Sign in to follow this  
xum

Please don't add map !

I see that some ask for a map, or a gps coordinate system.
But, i'm not ok with that, for me, one of the charms of this game is precisely the possibility to get lost, walking (or driving) in these so special environments ...
It's already much easier to end up now with the portals, before we only had the compass, the sun or the stars ...
(how many early gamer lost hours to get back to their base ?)
so, please don't add map to not change a part of the spirit of the game  ;)

I may have asked for a map in one of my very first posts, but I have reconsidered my position and concur with you on not having a map or GPS system. I would still like to have a heads-up compass that activates while you drive a vehicle so you don't have to jump out of the rover to check the compass. I must admit that there were many nervous times when I thought I was lost and wouldn't be able to get back to base, and many hours spent looking for the way back home. However, those times taught me to be aware of my surroundings and to mark my trail so that I could get home. I am very concerned about the jet pack that has been announced. That thing looks like fun, but it also looks like a very easy way to get yourself hopelessly lost and too far from a tether line to survive. I guess I will have to learn a whole new set of skills if I want to use one of those.  

On 9/2/2019 at 2:48 AM, xum said:

I see that some ask for a map, or a gps coordinate system.
But, i'm not ok with that, for me, one of the charms of this game is precisely the possibility to get lost, walking (or driving) in these so special environments ...
It's already much easier to end up now with the portals, before we only had the compass, the sun or the stars ...
(how many early gamer lost hours to get back to their base ?)
so, please don't add map to not change a part of the spirit of the game  ;)

It should be an option. You don't want a GPS or map others may. I think having options is always better than not.

Edited by The Touch of Grey Gamer

There's a card in the Future Potential Updates section of the Roadmap called Cartography & Discovery Objects.  Cartography isn't GPS, it's creating your own map, and it's only as good as you make it.  If you don't explore, there won't be much value in it.  I think wandering off will be encouraged, and it won't necessarily change the spirit of the game but perhaps reward players in a new and complex way by tracing out their journey in their EXO-Atlas.  Could you imagine the quest of the completionist-types who take on mapping all of a planet, including the caves?  Or better yet, 100% of all the planets and moons?!  Maybe that new camera expected in Wednesday's update will come into play somehow.  I'd love to have photo-relics accessible in my save!

I'd like to see a large module that turns a large rover into a Vibroseis truck, that can be used to map the surface/caves, and eventually pinpoint resources through a lot of triangulation, so long as you're willing to drive it around and wait through a lot of scan cycles (I used to do probe scanning in Eve Online).  Cartography should take far more work than simply going to a place.

12 hours ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

It should be an option. You don't want a GPS or map others may. I think having options is always better than not.

You are correct, TToGG! If it is implemented though, I would like to see it as a toggleable option that you could choose to use or not, and not something that is always in your face if youdon't want to use it.

@Gina Do you have any more info to share about cartograghy? It sounds intriguing to me.

26 minutes ago, Flyingcrowbar said:

I would like to see it as a toggleable option that you could choose to use or not, and not something that is always in your face if you don't want to use it.

+1 I 'meant' to say that! 😄

36 minutes ago, Flyingcrowbar said:

You are correct, TToGG! If it is implemented though, I would like to see it as a toggleable option that you could choose to use or not, and not something that is always in your face if youdon't want to use it.

@Gina Do you have any more info to share about cartograghy? It sounds intriguing to me.

I think the nature of it being Cartography and not "here's GPS", is that it is optional.  You want a map, make it.  Don't want a map...skip it.  Just like you don't HAVE to do the Gateway stuff.

And no, I don't have ANY information about Cartography, let alone "any more info".  That is just me having an idea about Cartography.  EXO-Atlas is something I made up, and my interpretation of Cartography on the roadmap is just that, my own interpretation.  There's nothing official and nothing SES has said in my comments.  If/when there is, I cite it.  I don't work with or for SES.  I'm just a fan, a big fan who happens to moderate things here and there, and I'm not (and other moderators are not) typically privy to any information that isn't already public.

11 minutes ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

So it is a camera!

