Sign in to follow this  
The Touch of Grey Gamer

Lunar Update

First, thank you to the SES team for the Lunar Update

Thus far there are a lot of things to like. 
I like the small wind turbine additions/improvements 
The fuel canisters look better although I hate them outside of a spacecraft, next to the rockets, annoying. I don't mind the fuel canisters but can't they be 'added' (and emptied) into the spacecraft and there could be a some type of fuel gauge? 
There was an update to the small solar as well? I think I remember

The big white triangle ball thingy with the three fireworks, just why? 
I wish the new solar array was that size! Well the solar array is not that new any more but it would look much better at a much larger size.
Fireworks? Fireworks? Who the .... has ever posted a word or a video regarding fireworks? Fireworks are not exciting, thrilling, enticing, and they do not make me want to travel from planet to planet to collect them all (different colors yippie!). I've not seen any videos that have the title of 'fireworks' cause you know, it is not a thing anyone would watch. People that make videos want viewers, fireworks provides zero views or likes. Want proof, read this forum. Ever seen a single post about fireworks? 
I understand the connection to the lunar landing but that was one day, 50 years ago. I'm expected to travel to all the planets, to find fireworks (not a big deal as they are literally 50 feet from everywhere!), to bring them back to one planet, to shoot them off, so I can see different colors and do it again? You just can't be serious. Why, just why, would I or anyone in this game spend more than a few seconds creating and then firing fireworks? I shot off fireworks once for the achievement and not since. Who does? People use fireworks after completing the achievement? No they don't!
I think the new lunar spacecraft and suit etc. was enough to 'celebrate' 50 years........ the fireworks thing is just, well a grade of D-. The only thing that prevents a grade of F is that they work (I suppose, I'll never find out). Again more eye candy with zero substance which we got enough of in this update with the suit and visor. More substance less eye candy!
You should have used the big white triangle ball thingy for something else, maybe in the future you will? Because right now, yikes. Three little fireworks on those huge things, eh no. Swing and a miss with that one there SES. Too bad for the person that worked on the big white triangle thingy only to have it land in the pile of obscure space junk that no player will ever talk about or use again. IMHO, a waste of resources. But there is hope, it could be repackaged in the future for something useful but as it stands now, the big white triangle; looks beautiful, great size, just seems to me to be thrown together without any real thought of the fact that nobody cares about fireworks and 'if' they do collect them from all the planets, once, it won't be done ever again.
In the amount of time it took to create this could we not have gotten something, just one other thing off of the suggestion forum? 

Finding the spacecraft to unlock the suit and visor was extremely cool. However, could we have had the option to NOT have it 'lit-up'? Having it so that a blind person could find it, well that removed all hopes of any type of exploration, adventure, quest didn't it? Thanks SES! Not everyone that plays this game is 5 years old or has never played a computer game ever in their life (why you always strive to meet those two self imposed thresholds is beyond everyone but you). It would have been great to have the option to not have a spot light pointing to where it is. Cool, to have it for an unlock, can't stand the constant hand holding. 

Great bump in the frame rate! I jumped about 15 - 20 FPS depending on the planet. Great job! 

The silos? Aaahhh yeah, grade of A+. But that is going to happen every time isn't it? Every time a company provides a good or service that its very own customer base has been asking (begging/pleading) for, for literally months and years, that hey, when the customers get what they have been begging for, BOOM! Instant happiness! Fancy that! Too bad not everything has to meet this criteria. 
The new platforms are good. They are ok. I'm not really one for small things in this game. The small things that are made are nice. However, the larger things are better! Better looking. Better size for space, make more sense.  

Overall grade? 

I don't think I've done or seen everything so I'll wait until I grade it. 
What do you think?

I'm relatively certain these are a limited time item like the colorful tethers around the holidays.  I like them and think they're a nice seasonal item for summer-time...assuming that's what they are.  Hell, even if they're permanent, I'm a fan.  I enjoyed the quest of finding them all and even found a Leopard Ball along the way, a sweet-sweet cherry on top!  I'm rather pleased with myself, and I totally made a copy of this save file with all of my fireworks so that I can launch them off, reload, and use them again and again, as much as I'd like.  

And I suspect the lights on the Astroneer-LEM are because the IRL version was lit up like a freakin' Christmas tree!!  

• Spotlights
  • Flood light
  • Running lights
  • Pole lights
  • A post-landing flashing beacon
  • A rendezvous beacon visible to the human for 60 miles
  • A Xenon high-intensity tracking light visible to the human eye for 160 miles
  • 5 colored docking lights for orientation
  • One radioluminescent docking target

And those are just the ones on the outside.  Maybe ask NASA about the "overkill".  But for real...the game doesn't apply the same logic to lights as it does to objects.  Have you ever seen the glow of a marble, an EXO Research Aid, or a Tether before you saw the actual item??  Same-same.

Fireworks_Rainbow.gif

Fireworks_Rainbow.png

7 hours ago, Gina said:

I'm relatively certain these are a limited time item like the colorful tethers around the holidays.  I like them and think they're a nice seasonal item for summer-time...assuming that's what they are.  Hell, even if they're permanent, I'm a fan.  I enjoyed the quest of finding them all and even found a Leopard Ball along the way, a sweet-sweet cherry on top!  I'm rather pleased with myself, and I totally made a copy of this save file with all of my fireworks so that I can launch them off, reload, and use them again and again, as much as I'd like.  

And I suspect the lights on the Astroneer-LEM are because the IRL version was lit up like a freakin' Christmas tree!!  

