Sign in to follow this  
Marine

Just Getting Started

Hello there,

I just bought this game and played through the tutorial. Any advice for a new Astroneer starting out?

Thank you 

Try not to die. When you are just starting out it is very easy to do through falling or suffocation. Although it doesn't really cost you anything when you do die, you still need to do the "Corpse run" to collect all the equipment you had on your backpack and that can be really difficult depending on where you died. Another thing is to collect as many research bytes as you can as soon as you can. Trees and plants have nodes attached to them that will give you bytes, and research "nuggets" can be placed in the research chamber to get even more bytes. Use the bytes to research the technology that you think will help you to move forward. One other thing I always try to do is mine soil deep underground. A little later you will need to collect soil in canisters to run your soil centrifuge. The soil can be collected almost anywhere, but I try to find a dead-end cave deep underground to do this. Doing this soil mining underground keeps the surface clear and you don't end up with a "Grand Canyon" near your base that could cause surface navigation issues and falls to your death. Whatever you decide to do have fun! You can approach this game in any number of ways, but all the decisions are your to make on how that happens. Good luck and keep exploring!

Don't watch any more videos. It will ruin surprises, new things etc. 
Like FCB said, when first starting out don't disturb any of the ground around your base until you acquire the proper mods. With the proper mods you can keep your base fairly flat and keep things smooth without having to have many holes and divots around the base.
Don't play if you have plans, as those plans will fall by the wayside. You may think you have played for an hour or so but it will be 4 or 5 hours so plan accordingly. Set you phone alarm if you have to otherwise you will miss appointments.
Tell your friends and family about the game! It will be a great way (once dedicated servers are introduced) to have fun with those you love!
Start an AAR (After Action Report) to keep us up to date on your progress. There is an AAR on the forum now about cutting a moon in half if you are looking for some inspiration 

Welcome to Astroneer! Have fun!

Thank you very much. Great advice from the both of you. Most appreciated. 

5 hours ago, Flyingcrowbar said:

You are totally welcome, and welcome to the brotherhood/sisterhood/neighborhood!

Lol, you forgot Astorhood !!

I think Astrohood is more fitting since the game is caller Astroneer, not Astorneer. I believe that T may have had a typo when he originally entered it, but only he can say for sure.

28 minutes ago, Flyingcrowbar said:

I think Astrohood is more fitting since the game is caller Astroneer, not Astorneer. I believe that T may have had a typo when he originally entered it, but only he can say for sure.

I'm liking Astorhood. It has a certain exclusiveness a certain richness to it. That for some reason I'm attracted to. Am I an Astroneer snob? Maybe, maybe.
Do I now need a platinum suit? A diamond encrusted suit? A Tiffany™️ or Cartier™️ suit? I don't know if I need them, but now I want them! 
Thinking about it a bit more, a diamond bedazzler™️ would scratch my itch! Yes! A bedazzler™️! We have the diamonds already. We insert the diamonds into the splitter, (I found a use for the splitter!!!!) a screen with a keyboard opens up. We type in our letters or numbers or both and then, on our spacesuit they go and let the fun begin!
Plus, plus when we are playing beachball soccer, we can have uniforms with names and numbers on them!
I see another win/win!

That's a hoot! Conspicuous consumption can and seems to be some people's goal in life. However, even though the Astor Family (That is who you are referencing here, correct?) has a long and storied history in both Europe and North America, they have little to do with this game. As such, I still vote for Astrohood. I would still like to hear from TMarcher74 on whether his original use of Astorneer was a typo since he is the original author of the term and the reason for this little discussion. 

4 hours ago, Flyingcrowbar said:

That's a hoot! 

Thank you thank you!

4 hours ago, Flyingcrowbar said:

However, even though the Astor Family (That is who you are referencing here, correct?) 

Si! 

Posted (edited)

Astroneer is an open-ended game, so there are no in-game directives aside from the aforementioned "don't die" goal.  To make the game enjoyable, have a goal or two (or more) in mind to work toward.  Some of the "suggested" goals (so quoted because they are not required) are:

• Visit every planet
  • Explore every planet
  • Interact with items you find
  • Dig, dig, dig

I've also created some goals of my own, such as a highway network connecting various points of interest on the surface of Sylva, allowing easier vehicular travel around the planet, as well as helping with navigation.  You can build structures using the terrain tool and with some creativity, even embed objects in there to enhance them.

The previous suggestions are good, but I would also add a few more (in no particular order):

DON'T OVERMINE.  If compound and resin are right next to your base, leave it there and mine as needed.  Organic is always in abundance (on most planets), so there's no need to strip mine these early on.  This reduces resource clutter before you can get storage under control, and thus reduces the stress of "where do I put all this?"  Resource "pits" are the usual solution, but loose resource nuggets can get a bit out of hand.  Don't forget your starting habitat has two one peg storage slots on it, and one two peg storage slot.  But, the two peg one is usually where you'll want to store the oxygenator.