If so, I'm going to guess it is a black and white camera?  

Based on things people from PAX have been saying, yes.  But even they haven't given much detail about it.  I'm hoping there are color pictures, but B&W's fine I guess. I can still take my own normal screenshots in full-glorious color.  I guess we're all a matter of hours from finding out tough.

@Gina:

I apologize, I made an assumption and was wrong (as I so often am). I thought as a moderator you might be privy to more information than the rest of us. Now I realize that you are just one of us, but that you have graciously agreed to spend some of your limited time moderating these forums. Thank you for your effort on our behalf, and please accept my apology.

FCB 

14 hours ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

The new camera that only requires steel to make? Glass? Lens? Anyone?

If it was a small printer item, sure.  But since it is a tier 1 backpack item, I'm fine with the steel.  Glass is ultra cheap, and already used for several other items.  

@Flyingcrowbar that's very kind of you, but you have no need to apologize!  ❤️  I just don't want to misrepresent who I am to anyone. (But I might have to expand on that EXO-Atlas idea....stay tuned)

1 hour ago, Gina said:

If it was a small printer item, sure.  But since it is a tier 1 backpack item, I'm fine with the steel.  Glass is ultra cheap, and already used for several other items.  

Yeah, *G* that's the entire point isn't it? 
Your reasoning is that glass is ultra cheap?
It should be a small printer item, obviously. Putting on the backpack was just plain wrong. 
The insignificant glass, (um) is it not the largest, most important piece in the entire thing? A lens? So the packaging around the lens (which could have been plastic as well but you know) is more important than the lens? Huh? 

And why oh why is it so important to be able to craft it from the backpack? Doesn't it fit into a backpack slot once it is produced? 
Um, yeah, we have the F12 key. What does this camera provide that the F12 key doesn't? Instead of giving us something we've been asking for we just get another way to take a photo? That can't be uploaded to Steam? Huh?

Nothing about this camera makes any logical sense. First, it fills zero holes as we have F12. Second, who, where, what posts are clamouring for a camera? I've not read one in nearly 3 years.

I don't know why they make the design decisions they make, exactly, but your point is a valid one, @The Touch of Grey Gamer.  Chalk another one up to balancing & creative liberties, I suppose.  I do, however, appreciate that it's a backpack printed item, and therefore Tier 1.  Small printer items are Tier 2, of course, and not quite as portable without packing them up and also not something you can equip to your character.

When equipped to your AUX slot, you can toggle the Small Camera to take a picture, and sort of like the LEM version, it has a little border around it.  Instead of the 50th Anniversary icon though, this one has a little EXO logo in the corner.  Is it necessary?  No.  But I kind of like the "first person-esque" feel it gives to the image when you're wearing it.  And when taking photos while it's free-standing, there's no Astroneer standing in the middle of my photo, unless I want there to be.  

I have read over on the Patch Notes post how you feel about the arch, the ring, and the hoops, but if you attach a camera to one of them, when you/your vehicle/your ball bass through it, the camera will be toggled and snap a photo.  Having a race?  Set up an Arch & Camera at the finish line and get that photo-finish picture.  Playing some (modified) Jetpack Quidditch?  Add cameras to your rings and capture EVERY score!!  

You might not have seen any requests for a camera item, but I have seen some elsewhere.  Mostly on Discord, of course.  There have been some here too, but mostly for something that could be activated remotely from this planet's base to that planet's base. (Still a neat idea.)  Who knows, maybe there's still more functionality to come for the camera.

2 minutes ago, Gina said:

I don't know why they make the design decisions they make, exactly, but your point is a valid one, @The Touch of Grey Gamer.  Chalk another one up to balancing & creative liberties, I suppose.  I do, however, appreciate that it's a backpack printed item, and therefore Tier 1.  Small printer items are Tier 2, of course, and not quite as portable without packing them up and also not something you can equip to your character. I don't think you need a packager for the camera. It fits into the backpack. Why would it have to be printed from the backpack when it should be by the small printer needing glass and plastic not steel. There is no need to have it be able to print from the BP. What does that do? So I'm going to craft steel, carry it with me, then somewhere at some point in my journey think, I want to take a picture! Let me craft it! Or why not just carry the camera in my backpack from the base to begin with? It makes no sense at all. 

