Posted (edited)

Hello, my idea is electric arch furnace on the DC, it differs in that it has one electrode of graphite. And it is more efficient than a normal electric furnace. You can melt the ore more efficiently with a little profit. With it, you can get your iron, titanium and tungsten ingots faster. And not only that, in it you can get silicon from quartz and different alloys of steel. This furnace is very large and holds on a Tier-4 slot. It consumes a bit more energy than a normal electric furnace and requires a graphite electrode repair (it repair with graphite). It requires confirmation on the melt of the material and you decide what you want to melt now (something similar to the chemistry lab panel).

It can melt only metals with a high melting point.

Profit from the melting:

3 hematite = 4 iron ingots 

3 wolframite = 4 tungsten ingots

3 titanite = 4 titanium ingot

2 quartz = 1 silicon ingot (new type of item) 

Cost:

1 steel

1 copper

1 ceramic

1 graphite

Research cost: 8,500 Bytes

Size: XL

If I did anything wrong, and some grammatical error or isn't correct, please comment.

For interested persons link to page.

Edited by Marcin7667

As with any other idea, it's always good to divide the suggestion in two parts: lore and gameplay. First, lore: how this idea looks from the point of view of the in-game world? The furnace that we have is already electric, with no explanation on how exactly does it work. Maybe it's already an arc smelter, who knows. And even if it's not, it would be quite strange to have two smelters, of which one has a defined heating mechanism, and the other is just "a smelter". Also, why would an arc smelter produce more metal? Higher temperatures may result in higher quality product, but not quantity. If anything, there would be less of it, as higher quality means less impurity and less mass overall. So this makes no sense from the in-game perspective

As for gameplay, you suggest a smelter that consumes graphite and outputs more metal, and also borrows some functions from the chemlab. That would be a strange decision. Graphite is already very useful and not that easy to find, so it's not like we need to find new uses for it. And mixing smelter with chemlab is at the very least confusing. Right now it's simple: you want to get something basic - go to smelter, want to get something advanced - go to chemlab. The new smelter will break this system, this would be bad for gameplay.

Posted (edited)

Maybe you are right that I have not given more description, more information will give you the same wiki and other sites. More material I give by the reaction of reduction of hematite with graphite (Fe3o4 + 2c = 3Fe + 2co2).

Edited by Marcin7667

As for the panel with the lab, I mean the features, you choose the options for melting the hematite or tungsten, arrows and confirms its option. If you want this I can insert schemes and videos on this topic.

Forgive me wrong mineral Fe3o4 is magnetite, Hematite is Fe2o3, and its reaction is 2Fe2o3 + 3c = 4Fe + 3co2

I think this seems fun! It makes sense to combine the chem lab and the smelter into a multi-function XL machine, I think it would look really cool if added to the game.

+1

It would obviously only be limited to items that will do smelty stuff with Graphite...like actual ores...I think..... chemists? Is this how it works:?

Al2O6 (Augite) + 3 C (Graphite) = Al2 or 2 Al (not sure) (Aluminum) + 3 CO2 (Carbon Dioxide)

The reaction causes 1 Unit of Augite to change and 3 units of graphite to change

It's pretty much a super fast Smelter-Chem Lab that hogs Graphite... I like it!

Here's what I say: You put in 3 Graphite on top and your 1 ore on the side (6 for 2, 9 for 3) and you quickly get the product out... It also has cool Chemistry Lab function like Hematite > Steel.

On 7/30/2019 at 5:34 PM, Morse said:

Right now it's simple: you want to get something basic - go to smelter, want to get something advanced - go to chemlab. The new smelter will break this system, this would be bad for gameplay.

...so you make it late game! My ideas:

Crafting Method: Large Printer

Recipe: 2 Copper, 1 Titanium Alloy, 1 Graphene

What is your opinion, chemists?

2 hours ago, CopperyMarrow15 said:

Al2O6 (Augite) + 3 C (Graphite) = Al2 or 2 Al (not sure) (Aluminum) + 3 CO2 (Carbon Dioxide)

Small bug

2Al2O3 + 3C = 4Al + 3CO2

In this furnace you can make metal alloys, and also silicon which is the basis of many electrical elements.

SiO2 + C = Si + CO2

2 hours ago, CopperyMarrow15 said:

Crafting Method: Large Printer

Recipe: 2 Copper, 1 Titanium Alloy, 1 Graphene

Material to construct in my suggestion is more sense. It steel as the base of the furnace, copper as cables and connector to electrode, ceramics as heat insulator, graphite to the electrode.

Posted (edited)
On 7/30/2019 at 4:01 PM, Marcin7667 said:

Cost:

1 steel

1 copper

1 ceramic

1 graphite

Research cost: 8,500 Bytes

Size: XL

very sensical... I would have it be 2 Steel...just for cost purposes... 

Al2O3 is bauxite. Al2O6 is augite. Both reactions work.

Edited by CopperyMarrow15
fixed accidental capitalization