INITIAL DROP SHIPMENT:  Don't forget to check out the initial drop package Exo Dynamics provides you, which contains a starting platform, medium printer, and oxygenator.  This is accessed via the tiny kiosk on the landing platform next to your starting habitat.  Note that "re-deploying" them will delete those starting items (just those, not any you built), and repackage them.

ENERGY PLANNING.  Your initial habitat provides a very small amount of power, which will not be enough fairly quickly.  Be prepared to build other sources of power, such as solar and wind devices.  Use the in-game "Astropedia" (hit F1), to find out what the wind and sun conditions are like on the current planet and build power sources to take advantage of them.  Note that small solar and wind turbines can be placed on platforms/storage or deployed on the ground and connected with power cables to a platform.

WORK LIGHT.  Trust me, you'll want it.  Should be one of your early objectives.

LIFE SUPPORT:  Learn how the oxygenator works.  Without it, tether networks won't work as intended.  It needs to be attached to a structure network that the tethers can reach.  It's OK to explore with a vehicle, because all vehicles will provide oxygen, but those without an oxygenator cannot utilize tethers.

TETHERS.  Always carry a pack of tethers with you early on.  If you run out, you should print more soon.

CABLE MANAGEMENT:  Learn how tethers work versus the power cables.  Power cables connect platforms and structures, providing power and oxygen (the cable will have a yellow stripe if providing power, and light blue edges if providing oxygen) to a "structure" network.  Tethers provide power and oxygen between a structure network and only the Astroneer(s).  Tethers will not connect platforms/structures to each other.

ASTROPEDIA.  The aforementioned Astropedia is very handy.  Use it to find out what resources are on what planets.  Not everything is available on any one planet, but all planets do have the "basic" resources of: Compound, resin, organic, quartz, graphite, ammonium, and laterite (aluminum).  It is also handy for planning the harvesting of atmospheric gasses.

EXPLORE UNDERGROUND.  Some resources are only found in subterranean locations.  There are also other useful and interesting things to discover.

BEACONS.  Craft beacons and carry them with you when you start to explore the surface with a vehicle.  Drop them within site of each other and possibly go so far as to create a "finger" with the terrain tool that points back home.  Then attach a beacon to it.  This helps prevent the hours of searching for your base because you became disoriented.

VEHICLES:  The buggy and tractor are you best bet for early on.  The buggy is great for exploring, and the tractor for hauling stuff.  The rovers are power hogs, but excellent transport vehicles.

OXYGEN TANKS.  Unlock them before you start going too far way from your base without tethers.  One is good, but two will help you greatly.  They will, however, take spots on your backpack.

DRILLS.  The first drill is relatively easy to make.  It requires readily available resources.  It will also be necessary fairly early when you need to get through tougher terrain.

BYTE BUDGETING.  Before unlocking a new item with bytes, verify you can actually build it.  The catalogue entry will show you what is needed to build the item.  If you cannot yet get that resource, you may want to spend the bytes on something else.  This becomes really important early on, where byte accumulation can be slow.

Edited by Kuros Paladin

On 7/28/2019 at 2:09 AM, Flyingcrowbar said:

As such, I still vote for Astrohood. I would still like to hear from TMarcher74 on whether his original use of Astorneer was a typo since he is the original author of the term and the reason for this little discussion. 

Yes here I am ,you summoned me @Flyingcrowbar ?
Sorry missed this conversation,
I would like Astrohood since It has got the Prefix of Astronomer and feels more related to space and stuff(Link), Astorhood is like a religion for some reason( no offence @The Touch of Grey Gamer)
Also I saw your post and I got an idea of using the splitter as a score board while playing "Astro league" (not Astor league btw) with the beach ball, what do you think @The Touch of Grey Gamer?

YES! YES! & YES! 

Astroneer is my religion! Oops, Astorneer! 
I'm a 5th Avenue, Rodeo Drive, Champs-Elysees type of Astorneer. I'm high end! 
It's not that I look down upon Astroneers, I mean, the universe needs ditch diggers too! Am I right?
However, I don't look up to them either. Ok, ok, I look down on them a little bit. But they are just Astroneers while I, I am a Astorneer. 
I think I'm space nobility. I'm an Astor, that's pretty fancy. My family owns EXO Dynamics (and all its subsidiaries) after all. 
If you look closely on the bottom of the, soon to be released, jetpacks, you will see my family's crest on the side.

And just so you know @TMarcher74, in this universe it is not the Ivy League but the Astor League that will be introducing beachball soccer to the masses. The Astor League Beachball Soccer League will be holding open tryouts at Party City Stadium, on Sylvia, Sunday August 12, at noon! 

LOL! I'm in for the tryouts. Which planet Sylva, yours or mine, or perhaps, TMarcher74's planet Sylva. Way too many planet Sylvas around these days.