When equipped to your AUX slot, you can toggle the Small Camera to take a picture, and sort of like the LEM version, it has a little border around it.  Instead of the 50th Anniversary icon though, this one has a little EXO logo in the corner.  Is it necessary?  No.  But I kind of like the "first person-esque" feel it gives to the image when you're wearing it.  And when taking photos while it's free-standing, there's no Astroneer standing in the middle of my photo, unless I want there to be.  Again, how many photos is one going to take before it is just plain ole redundant and a yawn fest? We've had camera options for years and well, big whoop. You use them once, take a pic or two, show it to a couple of people maybe and move on. It has no legs. 

I have read over on the Patch Notes post how you feel about the arch, the ring, and the hoops, but if you attach a camera to one of them, when you/your vehicle/your ball bass through it, the camera will be toggled and snap a photo.  Having a race?  Set up an Arch & Camera at the finish line and get that photo-finish picture.  Playing some (modified) Jetpack Quidditch?  Add cameras to your rings and capture EVERY score!!  
First, how many races are you going to do? I mean seriously. If you want to race, what the heck are you in a space exploration game for? It is just so unnecessary and illogical. Back to the camera.... how many photos are you going to capture? Seriously? Are they not just all going to be the same after the 4th or 5th one? Really, a photo? You can't see this getting just a tad bit old on, oh I don't know, week two? 
So you are going to have a photo of every score? Come on now, am I the only fanboy that can tell the truth? Geez, those rings are fluff. And the storage ring? Not even you can defend that, that, eh, I can't even say it, can you? You can defend that thing? Tell me it is anything more than useless and I know you are fluffin it! 😵

You might not have seen any requests for a camera item, but I have seen some elsewhere.  Mostly on Discord, of course.  There have been some here too, but mostly for something that could be activated remotely from this planet's base to that planet's base. (Still a neat idea.)  Who knows, maybe there's still more functionality to come for the camera.
It is a one time maybe two time use item and then, cast aside. Just like so many other "One and Done" things we have been getting lately. And yeah I have seen those posts for a camera as you described, not this, thing made of steel!
Yeah a lot of thought and effort went into that decision I'm so sure. Steel. A steel camera. 500+ years into the future and I'm still dealing with steel cameras? 

I'm not attacking you *G* I'm just asking the community of fanboys and fangirls to begin to start telling the truth. Ya'll can be lovin the company and those in it and still tell the truth! They are not mutually exclusive. Come on, first beachball soccer and now jetpack racing? Can we get back to what the game was advertised to be all about? 

Anything you print from the small printer comes in a small box, so if you move the camera to the small printer to add glass to the recipe it would have to be re-packaged to be portable.  Only things from the backpack printer will fit in a Tier 1 slot.  And I don't know what you're talking about with carrying around steel....of course you'd just craft the camera and bring it along if it's something you might want to use.  

Admittedly, I take an excessive number of pictures.  The vast majority of them I've never shared, and my never look at again, but I still enjoy capturing my explorations and hope that one day the camera is integrated into the cartography system.  This item may not be speaking to  you, but it's definitely in my lane and it seems many others are enjoying it too.

I'm sure I'll participate in many races.  I play frequently and with a multitude of people, so things my friends and I build tend to get used again.  But even if they don't get re-used, I'm totally fine with that.  We had fun building this thing, then using is, now on to the next thing.  And I realize that most people don't have over 100 people who own Astroneer in their friends list, but I do, and we have fun together (Anyone reading, feel free to add me on Steam or Xbox/Windows.  My Xbox GT is Ginapedia).  

