Sign in to follow this  
mike mobberley

I have a suggestion for a chest to be added to the game

I was thinking it would be nice to have a chest in the game to carry stuff around. The chest could be used for the basic stuff like materials you find in the world from drilling up or what have you. But most importantly the debris you find you can also store. So making several trips to the shredder can be easier. The chest itself you can carry in your arms like a solar panel or the bigger windmill. Just a thought. 

The player can carry up to medium sized items... So as this would be more of an early game item, what capacity would be fitting in comparison to the medium storage?

I think being able to carry debris in the chest is a bad idea for 2 reasons:

1) Internal storage would be required, which I think would be bad for the game. The game's aesthetic is based around alll of the supplies being outside mounted on little circles, and it would fly in the face of the design
2) You can already carry debris, if you package it. Graphite is hard to find naturally but can be easily collected with the centrifuge either directly or by turning ceramic into drill mods and getting at a 2:1 ratio from the trading station.

As for something a little more than medium storage, I think that there is a thin line of this working, and if it is, it could make the medium storage obsolete and the silo significantly less worth it. Here is why i think this and what my idea is.

The medium storage is exceptionally easy to make, with the Large Storage + 4 Medium Storage combo being very cheap to make, and the byte cost is pretty low for them. The storage silos on the other hand are quite a bit more expensive to make and offer 3x the storage capacity, but require titanium. Titanium is decently hard to find, but in the end, if you go to Glacio, it's really not that hard if you have a rover. I'm not sure what the byte cost is for the silo, but even if it's thousands of bytes that's easy mode to get if you walk in the caves in Glacio.

So all of that being said, how many slots does it have and what do you make it out of?

Well since the medium storage has 8 and the silo has 24, 16 would be the obvious answer for how many slots it would have.Given that titanium is WAY harder to get than resin (for the sake of this let's quantify it and say it's 10x harder to get than resin once you have the centrifuge). So the amount of work to get it should be about 5x more than getting resin.

So what's harder to get than resin but also not so hard to get that you might as well go get titanium instead?

My idea is 1 plastic and 1 Aluminum. Aluminum is in a ton of recipes, but it's found on every planet so it's decently easy to find but not as fast as farming resin or even something like ceramic. This also means that you would at least need the chem bench. Because of the nature of plastic, you'd need a pretty substantial soil operation as well to get enough of it for a full storage system, but it's doable without drill mods or a rover, too.