Im thinking of More futuristic transport on planets. Currently we have rovers in all sizes, a tractor and a buggy. But i think it would be fun to have a flying *car/plane/Craft/vehicle* . Mabye having flying cars.. or rather hovercrafts in the game will make it to futuristic, but mabye just a car looking thing that flyes only like 1-3m over the ground that is'nt affected by the terrain under it. mabye it seems useless or rather unnecesserry*** but many times have i had 2 bases on other sides of the planet and would either have to rocket there… or rover there, and both are inconvenient. since the rocket is for longer runs. Its more expensive to use… and since the rover is made for Shorter runs... it takes longer and the tarrain is enoying to pass the land With... mabye if you comment possible problems or questions i will have more spesific idea for Craft.. i have other ideas like Trains/conveyors and HUGE Space Crafts. Btw if you arent sure of the design, just think of some sci-fi starwars at the sice of a medium rover... please comment

Posted (edited)

WARNING- Spoilers on future update, scroll down on your own risk

Guess what we will be having jetpacks in the next update called the wanderer update!!

Edited by TMarcher74

Posted (edited)

i was gonna ask for that :D great

altho are they useless.. or for the same use as my suggestion?

Edited by Meliodas

1 hour ago, redstonerti said:

I really don't thing that jetapcks are going to be faster than a rover to reach a different base

It surely won't be faster but I am sure it will be double the fun and better then using a rover which gets stuck at every rock or falls into a pit.

20 hours ago, redstonerti said:

Still, what if you want to transport materials too? Your player can only carry so much

Uhh rovers with silos or storages?

Facepalm.

The first post asked for more futuristic transport so he/she could have two bases.

Then you said that there are going to be jetpacks next update that could be used instead of rovers to move between bases.

I said that would be slowet than a rover and you replied with "it will be better than a rover that gets stuck on every pebble"

I insisted that jetpacks wouldn't be better than rovers because you would also want to transport materials.

THEN YOU SAY, WHY DON'T YOU USE A ROVER WHEN YOU HAVE BEEN ARGUING ALL THIS TIME THAT YOU COULD USE A JETPACK INSTEAD.

On 7/22/2019 at 9:26 PM, Meliodas said:

i was gonna ask for that :D great

altho are they useless.. or for the same use as my suggestion?

Well as things are currently configured, yes jetpacks will be less than optimal 
First there are 13 backpack slots
The 2 jet packs have to go into the 2 moveable slots, which means, NO LIGHTS while using jetpacks
11 slots remain
You can't use tethers with a JP so you are going to have to have a Portable Oxygenator (PO). 
10 slots remain
That PO is going to need power add the Portable Generator.
9 slots remain
That PG is going to need fuel
You have to have at least one (although most people use 2) oxygen tanks
8/7/6 slots remain depending on how one plays
In a cave? Need a mod to dig? Want to carry a can of soil? 
Need to have a packager with you?
What else do you need with you when you explore? 

As you can see the way backpacks are currently designed the addition of jet packs will prevent lighting which is not good at all. JP's will greatly limit the amount of anything an Astroneer can carry because the JP has a multitude of requirements

My guess is and this is just my guess. Well more of a hope really. 
The Wanderererer update delay is due to a backpack reconfiguration. The second I saw the video clip I saw the obvious flaws and posted them straight away. I'm not saying SES listened to me, but I'm sure I was not the only one that once that short video clip was released did post about its obvious flaws right away as well. 
My hope is that the new backpack will be like the shuttle in that it will open and close to become expandable to hold more slots. And maybe they will put the lights within the helmets where they belong and have been since our beloved July 20, 1969. That move right there will save 2 backpack slots and when using jetpacks won't leave us blind in caves! A win/win/win!

4 hours ago, redstonerti said:

THEN YOU SAY, WHY DON'T YOU USE A ROVER WHEN YOU HAVE BEEN ARGUING ALL THIS TIME THAT YOU COULD USE A JETPACK INSTEAD.

Uhh sorry I did not know you were talking about storage problems while using jetpacks😅.

2 hours ago, Blind Io said:

Just gonna drop the clip for reference, don't mind me. 

https://streamable.com/56jn4

Thanks for dropping the clip, I badly needed it.

On 7/25/2019 at 7:02 AM, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

The 2 jet packs have to go into the 2 moveable slots, which means, NO LIGHTS while using jetpacks

...unless you put them on the gun...

9 hours ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

The lights or jetpacks?

Lol think if you can put the jetpack on your terrain tool and then you switch it on and the tool goes flying away 🤣, I think he meant the lights on the tool(that would not be of much use since its always moving around and only can lighten your right side)

21 hours ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

The lights or jetpacks?

lights...but terrain tool jetpacks is the first thing I'm trying when that update comes out...

I'm just going to use them for random short-ish jumps and SO YES DEFINITELY in the cave to reach things I've never reached before... I would have them consume a small amount of oxygen and power during use...and I'm probably never going to make...or even research that Portable Oxygenator...just useless to me...

I have plenty of trouble finding my way around some of the caves with tether lines to follow. With a jet pack I will be hopelessly lost in no time at all, and once that happens it's just a short time until the oxygen runs out and suffocation begins.