Hola Astorneers!
This is what 350+ medium storage's look like, kinda. Me not good with pics so it would look better if one of you took the pics. I have more storages to put into this section of the junkyard I just have not moved them over yet.
I'm reworking my junkyard as I was getting tired of the old look that I've had for so long. I like to have a junkyard, it lets me take inventory of where I've been and what I've done. Sorta
I've have saved nearly 1,100 research pods packaged up nicely
I've have over 100 generators (mostly broken) ready to be repaired as soon as we get that module!

I've not created a single battery, wind turbine or solar panel etc. All that I currently have I have found and transported back to base. I did make the new large solar panel and RTG's. I must have over 300 of the different types of power items. Although I did scrap a bunch as I was getting bored of running across the base over and over again just to bring small batteries, and wind turbines and solar panels that I just started scrapping them. I know, a terrible thing for a hoarder like me to do but I could never use that much power anyway so it was just easier for me to scrap them.

Over the next few days my task will be tires. I've just decided I need to have a tire mountain. I'd like it to be continuously on fire like in that famous cartoon television show. But since I can't have fire, a large pyramid of tires will do nicely. The thing is, I've used so much graphite to make packagers (I have made thousands, literally.....literally) it is now really difficult for me to find any graphite. I've literally searched for more than 40 minutes yesterday before I could find any. Not that I mind, as that is what exploring is about.

Now I know what your thinking, soil centrifuge. The thing is, I haven't used it yet for graphite in close to 500ish hours on this save and I think it will feel like cheating if I start using it now. I want to hoard the old fashioned way, naturally 

I don't bring back many broken wind turbines or solar panels. I have them in my junkyard but not too many. I would like to have more broken dropships in my junkyard but they are very rare to comeby. 

The other small pieces of junk I just don't bother to bring back or carry or package etc. I know they would look good in the junkyard and add variety but I just don't have enough packagers and can't find enough graphite to justify using them on little pieces. So there out!

Right now I'm just in a quandary as to how to redesign my junkyard. 
How do ya'll have your'ins set up? 

I'm wondering if it matters if I have the items on platforms or not with regard to frame rate? If all items are on platforms is it easier for the puter?

The other thing I'm going to add to my junkyard is a motor pool. I'm going to have a fleet of vehicles parked side by side. I'm going to make each with a different combination of equipment. I may have three large rovers set up for example; one with the drill, one with a wench (since 2018 I've only used a wench once, once) and one some other way. Then the medium and small rovers the same. So if I'm going to go drag something (which I have only done once and would never do again) I would take that rover train with all it's storage and equipment needs already attached and ready to go. If I was going to dirt farm, I would take the rover train that is already geared up for that task. Would be nice to have a building to put them into

So show us some of your base pics! Let's see some of your ideas and creativity in action! Let me steal some of your ideas! 

20190727074644_1.jpg

20190727074726_1.jpg

Posted (edited)

That's a really cool image, TToGG! I really wish some of the junk yards I go to were as well organized. You could have one hell of a shredding party if you wanted to. Any particular reason you haven't already started shredding them, or was it the photo-op that you were going for.

Edited by Flyingcrowbar

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Flyingcrowbar said:

Any particular reason you haven't already started shredding them, or was it the photo-op that you were going for.

I've got over 1k scrap currently 😋 so I really don't have a need for any more. Then again I will never use these storages again either. I was actually thinking of building enough extra large platform B's to put them all on but I'm undecided. I was thinking of using those (extra large platform b's) as a type of modern space age 'hedgerows' that I could use to partition off different aspects of the junkyard. "You're looking for seats? Row 3, Isle 4." 

There was something on the road map about trading, so maybe I've got some future options?

I also put broken generators into research chambers and they glow red. I like the aesthetic.

I also have a boatload of power cells that have some yellow movement to them so they add a bit of genasaqua to the junkyard. Which attracts a higher class of clientele 
I also use lights, zebra (etc) balls, oxygen filters, beacons to add some visual interest to the junkyard 

I've got a great farm going as well. I'm collecting every; seed, organic, pod, research mineral etc. I have 44 of the round extra large storages showcasing them with a light on top. It is very cool!
Plus I have my Research Pod Museum
I was working on my Motor Pool but then got distracted with collecting fireworks. When @Gina showed her fireworks display set-up well, I had to be a copycat. Meow! 😸

I'm also looking high and low for tires. I must have a very large, tall, tire pyramid. That one day I hope I can set on fire and have it burn in perpetuity! 

