Sign in to follow this  
Ushot2late

Extra Large Storage is... Useless.

The extra large storage was something I was really excited to get to when I first started playing the game, as organization is one of my favorite parts of any sandbox. But i quickly realized that it just didn't make any sense.

It's a teir-4 (Uses 8 "dots") Item that has 31 slots. For comparison, currently the most efficient way to store things is with a large storage with 4 storage silos on them. This can hold a total of 96 items in a tier-3 (4 "dots") slot. This is a ton, but you might be thinking "well those take titanium to craft so they're kinda pricey. To which i say, yes. You are right.

But even if you use the medium storage, the 4 of which can be made with only 2 full soil canisters, you can hold 32 items in a teir-3 slot. It's OVER DOUBLE the amount of storage of the extra large storage for arguably a commensurate amount of work. To get the full storage you need to use the centrifuge only 3 times. Twice for the resin for the 8 medium storage, and once for the clay for the 2 large storage. Plastic isn't horribly hard to make, but even if it took 5 times as long to make the large storage/medium storage combo instead, i still would do that over the extra large storage.

I'm not sure how many slots it needs to be balanced and don't have much of an idea of what that would be as i don't claim to be a game developer. But right now it's disappointing and will go down as one of the only items in the game i have never crafted.

P.S I searched for "extra large storage" in the forum search bar and didn't see anything, but I find it hard to believe that no one has posted about this. So if it has been, Feel free to delete the post.

Edited by Ushot2late

I have plenty of items that I have researched and have never even built 1 of, and I really don't think I'm missing out on anything by it. Some of the items are very useful, while others are much less so. It would be nice if all of them had some purpose, but at this point, that doesn't appear to be the case. Maybe it was the developer's way to keep people running their research chambers so they could get enough bytes to research all of the items.