Sign in to follow this  
The Touch of Grey Gamer

My Save Game Is.....

Posted (edited)

33.9 MB LARGE!!!!!!!!!
1) Is that large?
2) Is yours larger?
3) What do I do while playing that increases the MB size?
4) Can I ever decrease the MB size?
5) Is there a MB cap?
6) The larger the MB the lower the Frame Rate or is that a myth?

Edited by The Touch of Grey Gamer

Whoa, that's the biggest I have seen until now, is it your research pod collection save?
1.Yes it is large
2.Mine is hardly 2mb
3.When have you been playing on the save?How old is it?
4.I don't think so.
5.Find it out.
6.depends on you pc, but it does have an effect on your fps.

9 minutes ago, TMarcher74 said:

Whoa, that's the biggest I have seen until now, is it your research pod collection save?
1.Yes it is large
2.Mine is hardly 2mb
3.When have you been playing on the save?How old is it?
4.I don't think so.
5.Find it out.
6.depends on you pc, but it does have an effect on your fps.

1.) Thanks!
2.) Be proud of your 2mb save. No one has a 2mb save like yours!
3.) I started playing this save the day the game was officially released; way back in February! The only game/save I have. 
Thanks for the other responses!

1) Is that large?

Quite

2) Is yours larger?

Nope, my largest one is the one I started on 1.0 Launch Day and it's around 20 MB.  It's the first file I got to 100% completion on, and all kinds of madness has happened there...still does.  If I had to guess, I'd say the average player's mid to late game save is 5-15 MB, depending on if they 100% the game or not and their tether usage. 

3) What do I do while playing that increases the MB size?

You explore places and render things that haven't loaded in before.  You quite possibly add more tethers, more modules, edit the terrain, etc.  All of these changes are things your game has to "remember", so it increases the file size.

4) Can I ever decrease the MB size?

Nominally.  Picking up excess tethers, shredding/blowing up things you aren't going to keep using, and pairing down your item/resource collection in general will have a small effect on your file size...more than likely measured in KBs and not MBs.

5) Is there a MB cap?

For Steam players, I doubt it.  The save file is stored locally on your PC and isn't synced to the Steam cloud, so your only limitations would likely be the space on your on machine.
For Xbox/Win10 players, yes.  The cloud where the saves are stored does have some limitations.  In fact, there was recently a bug fix addressing this.  Many Microsoft players were hitting the cap and then their game would stop saving or only intermittently save their progress.  The cap has been dramatically lifted, but it does still exist. 

6) The larger the MB the lower the Frame Rate or is that a myth?

In single player, I consistently get >70 FPS on my ~20 MB Steam save. I used to get <40 FPS, when it was even smaller.  I, of course, credit a multitude performance fixes for that increase.  My Microsoft save is a consistent 60 FPS, and I sort of wonder if there's a cap there.

Aside from those perf fixes, I don't generally leave loose resources sitting around - everything goes on storage, and I probably have less than 15 packs of tethers in use in my whole save and they are broken up on 3 or 4 different oxygenators on three planets.

Many of the same things that make your file bigger are also things that impact your FPS, but there are also things that have a nominal impact on your file size but a major impact on your performance, and probably vise-versa.

We already have that augment, it's an Inhibitor Mod.  It is somewhat limited in the depth it will collect resources, but that seems reasonable to me if you're not deforming any terrain to get the resources.  I'm not sure what, if any, impact that would have on performance at all.

40 minutes ago, Gina said:

We already have that augment, it's an Inhibitor Mod.  It is somewhat limited in the depth it will collect resources, but that seems reasonable to me if you're not deforming any terrain to get the resources.  I'm not sure what, if any, impact that would have on performance at all.

Well, yeah that's what I meant to type. If it went deeper and collected all the resources would it have an impact on performance? 

On 8/16/2019 at 10:20 AM, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

1) Is that large?
2) Is yours larger?

Things that make you go hmmm...

On 8/20/2019 at 11:09 AM, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

If it went deeper and collected all the resources would it have an impact on performance? 