I just returned to my home base and the lag has got me FPS down to 8! I've got to move stuff away from my base/landing pad straight away. The further my astroneer is away from those two items the better my FPS gets. So I've got a long day ahead of me with expanding my base (AGAIN!), moving literally well over 100 platforms of varying sizes and then re-creating the junkyard adding a motor pool while I still have multiple planets to get to, to collect fireworks! 
My workload today is immense! 

It is not easy being an Astorneer! 

Edited by The Touch of Grey Gamer

Hoooooooly **************.

How is your device able to handle that? Its like me playing in creative mode(wish we had it though) , I know we will get it soon.
How old is the save btw?(Time you spent on the save)

1 hour ago, TMarcher74 said:

Hoooooooly **************.

How is your device able to handle that? Its like me playing in creative mode(wish we had it though) , I know we will get it soon.
How old is the save btw?(Time you spent on the save)

My puter is about 2 1/2 years old? Or 1.5 years old. I forget now. 
Intel i7-7700 4.2 ghz
32 ram

2560 X 1440 as high as my monitor can go! I forgot my video card but that and my 27" monitor are awesome!!!! Gsync I think. It is not the fastest rig in the world fer sure but it can run Astorneer very well.
After each upgrade to performance that SES produces, I can easily see the difference. Plus I'm paying $100 bucks a month for the fastest internet connection that my service provider provides. I don't know if this helps or not? Maybe with syncing? Maybe not.  

My save is 500+ hours and going strong! It is the only save I've played since the official release of the game back in February! Pretty awesome right?!?! 
But also I am aware of lag and do everything I can to alleviate it. I pick up all my tether lines (except the one tether line on each planet's home base that goes from the base to the core). I also never leave any resources, seeds, items lying around after deforming. I pick everything up and put them into storages. 
I also try to get every little piece of soil that remains after deforming to help with FPS. 
I try to explore neat, work neat, have neat bases and leave no mess or tethers etc. lying around on any planet. Especially my home base planet because that is where FPS is the worst.

If you are good maybe santa will bring you a new puter this year? 🎅💻🖥️🤰

On 7/27/2019 at 11:06 PM, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

I've have saved nearly 1,100 research pods packaged up nicely

...from 900 to 1001 to 1100....noice!

can I see 'em  can I see 'em ... pleeeeease

I've have over 100 generators (mostly broken) ready to be repaired as soon as we get that module!

That's the spirit!

I've not created a single battery, wind turbine or solar panel etc. All that I currently have I have found and transported back to base.

I know...

I did scrap a bunch as I was getting bored of running across the base over and over again just to bring small batteries, and wind turbines and solar panels that I just started scrapping them. I know, a terrible thing for a hoarder like me to do but I could never use that much power anyway so it was just easier for me to scrap them.

easiest for you to scrap them!? Use them for other bases... Use them to run Smelting Furnaces and Atmospheric Condensers! ...LOTS of Atmospheric Condensers... Hoarders don't just look for the easy way out! :p

Over the next few days my task will be tires. I've just decided I need to have a tire mountain.

For some reason, I've always been fond of those tires......but guess what... You're going to need a WINCH to get back...You're to have to DRAG something (oh no)...

(or do Packagers again...)

I've used so much graphite to make packagers (I have made thousands, literally.....literally) it is now really difficult for me to find any graphite. I've literally searched for more than 40 minutes yesterday before I could find any.

Astroneer is a game of creativity...so do what you want... but this is what I would do:

• follow trenches in the ground (Graphite spawns near and on Sylvan Mountain biomes. Any trenches that spawn in such a biome would offer a great space for Graphite to spawn in.)
  • explore Glacio and Vesania (Glacio and Vesania offer large Graphite deposits in many of their biomes.)
  • use drills and rovers to search for Graphite deposits (The Drill is a fast, effective method to find and collect from deposits.)
  • use the Soil Centrifuge (the act that supposedly goes against every rule in the hoarding book...)

Now I know what your thinking, soil centrifuge. The thing is, I haven't used it yet for graphite in close to 500ish hours on this save and I think it will feel like cheating if I start using it now. I want to hoard the old fashioned way, naturally 

I sorta get it actually.....

