redstonerti

Extra Large Shredder

WHY  CAN'T I SHRED LARGE THINGS? I thought each shredder could shred stuff at one tier below it. The medium shredder can only shred t1 things, the large t2 and the Extra large WHAT?

WHAT?!?! I can't even shred a medium platform? Are you serious? WTF AM I SUPPOSED TO DO WITH ALL THE SH** PLATFORMS AROUND MY BASE?

8 hours ago, redstonerti said:

WHAT?!?! I can't even shred a medium platform? Are you serious? WTF AM I SUPPOSED TO DO WITH ALL THE SH** PLATFORMS AROUND MY BASE?

Countersink them so they become the "floor" for your base!
Sometimes they will still carry power so you could even countersink them low enough to have just the tops of the lights above the surface! 

12 hours ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

Countersink them so they become the "floor" for your base!
Sometimes they will still carry power so you could even countersink them low enough to have just the tops of the lights above the surface! 

?

What do you mean countersink?

Posted (edited)

You should be able to shred those medium platforms in either the large or extra large shredder. I think you can even do those 2 at a time in the extra large shredded. I was disappointed that the large platforms couldn't be shredded. Luckily, I figured that one out before I wasted my time dragging a bunch of those things back to my base.

Edited by Flyingcrowbar

1 hour ago, Flyingcrowbar said:

You should be able to shred those medium platforms in either the large or extra large shredder. I think you can even do those 2 at a time in the extra large shredded. I was disappointed that the large platforms couldn't be shredded. Luckily, I figured that one out before I wasted my time dragging a bunch of those things back to my base.

On 8/11/2019 at 9:18 AM, redstonerti said:

WHY  CAN'T I SHRED LARGE THINGS? I thought each shredder could shred stuff at one tier below it. The medium shredder can only shred t1 things, the large t2 and the Extra large WHAT?

You cant shred platforms at all. Work around it and blow it up.

35 minutes ago, Slipsonic said:

You cant shred platforms at all. Work around it and blow it up.

Well, you should

Unless something changed recently, I have been shredding platforms for a long time now. I guess I need to go start up my game and see if platform shredding doesn't work any more. I have not played in a week or so, and Harpo, my Astroneer, has been impatiently waiting for my return. Unfortunately other IRL items have been a higher priority than  playing lately.

I tried it again a little while ago and it shredded a medium platform like nobody's business. I have no idea why yours isn't working, but you may want to call a mechanic to have it checked out.

7 hours ago, Flyingcrowbar said:

I tried it again a little while ago and it shredded a medium platform like nobody's business. I have no idea why yours isn't working, but you may want to call a mechanic to have it checked out.

? I can't shread either platforms or silos

I have not tried to shred any silos yet, but the small and medium platforms will shred for me. Maybe you should post this issue to the bugs and problems thread because you might have found one. BTW, are you playing on PC or Xbox?

On 8/15/2019 at 8:22 AM, Flyingcrowbar said:

I have not tried to shred any silos yet, but the small and medium platforms will shred for me. Maybe you should post this issue to the bugs and problems thread because you might have found one. BTW, are you playing on PC or Xbox?

Are these platforms that you've printed or junk ones that you've found around at wrecks?  As far as I know, you can't shred any platform or vehicle that you print yourself.

20 hours ago, Gina said:

Are these platforms that you've printed or junk ones that you've found around at wrecks?  As far as I know, you can't shred any platform or vehicle that you print yourself.

I'm pretty sure that these have all been derelict/salvage platforms or rover chassis that I have found and brought back to base for recycling. As an experiment, I will print a medium platform later today and see if that one can be shredded or not. I will report back later with the results.

Posted (edited)

OK, folks, here are the results of my experiment. I built a medium platform B and unpacked it. All attempts to load it into either the large or Extra-large shredder FAILED. I tried re-packing it with a packager and then unpacking it again and all additional attempts to load it in either shredder also FAILED! At this point I am going to assume that the only platforms that can be shredder are the partially, or completely broken ones that you find laying about on the planets. I have, on occasion, found fully functional platforms while exploring, and these ones are labeled as "Base building materials" or something similar when you "look" at them, whereas, the fully or partially broken ones are labeled as "salvage". I seriously doubt that the fully operational ones that you find can be shredded either. I am assuming this and may be wrong, but I am going with a "if it's partially, or completely broken, shred it" policy. As always, your mileage may vary (YMMV).Hahahaha

Edited by Flyingcrowbar