I still don't know, really.  I'd imagine yes, but perhaps less than digging it out.  

Yes, because the game still has to "remember" the resource that was once there is now gone, but less because there wouldn't be any terrain deformation to remember...which I'd imagine is a bit more complex.

Another Q fer ya *G*

Do we all start with the exact same game? The resources are in the exact same spot on each planet for everyone? The amounts of those resources are exactly the same? The crashed items are identical for everyone? 
Can you shed any light on that there *G*?

17 hours ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

Another Q fer ya *G*

Do we all start with the exact same game? The resources are in the exact same spot on each planet for everyone? The amounts of those resources are exactly the same? The crashed items are identical for everyone? 

still waitin' for the day when he asks me the questions instead of *G*...

Everyone's solar system is different...and so are everyone's saves. another thing that makes the game AWESOME! Astroneer is procedural and you get access to the seed for some reason... but I'm sure that it's a seed game...though I don't know where the seed comes from... Maybe, *G* can answer that question :3

17 hours ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

Another Q fer ya *G*

I've noticed that on my save games and when I join other friend's saves, the habitat lands in or around the same spot in relation to where the teleporters (at least the nearest one) are located. I have a theory that the initial habitat is coded to always land in a fixed location. The landscape might be procedural, but the positioning looks to be fixed.

It would be awesome to let us choose our landing spot instead of just dropping us all in the same spot. The initial launch could stop in orbit and from there we choose the spot...

9 hours ago, CopperyMarrow15 said:

still waitin' for the day when he asks me the questions instead of *G*...

Everyone's solar system is different...and so are everyone's saves. another thing that makes the game AWESOME! Astroneer is procedural and you get access to the seed for some reason... but I'm sure that it's a seed game...though I don't know where the seed comes from... Maybe, *G* can answer that question :3

Sorry @CopperyMarrow15 I sometimes forget that you are the master of knowledge. Know that I still love you and respect your knowledge. I got you!

What does a "seed game" mean?

18 hours ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

Sorry @CopperyMarrow15 I sometimes forget that you are the master of knowledge. Know that I still love you and respect your knowledge. I got you!

😳

18 hours ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

What does a "seed game" mean?

sorry bout da misunderstanding

seed game...game of seeds...a game where there are seeds...anywhere where there are seeds...a game where there are seeds...game of seeds...seed game...seeds

On 8/22/2019 at 11:35 AM, vvhorus said:

I've noticed that on my save games and when I join other friend's saves, the habitat lands in or around the same spot in relation to where the teleporters (at least the nearest one) are located. I have a theory that the initial habitat is coded to always land in a fixed location. The landscape might be procedural, but the positioning looks to be fixed.

It would be awesome to let us choose our landing spot instead of just dropping us all in the same spot. The initial launch could stop in orbit and from there we choose the spot...

I think you are correct! *ding ding ding*

...but I also think the purps are random...I've seen spawns right next to them...and others far away. I know that, in the good old days, you would spawn on the northern hemisphere...near the star belt (equator)... *G* would know more about that.

@CopperyMarrow15

Q1) FPS is determined at each planet? By all the planets combined? The planets but not the moons? The purple things but.... Ok I'll stop now
Q2) If I have spent 1k hours (playing,crafting,digging etc.) on one planet and only 1 hour on another, will the FPS reflect that?
Q3) Would it be logical 🖖 for SES to create a base option for us that could be like the purple alien floating base thingy but much larger in the hopes that a base that has very very little to render, (no soil, trees, resources, caves, etc.) and if someone were to have a speed/performance challenged computer, would that help FPS? So you got a slow puter, your major base is on a planet you have spent a bazillion hours playing on and your FPS is disgusting. If SES gave each player an option to have their main base on a satellite (D.M.) above the planet that could be used as a main crafting type home base thingy and in doing so thus saving FPS while on each planet?
Q4) Would a base like that help in MP?
Q5) Am I way out in left field and asking for things that are imaginary? 
Q6) Whats fer dinner?

Anyone can answer
Peace ✌️