srMizuki

A new perspective on main menu and sub-menus

Hello guys, 

So I got bored and I decided to mess around with something that was bugging me about Astroneer since launch, that being the main menu and subjacent menus. I always felt that around all of the interfaces and aesthetics within the game, the main menu was one that felt a little bit off... So I create something that I could visualize as an approach to what I think it could be a more cohesive version on this interface and perhaps give some ideas of improvement (or not xd)... 

Mostly it was just for fun, it's nice to mess with this kind of stuff in a game that a like so much...

Cheers to you all!!!

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

Hi, The Touch of Grey Gamer... Glad you enjoyed it :)

I'm not that regular here... but is this a thing? "More acceptance/recognition by SES" I had the idea that they where listening to the community kind of regularly... 

Wow! I like it. Something new and cool to look at. Thanks for putting in the time to do the design and think it out. You are an asset that the SES team should take note of.

It's beautiful. I very like the new menu it is look super good. This version it is more polished, and very nice background. Applause for you @SrMIzuki. Good job.

+1 (just trying to keep the post on top so that the devs have a chance of seeing it, @Gina do you have permission to pin really awesome posts?)

On 8/13/2019 at 7:53 PM, SrMIzuki said:

Thanks @TMarcher74 , Adam as already seen the concepts :)I've posted it on a group page in Facebook, he replied there

Really that's awesome ,what did he reply?

1 hour ago, TMarcher74 said:

Really that's awesome ,what did he reply?

He appreciated... It's not like is going to do it, or at least not an exact copy... That was not the idea from the beginning... to be honest I was playing at 4am a little  stoned I would add... XD and in one time that I restarted the game, I started looking to the menu and I said "ok that's enough! this need to change" :P and that was it... I tough it was ok and then I've shared... for Adam to replay to me it was more then I was expecting, I do stuff like this all the time and usually is just what it is... a post, some likes, some comments and that's it... But yeah I think - maybe - he will have some of the design in consideration or get inspired in something totally different...  Anyway for having him replying just made my day XD I really like the style and the vibes o SES...

Gonna reply again because I am seeing it again - great work! Our main inspiration for the main menu was 2 things:

1 - NASA's approach to user interface on their instrument panels. (THere's a lot of reasoning they look so bland, but readable)
2 - Nutrition Labels! They pack a ton of information in to a small, hierarchical layout that is easy to follow and understand. Also bland, lol.

So we tried to be inspired by them while adding some polish where we can to bring it out of the 'bland' territory, but i can see how it'd still feel that way when it is compared to yours. Great work :)

Hmmm I get it, and I totally can see the Nutrition Labels inspiration in the menus, the dots kind of give it way, and now it kind of makes me want to redo what I've done :)

But anyway, the design I did it was just for fun, and because I like the game of course, so doing something I love to do using a game that I really love to play as a canvas, sounded just like double fun for me XD  I didn't even took into account the technical difficulties in implementing something like this
And I really thing the menus, how they are just now, woks perfectly, and design-wise that's matters the most.

In any case, It was just for fun, I was not even expecting to get your attention! 

Once again I love your game, when I saw it for the first time I was like "Damn!! that's a game that I would  love to had the idea for!!!" XD

1 hour ago, srMizuki said:

Hmmm I get it, and I totally can see the Nutrition Labels inspiration in the menus, the dots kind of give it way, and now it kind of makes me want to redo what I've done :)

But anyway, the design I did it was just for fun, and because I like the game of course, so doing something I love to do using a game that I really love to play as a canvas, sounded just like double fun for me XD  I didn't even took into account the technical difficulties in implementing something like this
And I really thing the menus, how they are just now, woks perfectly, and design-wise that's matters the most.

In any case, It was just for fun, I was not even expecting to get your attention! 

Once again I love your game, when I saw it for the first time I was like "Damn!! that's a game that I would  love to had the idea for!!!" XD

Respect 1000, I am happy for you man.

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!

What kinda edit-y software do you use!? ...because I NEED it! I'm tired of trying to make fan art with Microsoft Paint and 3D Builder! :D

I don't really see the need for a new layout...but I so WANT THIS!

Thank's @Doge229, not that I would not like for them to build it in to the game, but that's not how thinks usually work  :)  and the main idea was just to bring a new respective into it. That said, If they take some notes of what I did that would be awesome. :D

Hi @CopperyMarrow15 well, the software i use is Adobe Photoshop 2017 for the main layout and I also use Adobe Illustrator 2019 to create icons and some other objects.
Compared to Microsoft paint, Photoshop can be a little overwhelming, but dot be discouraged by that, start following some tutorials and eventually you will start to get the gist of it. 

Another thing is that Adobe products are under a subscription license, so I'm not telling that you need to pay or not for it :P but in alternative you have some free software like Gimp and Krita for photoshop and InkScape for Illustrator.

Another good alternative is the AffinityPhoto and AffinityDesign both cost around 60$ but is just one time buy not a month subscription like happens with adobe products.

Cheers!!

OH LORD! YES PLEASE!

This would be a hell of an improvement. The usability improvement would be out of this world (pun intended).

When the last update came out, I started a new game TWICE because I genuinely thought that the menu wasn't clickable. I mean... it looks just like text. Nothing there tells my user instinct to click. 

Besides, in a game that has such a cute (for lack of better word) aesthetics, that menu is completely non cute. I get the explanation and all, but maybe it is too simple and clean for the rest of the game art.

On 9/17/2019 at 5:17 AM, srMizuki said:

Hi @CopperyMarrow15 well, the software i use is Adobe Photoshop 2017 for the main layout and I also use Adobe Illustrator 2019 to create icons and some other objects.
Compared to Microsoft paint, Photoshop can be a little overwhelming, but dot be discouraged by that, start following some tutorials and eventually you will start to get the gist of it. 

Another thing is that Adobe products are under a subscription license, so I'm not telling that you need to pay or not for it :P but in alternative you have some free software like Gimp and Krita for photoshop and InkScape for Illustrator.

I've got some old Photoshop that I don't come close to understanding on an old Win7 that a friend gave me...so I guess I could get that out and try something...

Also what does this mean??

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet...

I've seen it in other places before like below...Where did you get it?

image.png.c570b06417edd5a899dcf61942e616ce.png

I would imagine such text to be in place of some info about the latest update.

Also, the style just isn't Astroneer...You may have stolen the font and stuff like that but I think that would need some patching up.

...and now...to appreciate the beauty of this masterpiece...

image.png.4df85019cd1d2ff1fbf413152565e1f9.png...laughing my head off at this...

I have no clue what this means but you were apparently up at 0:42 playing this game.... and I see what you did with the // No Man's Sky :3

...be cool if it were 16 though...just sayin'

Hi @CopperyMarrow15

Lorem ipsum dolor (...) is the text sample used by designers to preview text objects, although words follow a random order, they are based on "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" by Cicero... There is an interesting story behind it if you are curious about it.

To get it you just need to search on google for a lorem ipsum generator or install some plugin in a software that you use, although some of the software already comes with a lorem ipsum generator, like Illustrator for example.
https://www.lipsum.com/

The font I'm using is not the Astroneer font type, it's just a similar one that I have found.

"THE ANSWER IS 42" is a reference to to the book Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy there's also a movie, both are great.
(AZIZ! LIGHT! is also a reference to a movie)

ahahah the // I was not totally thinking about NMS but yeah they use it a lot... maybe it was my subconscious that stole that :P

Cheers!!