Sign in to follow this  
morty

Some ideas

Posted (edited)

First off, I love this game. I've been thinking of a few ideas that would be awesome to see.

This has probably been posted before but I think a hardcore mode would be amazing for this game:

• No instant researching, everything must be researched through the research chamber.
  • If you die, it's game over, no respawning.
  • Tweakable costs, like double/triple crafting costs, and also reduced research effectiveness. Effectively making the game even more grindy. 😁

Also, some other ideas that would be nice to see:

• Placing a landing pad inside a landing zone will replace the old landing zone so they aren't overlapping each other when orbiting the planet.
  • A new terrain tool mod that works sort of like the alignment mod but locks to an elevation like how the terrain analyzer locks to a terrain colour. This would allow us to create a "flat" (not true-flat) base that aligned to the core of the planet but locked to the same elevation so you don't have big dips, etc.
  • The ability to move the starting habitat and landing pad and to dig the unbreakable terrain.

Also, generally just more materials, crafting, planets, and end game content. I would pay for DLC as I'm in love with this game!

Edited by morty

Posted (edited)

Oops, posted too fast and can't edit anymore. Some more:

• Smart generators that only kick in when insufficient power.
  • Railway system you can build a train/railway from your base into a cave system to automatically transport out materials.
  • Making the drill mods required to penetrate tougher soil (hardcore mode). This would prevent the "dig to the core for easy Astronium research" method of gaining bytes fast. The idea would be that to get to Astronium, a level 3 drill mod would be required which requires you to first head to Desolo to get Wolframite. Either that or don't allow researching raw materials in hardcore mode, only research samples.
Edited by morty

Hardcore could be nice, but the idea that you can only die once isnt that good. This game isnt minecraft 2, and it is a lot easier to die here than in minecraft.

Also, i would love to be able to move the landing pad, as we know it can be packaged up, from the starting scene. In my first save l landed in a bad location, so I moved my base next to a gateway. It isnt needed, but would be cool.

32 minutes ago, morty said:

Oops, posted too fast and can't edit anymore. Some more:

• Smart generators that only kick in when insufficient power.
  • Railway system you can build a train/railway from your base into a cave system to automatically transport out materials.
  • Making the drill mods required to penetrate tougher soil (hardcore mode). This would prevent the "dig to the core for easy Astronium research" method of gaining bytes fast. The idea would be that to get to Astronium, a level 3 drill mod would be required which requires you to first head to Desolo to get Wolframite. Either that or don't allow researching raw materials in hardcore mode, only research samples.

I love the smart generator idea. Brilliant! 
Some form of a railway system has been asked for repeatedly. Thus far it is not on the development roadmap. https://trello.com/b/UoZgKrd3/astroneer-development-roadmap

58 minutes ago, morty said:

First off, I love this game. I've been thinking of a few ideas that would be awesome to see.

This has probably been posted before but I think a hardcore mode would be amazing for this game:

• No instant researching, everything must be researched through the research chamber.
  • If you die, it's game over, no respawning.
  • Tweakable costs, like double/triple crafting costs, and also reduced research effectiveness. Effectively making the game even more grindy. 😁

Also, some other ideas that would be nice to see:

• Placing a landing pad inside a landing zone will replace the old landing zone so they aren't overlapping each other when orbiting the planet.
  • A new terrain tool mod that works sort of like the alignment mod but locks to an elevation like how the terrain analyzer locks to a terrain colour. This would allow us to create a "flat" (not true-flat) base that aligned to the core of the planet but locked to the same elevation so you don't have big dips, etc.

Also, generally just more materials, crafting, planets, and end game content. I would pay for DLC as I'm in love with this game!

No instant research? That is a player option. I only use research pods to gain bytes. 
If you die, it's game over... That too is a player option. Nothing says you can't play that way, then when/if you die, start over!
Tweakable costs... I've got 1.3 million bytes (and increasing) with nothing to do with, thus far, but that does not stop me from doing what I do to have fun
Placing.... no idea what you mean
Terrain Tools.. any additions, changes, improvements would be greatly welcomed by me!

I (as have others) want more materials, crafting and planets. I would replace end game content with "a story", a method a reason as to why Astroneer? Sadly, however, you will see on the development roadmap, that more of anything is not on their radar. More resources? No! More planets? A no! More equipment? Options? Nada. 

I've said multiple times, I would pay for a DLC. I would pay for multiple DLC's. IF, IF, the money is used to hire more staff to improve and expand the game. 

Now if you want more grind...well my friend...I know a bit about that style of play! 
I have a challenge fer ya!

Unlock everything & have 1million bytes to spare
You can't ever build power (other than RTG's and solar arrays) of any type. No wind turbines, no batteries, no panels. You have to find and bring back to base all power you need
You can only use research pods to acquire bytes

Oh and one last little extra... you die once, you start over! If you accomplish this challenge I have others that are more difficult.
So are ya a hardcore grinder or not?

Posted (edited)

I agree that many of the hardcore ideas are player options but being enforced by a hardcore mode you can enable would be better than just letting the player self-enforce the restriction because many of us don't have the ability to adhere to self-imposed rules. There is no true fear in knowing that if you die, then you could just ignore your own rule and keep trucking. I want it to be enforced on me haha.

Edited by morty

19 minutes ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

Placing.... no idea what you mean

What I meant by this is that when you travel to a new planet, I often end up building a dedicated landing pad there instead of the landing location it chose for me when I clicked the bubble. The problem is that now when I travel back here, my landing pad and the landing zone that was already there overlap with each other and sometimes it's hard to land at the landing pad. I propose that if you play a landing pad inside a landing zone bubble, the old bubble is replaced with the new landing pad bubble instead of overlapping.