• Spotlights
  • Flood light
  • Running lights
  • Pole lights
  • A post-landing flashing beacon
  • A rendezvous beacon visible to the human for 60 miles
  • A Xenon high-intensity tracking light visible to the human eye for 160 miles
  • 5 colored docking lights for orientation
  • One radioluminescent docking target

And those are just the ones on the outside.  Maybe ask NASA about the "overkill".  But for real...the game doesn't apply the same logic to lights as it does to objects.  Have you ever seen the glow of a marble, an EXO Research Aid, or a Tether before you saw the actual item??  Same-same.

Fireworks_Rainbow.gif

Fireworks_Rainbow.png

+1! The pic is awesome! 

Thanks for sharing

19 minutes ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

+1! The pic is awesome! 

Thanks for sharing

Thanks!  🚀👩‍🚀

Posted (edited)

My guess about the next big announcement would be the space snail.
What do you guys think?

Edited by TMarcher74

Posted (edited)

@Gina would you pease upload the save file here? I would love to experience the beauty of fireworks in astroneer.
(Also I have to unlock an achievement ;))
That gif up there is so cool.

Edited by TMarcher74

On 7/19/2019 at 8:38 AM, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

Fireworks are not exciting, thrilling, enticing, and they do not make me want to travel from planet to planet to collect them all (different colors yippie!). I've not seen any videos that have the title of 'fireworks' cause you know, it is not a thing anyone would watch. People that make videos want viewers, fireworks provides zero views or likes. Want proof, read this forum. Ever seen a single post about fireworks? 

What's so enticing about fireworks? 🤔

Posted (edited)

Great job, Gina! A quick question, though, did you say that the in-game LEM is lit up like a christmas tree? I have been searching DeSolo and Novus and have been unable to locate the little bugger thus far. Knowing it glows at least as bright as a zebra ball would be good information to have in my continued search. If you don't want to give out a spoiler please let me know by a p-message.

Edited by Flyingcrowbar

Posted (edited)

From Desolo orbit it shows as a tiny bit of clutter (you can just make out what it is if you squint) but it has bright spotlights on one side lighting up the terrain in front of it.  It might not be so obvious during the day so you may need to keep orbiting until nightfall at its location.  I'm not sure if it's guaranteed to be in an unobscured location at high elevation.  I'm hoping it doesn't spawn against hills/craters or in a crevasse.

Edited by Charybdis1969

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Flyingcrowbar said:

Great job, Gina! A quick question, though, did you say that the in-game LEM is lit up like a christmas tree? I have been searching DeSolo and Novus and have been unable to locate the little bugger thus far. Knowing it glows at least as bright as a zebra ball would be good information to have in my continued search. If you don't want to give out a spoiler please let me know by a p-message.

On Desolo start the search from the either of the 2 big purple things, no it does not glow or give out any light but you should be easily able to spot it as it is as big as the smallest shuttle.

Edited by TMarcher74

The Developers were being cagey about it by saying that it will be on "A Moon" which means either DeSolo or Novus to me. DeSolo is the obvious choice IMO, but they can be a sneaky lot those SES folks. I'm wondering whether there is a random number generator that determines whether yours gets placed on D or N. 

Also @Flyingcrowbar ,this is just a guess (my own theory) , the lander should mostly be on the elevated grey part, I haven't seen any screenshot showing the lander on the yellow part, so I hope that helps you to find it, if you still did not find it then link the file here, I might give it a search.

Thanks to both TMarcher and Charybdis for the pointers on finding the LEM. I hope to go searching again later today, and I hope to report back with a positive result.

1 minute ago, Flyingcrowbar said:

Thanks to both TMarcher and Charybdis for the pointers on finding the LEM. I hope to go searching again later today, and I hope to report back with a positive result.

ATB, also make sure to restart the game if you want the suit when you find the lander.

Time for an update! I found it on Desolo yesterday. The "orbit and observe" method did the trick on finding the general location then landing close by and walking in the correct direction did the rest. The LEM itself does not glow, but the one I found had 2 lights mounted on it that lit up the ground in front of it, kind of like a set of headlights. These lights, however, did not appear to be visible from orbit and since I spent quite a bit of time in orbit I got to see the planet in both light and dark conditions.

10 hours ago, Flyingcrowbar said:

Time for an update! I found it on Desolo yesterday. The "orbit and observe" method did the trick on finding the general location then landing close by and walking in the correct direction did the rest. The LEM itself does not glow, but the one I found had 2 lights mounted on it that lit up the ground in front of it, kind of like a set of headlights. These lights, however, did not appear to be visible from orbit and since I spent quite a bit of time in orbit I got to see the planet in both light and dark conditions.

Congratulations !! Hope you got you new palette and visor.

I certainly did! Also, thanks for the tip about restarting the game, because it didn't show up in my inventory until after I did that.

I still haven't seen any indication of the LEM in my game. I don't know if it hasn't spawned yet (which I can't imagine why it wouldn't have) or it spawned in a weird place and I can't see the glow of its flood lamps on the terrain.

@KiethBlackLion, first make sure you're on version 1.3.13.0. If/Once you are, you can sometimes spot the LEM's lights from your shuttle.

SPOILER_Lunar Module Light.png

When I spotted it from orbit, it was during the day. It was the shape and size of the item on the surface that clued me in. Compared to the other wreckage that you can see from orbit, the LEM looks different. Since it was daytime the lights were not a factor in determining its location, and since they only seem to shine in one direction, the LEM's orientation to your orbit above the equator may have an effect on how well you can see it at night. Has anyone found a LEM located on Novus? The developers did say "On a moon" and not on Desolo. As such, I'm wondering whether a certain percentage of the time (Those darned random number generators at work again) the LEM gets placed on Novus instead of Desolo.

I haven't found it yet but now that I know we can look from orbit I'll try again. I think I spent around 45 minutes trying to find it yesterday just by driving around the moon.