroneer run on the Unreal Engine. I wish someday SES would consider releasing a developers toolkit to let players create mods for Astroneer. That would be really cool...

One thing I like about Ark is how they've incorporated humanity's different technology eras, with more advanced technology achievable only by learning previous tech, but everything kept within the survival/dino-based theme. SES, take notes...

The cartography system I like is from Satisfactory. Right along the very top it shows the direction you are always going and where you homebase is all the time. No need to push a button ever. It is always on screen and with the little "home" icon, one can never ever get lost. So simple yet so informative. So basic yet so perfect in design. 
Too bad Satisfactory does not use the Unreal Engine..... Oh wait, it totally does!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We really just need new technology branches...and automation. I've been mentally preparing a suggestion for hovertrain systems, so maybe the devs will see and take inspiration from that.

Edited by Doge229

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With my new "Roller skates", i can dig straight down to the core without needing to drill at an angle! Best thing is, I always have enough hydrazine to fly back up. All I really need to do is stock up on some extra oxygen and i'm good. No more cave tethers for me! (to the core, that is.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is disappointing. As a console user,  I bought the game with such high hopes. It appeared to work fine and the game itself (environment,  theme, interaction,  etc) is a well developed concept. However that seems to be all it is: a well developed concept with no practical functionality. For PC players about to say "that's cus consoles suck!", that opinion is just that,  however it is still a game that many consumers paid for (like myself)  but cannot practically play.  

The game crashes.  A lot. Upon restart,  it will take a solid 2 to 4 minutes to load the game again.  Agonizing when the game crashes every 5 to 10 minutes of gameplay. Lag is asinine,  even in single-player. For those about to remark on tethers: I once tried to play it picking up every single tether I placed everytime I was done. It still lagged horribly. Changing planets?  Good luck. You crash 50% of the time. When you crash there's about a 75% chance you end up back on Silva with nothing of your shuttle or items used. All these are 10 times worse in multi-player with ONE additional player. Reaching the center of a planet? Almost impossible, as at one point digging through the planet (any planet)  your game will decide,  nope,  that's deep enough,  and crash. Wanna use a tractor or buggy for faster transportation?  Guess again!  Those cause crashes and bugs too! Don't even think about chaining them together or charging them either. Best dig a hole and bury them. 

My group...  We were so pleased with the initial overlook of the game but...  It really is impossible to play on consoles. To see a developer rolling out updates and new items,  and claiming they're releasing relatively close together for PC and consoles together,  and yet completely ignoring (and not mentioning)  the myriad of issues that make their game unplayable to a large portion of their consumers is both upsetting and alarming.

I understand PC is "easier to update" but realize consoles are cheaper,  and more easily available to consumers -and more importantly,  we are customers as well.... Who paid for an item... That is unusable. If I bought an Xbox that didn't work, I'd get a refund or a replacement. That's not available (understandably) for digital download games but...  Really....  Can we get some direct support on the console issues? Or at least address them so those of us on consoles know if they're even being considered. At least we'd know whether to give up on the game completely or hold out hope. Bad enough a lot of us lost 7dtd with their horrible console support and "just go buy a PC and then buy our game again" mentality.  Its just bad customer service. I don't want to see Astroneer go down the same path. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/20/2019 at 12:08 PM, vvhorus said:

I hate to bring Ark up again (no, I don't),

Ok, this has nothing to do with that
However
You must check out

Autonauts on Steam released a couple of days ago, on sale and is a must see

Autonauts
Autonauts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.