The other small pieces of junk I just don't bother to bring back or carry or package etc. I know they would look good in the junkyard and add variety but I just don't have enough packagers and can't find enough graphite to justify using them on little pieces. So there out!

You should totally get them...how about you tether out to get them or ACTUALLY USE THE WINCH!?

No..... that will never happen... :p

If all items are on platforms is it easier for the puter?

Yes.

The other thing I'm going to add to my junkyard is a motor pool. I'm going to have a fleet of vehicles parked side by side. I'm going to make each with a different combination of equipment. I may have three large rovers set up for example; one with the drill, one with a wench (since 2018 I've only used a wench once, once) and one some other way. Then the medium and small rovers the same. So if I'm going to go drag something (which I have only done once and would never do again) I would take that rover train with all it's storage and equipment needs already attached and ready to go. If I was going to dirt farm, I would take the rover train that is already geared up for that task. Would be nice to have a building to put them into

winch or wench... the ultimate quandary

image.png.a4f2b91d1478a92b5a08b0823b6f5d25.png

image.png.1d286895ddd6208fbf7ebd6b60fceee0.png

XD

sounds like a nice idea though!

image.png.a1fdefdd7155e13074bac0ad6c4a1d59.png

lookie dat wrecked seat collection! ...looks like you've seen many wrecked rovers in your time! Since the bottom of them acts like a mirror, I want to collect those one day and stick them upside down somewhere and make a little Astro Dance Floor... :D  Plus, I wanna know if they will do the mirror effect. Will you try it?

1077828308_deletethis.png.88894fa4349557733e7ce7d085e7797e.png

looks like somebody's flunking on storage :p ... The row on the right end is missing one in the front and just comes to a stop in the back... I tried to count them all...and failed... I can see you have some packed up (red arrows)... Why not unpack them? Also, I see what appears to be an Extra Large Platform B with Medium Batteries (blue arrow)??? Did you find those out in the wild? Did you find the storages in the wild? I assume you made them. There are a lot though! Nice screenshot!

you aint hidin nuttin from me :D

9 hours ago, CopperyMarrow15 said:

...from 900 to 1001 to 1100....noice!

can I see 'em  can I see 'em ... pleeeeease
The goal was just 1,000 however when I started traveling to planets to collect fireworks I found a bunch that I had already packaged and left on storages on different planets at different LZ's. So once I started to bring them all back the totals were climbing. I have a couple of other planets to get to yet so I may have some already packaged there too. I'm not actively collecting them any longer but I'm always on the lookout for new ones to add to my museum!

easiest for you to scrap them!? Use them for other bases... Use them to run Smelting Furnaces and Atmospheric Condensers! ...LOTS of Atmospheric Condensers... Hoarders don't just look for the easy way out! 😛

Yeah, I've got numerous extra large C (?) platforms (half moon ones) that are filled with each gas as well as a handful more with mixed gases on them. I build a wall and placed them on the wall so the feet are attached to the wall. I put a light in the center spot and in the dark with the light on yeah they look cool. I will never use those gases on those storage because that would ruin the look. If I need gases I use the ones on the mixed storages. 

For some reason, I've always been fond of those tires......but guess what... You're going to need a WINCH to get back...You're to have to DRAG something (oh no)...

(or do Packagers again...)

Packagers fer sure. I don't drive. Ever. Ok, I have driven. Then got totally aggravated by the circa 1983 designed driving mechanics. The deformation of soil and the nonsense that comes with every vehicle just to get from A to B is at times far too annoying than it has to be. Yet, it still is.
That stupid red bar and the 'I wanna go up, no wait, change the camera, no wait, I'm going down, no wait, no wait. You stupid drill turn OFF! Then you get to find you vehicle buried or partially buried or down in a cave etc. etc. etc. 

I watch all the videos. I move faster and get more done by foot than anyone I see driving, or should I post, trying to drive.
They get stuck. They get out. They get out to deform the soil. The get out to add soil. They drive 30 feet. They get out. They deform soil. Wait I'm going through the surface. Can't drill up.....wait wait wait....stop you stupid drill, I wanna go up, change the angle, stop stop stop, over and over and over and over and over and over again! Still? After all this time? This game has absolutely terrible driving mechanics. I find NO joy in driving in Astorneer. NONE. So I run and I can run faster and longer and better than anyone I watch driving. I've watched MP games where the Astorneers running get to the destination faster than the Astorneers in the vehicle! Driving is not fun plain and simple. The driving mechanics are absolutely terrible. I have absolutely nothing positive at all to say about them and never have. They belong back in 1983. We deserve better, much better.  

