TMarcher74

Ideas on storms and its effects(Also contains an idea on a new item)

I know that each planet is going to have different types of weather system but I would to get into the effects and new stuff they can add into the game which uses the weather/storm.

Storms should carry debris and research pods which when hits the astroneer should cause some damage, these debris and research pods could be captured by a new item - 

The Net -

• Researched for 1500 bytes
  • Recipe - 1 Plastic and 2 rubber
  • Built by - Medium Platform
  • Can look something like this-Bownet-Lax-Backstop.jpg
  • Every time a storm hits the net should opened manually or the net should have a sensor which senses an upcoming storm and opens by itself which should also have a probability of getting a debris or a research pod like- 
    Debris probability - 75% small debris ,15% medium, 5% large debris and the other 5% should have nothing in the net(bad luck).
    Research pod probability - 25% any research pod , 75% nothing
  • The net can have other uses like used as a life saver/trampoline i.e. when jumped off a very large height the net should be able to catch the astronomer without any fall damage.
  • The net should also have a rotating system(manual/automatic) so that it catches debris and pods to its maximum potential.

Storms should boost the power generated by the wind vanes by 100% i.e. 2x power generation during storms and all the solar panels, arrays should stop working due to the storm, even all the other items should stop woking during storms while displaying "Paused due to storm" which can again be resumed later.

Covering yourself(Astroneer) with a wall will not cancel the effect of storm on you, you are only safe in a habitat or a seat or by digging down to enter the cave system meaning that the storm will have no effect in caves.

If you die during a storm , you shall loose some of the times available in your back pack.

Storms can be of different types on different planets 

• Sylva - Default storm
  • Desolo - No storm
  • Calidor - It should have a really strong sandy storms(difficult to see through) which carries huge amount of sand and if you jump it should also carry you for some distance, like reduced gravity.
  • Vesania - Calm storms i.e. it should have clear storms but with very high winds, also the storm can contain some seeds of exotic plants which can be captured in nets, since Vesania is filled with rich flora. 
  • Novus - It can have those tumbleweeds in the storms which we used to have in the early access.240px-Hazard-Tumbleweeds.jpg?version=649
  • Glacio - It should have a snowy storm which should cover you up in layers of snow if you stand in one place for a long time
  • Atrox - The storm here should be a toxic fallout in a particular region which should contain toxic gasses and when you enter into it will slowly start to die, hence advised not to enter that region.

If you guys have any suggestions or new ideas then please comment down :)

In EA I used to find hydrazine canisters blown along by the storms and also lying randomly about on the planet's surface. Don't know where they came from, but I was always happy to find them. I don't recall finding other items or resources in that manner, but those could also be added into the mix of stuff that your net could capture.

1 hour ago, Flyingcrowbar said:

In EA I used to find hydrazine canisters blown along by the storms and also lying randomly about on the planet's surface. Don't know where they came from, but I was always happy to find them. I don't recall finding other items or resources in that manner, but those could also be added into the mix of stuff that your net could capture.

+1

This does seem to be a "Lots of lookers, but few replies" Forum. I think The Net is a good idea if they re-implement the storms at some future point.

Posted (edited)
On 7/15/2019 at 1:29 PM, Flyingcrowbar said:

This does seem to be a "Lots of lookers, but few replies" Forum.

I was going to reply but I've been busy lately...with other threads...with real life... I shall reply now...

On 7/14/2019 at 12:19 AM, TMarcher74 said:

Storms should carry debris and research pods which when hits the astroneer should cause some damage,

This is the best storm idea yet! It gives reward to being in the storm while keeping the old storm's good and bad. I would totally make a "storm fortress"... nets along the outside...windows to catch things that blow along...storage to put them on... I could live on storms!

these debris and research pods could be captured by a new item - 

The Net -

• Researched for 1500 bytes
  • Recipe - 1 Plastic and 2 rubber
  • Built by - Medium Platform
  • Can look something like this-Bownet-Lax-Backstop.jpg

definitely late game...this would be OP early game...lol

Every time a storm hits the net should opened manually or the net should have a sensor which senses an upcoming storm and opens by itself which should also have a probability of getting a debris or a research pod like- 
Debris probability - 75% small debris ,15% medium, 5% large debris and the other 5% should have nothing in the net(bad luck).
Research pod probability - 25% any research pod , 75% nothing

I think the things that fly around should spawn as the storm moves within a certain radius of you... no probability game... The ones you grab don't despawn so you get to keep them (YAY!) but the others disappear... (oof)

The net should also have a rotating system(manual/automatic) so that it catches debris and pods to its maximum potential.

I say manual. It would be so fun to fold and turn this myself!

Storms should boost the power generated by the wind vanes by 100% i.e. 2x power generation during storms and all the solar panels, arrays should stop working due to the storm, even all the other items should stop woking during storms while displaying "Paused due to storm" which can again be resumed later.

Covering yourself(Astroneer) with a wall will not cancel the effect of storm on you, you are only safe in a habitat or a seat or by digging down to enter the cave system meaning that the storm will have no effect in caves.

definitely...

If you die during a storm , you shall loose some of the times available in your back pack.

*cringes*

Sylva - Default storm

...but with pods and debris this time! :D

• Desolo - No storm
  • Calidor - It should have a really strong sandy storms(difficult to see through) which carries huge amount of sand and if you jump it should also carry you for some distance, like reduced gravity.

👍

• Vesania - Calm storms i.e. it should have clear storms but with very high winds, also the storm can contain some seeds of exotic plants which can be captured in nets, since Vesania is filled with rich flora. 
  • Novus - It can have those tumbleweeds in the storms which we used to have in the early access.240px-Hazard-Tumbleweeds.jpg?version=649

I would like for these to have lightning storms and dust devils... 👍 for flying seeds!

Glacio - It should have a snowy storm which should cover you up in layers of snow if you stand in one place for a long time

If you know me, you know that I like to be in charge of the terrain...so I don't like this... I'm just thinking the default storm...but more harsh.

Edited by CopperyMarrow15

Posted (edited)

Atrox - The storm here should be a toxic fallout in a particular region which should contain toxic gasses and when you enter into it will slowly start to die, hence advised not to enter that region.

👍

(I don't know how to edit in a quote...did this a bit too late...)

Edited by CopperyMarrow15