Improve the Compass

The current compass is inadequate and isn't visible at all when an Astroneer is mounted in a vehicle

I would suggest a HUD type display showing the current direction in the center with directions up to 45 degrees either side of centre (or wider) ie traveling North, in a window at the top of the screen N would be in the centre with NW to the left and NE to the right.  Tick marks should also be included between the cardinal points so that the player can make their own mental image for the direction required.  The HUD should also show. any Beacons, Bases, Vehicles etc.

+1, it's annoying having to get out of the vehicle to check your bearing, then get back into said vehicle, only to lose said bearing. That being said, it would be cool either if it was a default HUD element, or implemented into the game as a craft-able item, either through the backpack for personal use, or by the printer for vehicle use.

I agree with these comments! I'm forever getting lost and we really need a in-screen compass to navigate around especially when driving! Just a simple key binding using "C" to show a semi detailed compass would be great!  (I quite like the idea of having portable lamps/beacons too to assist in navigation and avoid accidents when falling into sodding great holes and caverns)

I'd hate to see this game become over-developed but a few subtle tweaks would really improve the gameplay. 

I'll give you a tip with the current way it works though. Mouse over your character so it shows up, then hold right click. If you don't let go of right click, even after getting in your vehicle it will still be there. The direction you're going in is hard to see, but you can kinda see which directions are to the left and right of where the vehicle is facing.

That said, I do agree with this idea.

17 hours ago, Petrataur said:

I'll give you a tip with the current way it works though. Mouse over your character so it shows up, then hold right click. If you don't let go of right click, even after getting in your vehicle it will still be there. The direction you're going in is hard to see, but you can kinda see which directions are to the left and right of where the vehicle is facing.

That said, I do agree with this idea.

Can't seem to make that work? Are you saying hold the right click permanently? 9_9

2 hours ago, =X= Calibre ® said:

Can't seem to make that work? Are you saying hold the right click permanently? 9_9

Yeah, mouse over yourself to make the compass appear, press and hold right click so you're moving the camera, then hit tab to get in the vehicle while still holding right click. The compass still shows up around your character while he's in the driver's seat. Works for me, anyway.

I do like the fact that Astroneer does not show any HUD on the screen. If possible, I would prefer to keep it that way. However, I agree that it should at least be possible to easily show the compass while using a rover or truck. Maybe it could even show a bigger version with tick marks.

5 minutes ago, Marck said:

I do like the fact that Astroneer does not show any HUD on the screen. If possible, I would prefer to keep it that way. However, I agree that it should at least be possible to easily show the compass while using a rover or truck. Maybe it could even show a bigger version with tick marks.

Yes a bigger compass with tick marks is something I'd like to see! 

compas what compass? it is not vissable either way fr me but yeah something that would give you a clear direction of where you are would be immensly helpfull cause for 4 days on row i have been searching for my base and only gathered more and more research pods which i know i don't have so a map or aor any thing would be helpfull

6 hours ago, Marck said:

I also would not like to see the screen cluttered with a bunch of information boxes (although it might be interesting to see how that will be maintained when they go to multi players).

What I am thinking of is is just a transparent straight bar in the middle at the top of the screen that shows the cardinal points and a few tick points in between, similar to the image but showing only the yellow markings, with a transparent backing

Hud compass.png

Maybe have an option to turn it on and off for those that want to keep a completely clean screen

+1 I'm not exactly sure it needs to have N/S/E/W cardinals as the magnetic fields on uninhabited planets may not be very reliable but I do think tech would exist to at least be able to navigate back toward the nearest Hab/Vehicle/Beacon. This could help in other environs as well if liquid is introduced.

3 hours ago, YOWSH said:

+1 I'm not exactly sure it needs to have N/S/E/W cardinals as the magnetic fields on uninhabited planets may not be very reliable but I do think tech would exist to at least be able to navigate back toward the nearest Hab/Vehicle/Beacon. This could help in other environs as well if liquid is introduced.

Realistically you are probably spot on.  But the game does currently have a cardinal points compass.  

This is just a suggestion for an improvement of something that already exists in the game but is just not always visible and isn't available for use when in vehicles.