Astroneer is a game of creativity...so do what you want... but this is what I would do:

• follow trenches in the ground (Graphite spawns near and on Sylvan Mountain biomes. Any trenches that spawn in such a biome would offer a great space for Graphite to spawn in.)
  • explore Glacio and Vesania (Glacio and Vesania offer large Graphite deposits in many of their biomes.)
  • use drills and rovers to search for Graphite deposits (The Drill is a fast, effective method to find and collect from deposits.)
  • use the Soil Centrifuge (the act that supposedly goes against every rule in the hoarding book...)

Yeah, I know where Graphite is, or should I say, was. I've unlocked everything which takes I don't know how many bytes. I only use research pods for bytes. I don't put resources into the research chamber for bytes that is cheating. I don't press "F" and get bytes by zapping organics on plants or any thing like that as that too is cheating. So every byte I have earned has been through placing a research pod into a chamber. I don't even "F" the little red and white research samples found in the blue and white triangles. I save those!
I also have 1.3M in bytes now as a earlier goal was to have 1 million.
I've also got 1100 research pods packaged (see pic). So when you add all of that up, I have located a lot of Graphite and turned them into packagers. A lot. It has to be thousands. And I think it takes 4 or 5 Graphite bunches to be sucked up to make a single packager as well? It is not like one single deposit of Graphite makes one packager. But then again you already knew that. Wanna trade? 

I sorta get it actually.....

The soil centrifuge would be like using the trade platform, did Lewis or Clark use a trade platform or a centrifuge? Well Lewis didn't but the jury is still out on Clark no doubt.

You should totally get them...how about you tether out to get them or ACTUALLY USE THE WINCH!?

No..... that will never happen... 😛

Yes.

winch or wench... the ultimate quandary

image.png.a4f2b91d1478a92b5a08b0823b6f5d25.png

image.png.1d286895ddd6208fbf7ebd6b60fceee0.png

XD

sounds like a nice idea though!

I think you are the first person that noticed one of my easter eggs! Nice job! In some of my posts I purposely put something 'incorrect' a "Trumpism" if you will, to see if anyone will catch it. Great catch!

image.png.a1fdefdd7155e13074bac0ad6c4a1d59.png

lookie dat wrecked seat collection! ...looks like you've seen many wrecked rovers in your time! Since the bottom of them acts like a mirror, I want to collect those one day and stick them upside down somewhere and make a little Astro Dance Floor... :D  Plus, I wanna know if they will do the mirror effect. Will you try it?

Dance floor? No. But I have another idea once we are able to lay roads! Mirror Brick Roads? Crosswalks at intersections?

looks like somebody's flunking on storage 😛... The row on the right end is missing one in the front and just comes to a stop in the back... I tried to count them all...and failed... I can see you have some packed up (red arrows)... Why not unpack them? Also, I see what appears to be an Extra Large Platform B with Medium Batteries (blue arrow)??? Did you find those out in the wild? Did you find the storages in the wild? I assume you made them. There are a lot though! Nice screenshot!

Good eye! The second photo is at the *back end* of the line. Down there I'm going to start making the rows 10 across and then fill them starting from farthest to closest to base to try to save some time. I had them closer to the LZ at one time but I had to move them as the FPS was lagging.
Yes I will be unpacking them but when the new fireworks collecting thing came into play I had to drop that initiative and work on hoarding fireworks as I think they will be no more at the end of August? So I just must have them, must!
Yes I found that broken extra large platform and brought it back to base thinking I wanted to begin to collect those as well, but then wussed out.
Yeah I'm rearranging my base so you see the seats. I had to move things away from my LZ and habitat as my FPS was down to 9. After a base reconfigure, my main base FPS is 35 which is a GREAT improvement. I started bringing back seats as I don't need to package them with the new storage system. Anything I can save and transport without having to use packagers is what I have to do. I've even begun collecting broken wind turbines and solar panels as don't need to package them any longer to get them back to the junkyard.

you aint hidin nuttin from me :D
Trust but verify! I get it 😊

research pods.PNG