Ok so, a while ago I posted a thread about not being able to shred platforms and FlyingCrowbar came to the conclusion that only partially or fully damaged platforms can be shredded. I have a bunch of platforms I don't need or want right now so this is my solution:

Instead of making all platforms shreddable(but that is welcome too), maybe we could blow up platforms with dynamite to damage them and that would automatically allow us to shred them

In my experience, using dynamite to blow things up is counterproductive. I have to add that the last time I tried blowing anything up, the game was still in early access (EA) and explosives either left items undamaged, blown into non-existence, or caused them to fly up into the air and rain down on my base and the surrounding terrain. Things may have changed since EA though, and dynamite may actually work the way you hope it does. I don't know for sure since I have not tried lately. Maybe you could give it a try and let us all know what you find out. I would certainly appreciate your effort.

9 minutes ago, Flyingcrowbar said:

In my experience, using dynamite to blow things up is counterproductive. I have to add that the last time I tried blowing anything up, the game was still in early access (EA) and explosives either left items undamaged, blown into non-existence, or caused them to fly up into the air and rain down on my base and the surrounding terrain. Things may have changed since EA though, and dynamite may actually work the way you hope it does. I don't know for sure since I have not tried lately. Maybe you could give it a try and let us all know what you find out. I would certainly appreciate your effort.

I haven't used dynamite yet but in just assumed that it doesn't damage platforms. I just suggested that it would. Maybe it does already but it's glitch. I don't know

Red:

OK, I'll make you a deal, if I remember I will try using dynamite on a fully functional platform and report back with the results. And you do the same, OK, is that fair.

Well, I kind of can't do that right now because I am travelling and can't play astroneer for the next 4 days. Appreciate the offer but I can only ask for your part

I agree with you, red! I think dynamite should also be able to break the items that are still too big to be shredded in the extra large shredder into chunks that can be shredded. All those derelict space ships, those large platforms, broken smelters, old habitat, the list goes on... too. Or they could implement one of my earlier suggestions and give us a plasma torch or cutting torch to cut them into shred ready pieces. A cutting torch could even use hydrazine as a fuel source.

hello all :) joining the club here, I also have a need to shred useless platforms - I have a pile after experimenting and moving things, new base builds and such. Also I have a bunch of old shuttles or things like ruined habitat. And I was thinking exactly same thing - why not put dynamite to blow not out of existance but rather into salvageable pieces. Also then maybe we can do same thing with crashed spacecraft - this way we can clean the planet better :)

6 hours ago, Mio said:

why not put dynamite to blow not out of existance but rather into salvageable pieces

Welcome, to this discussion anyway, @Mio. Unfortunately, dynamite is not configured to do what we would like it to do, so the developers would have to tweak it. Right now, the only options it has are "out of existence" and "scattered to the wind" and until someone at SES changes it we have no other options. Maybe a new type of explosive, say something like a CUTTING CHARGE, could be developed to do the tasks we are looking for.