And yeah, I admit, I'm 110% a fangirl, but it doesn't stop me from being critical.  I haven't posted much of that kinda stuff here.  I'm far more active on Discord and will usually intentionally wait until a Dev is around and dump my gripes on them...I did it yesterday, in a small way, about something not at all related to this update.  I've done it in email, private chats, and live streams too.  I just genuinely like the recreational stuff.  It has enhanced my multiplayer experience, things I didn't know I would love, things that no one really asked for.  On the other hand, someone commented on the Reddit patch notes post and said "What I'm seeing is ways to explore. What I'm not seeing is reasons." and I couldn't possibly agree more. The jetpacks are really cool, and they feel good...but I've explored my save pretty extensively.  I'm ready for a new EXPERIENCE or a new encounter to go with all of my new stuff.  

21 hours ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

I'm not attacking you *G*

& I know.  Nor I, you. 💛

3 minutes ago, Gina said:

Anything you print from the small printer comes in a small box, so if you move the camera to the small printer to add glass to the recipe it would have to be re-packaged to be portable. Are you 100% sure? Don't I craft things from printers and put them directly into my backpack? I don't need to package them. Don't they already come packaged? Thinking about it more, if they had to be packaged, eh, big deal. Only things from the backpack printer will fit in a Tier 1 slot.  And I don't know what you're talking about with carrying around steel....of course you'd just craft the camera and bring it along if it's something you might want to use.  But that is my point *G*. Why would I need to have backpack producing capabilities? When both ways (backpack printing and small printer) the camera is still carried in the backpack. Either as a camera or in a box with the camera inside it. Correct? 
So following the steps that SES didn't do.... it is illogical to have the camera made of just steel. That is not 500 years into the future. It should be plastic and glass, I think we all can agree on that.
So I'm trying to find the logic in a couple of decisions. First, the need to have it backpack craftable? No need really. It needs steel. Steel is not a primary resource. It needs to be crafted. So at some point I'm going to have to be at my base to create the steel to use to craft the camera. If I'm already at my base, um, can't I simply use the small printer with glass? (Just goes to prove once again that the devs simply don't play the game) Second, someone said "I don't know what to make it out of, uh, how about steel?" Then someone else said "I approve that." And that tells me a lot about the care and effort that was put into this. Steel? A steel camera? Is this WWII or 500 years into the future? Hey SES, you claim this game takes place in the future, did ya ferget that?

Even your battery comment. How, how does someone that plays the game not know this about batteries? How *G*? How? How, how does someone not know this that comes to this forum? The game has been played since 2016 (Dec) and they just found out about the power cells? Trust it has been posted before. 

How if the devs play the game, how do they not know that the splitter has no value. It does nothing. If they play the game that is. So if they play the game, I mean really play the game, have the power, the knowledge, the ability, the education, the equipment, if they had all those things at their disposal, still nothing gets fixed? Seriously? So I'm driving my car, it is hot outside, I have the ability to use the air conditioner, I know where the AC button is but I'm not going to fix the situation. Because I have the ability to do so! Damit! So the devs that play the game so much, they run into the same issues we do, have everything they need to fix the issue, yet don't because?
Because they don't play the game?
They are not allowed to speak at meetings?
They just don't care?
No one stands up and says "When I'm playing the game; this is wrong and this is broken and this is not fun and this is illogical and this happens when it shouldn't and this does not happen when it should and I want to have fun playing the game so I know we can fix these things let's fix them so I, you and everyone that purchased the game can have fun too!" Why *G* why can't someone? 
How, just how *G* does hoops get priority over fixing the game? How does the round storage get time spent on it before all of the other bugs? Fixing the bugs will bring a billion times more enjoyment than beachball soccer ever could. 
*G* why? Why if they play the game do they play a game they created with the bugs in it that they have the power and ability to fix? And so much of the things like you reported are not game altering fixes. Let's get real here. 

How about the adult sized update? How about we all agree that the 10 year olds have gotten enough these past few updates and SES begins to focus on adults. Give us more planets, give us more resources, give us more LZ's, give us a reason to ever go back to any purple thing more than once, give us a meaning to Astronium, give us a use for the splitter, give us the things you, SES, that you intended to give us the first time. Go back to your roots, to when everything had longevity, not this recent phase of "One and Done" limited use items. 

& I know.  Nor I, you. 💛

✌️

Apologies to the OP for hijacking your thread!