When the OCD takes over.

physixtential

Idea: Give us a terrain took option for perfectly flat surfaces so that the following doesn't take me 3 hours (This would be a great way to let people entertain themselves until more content is in the game): 

Perhaps a cube tool, and/or a grid snapping option, and/or a size adjuster.

Edited by physixtential

what's your trick for finding the initial "flat" surface?

I find I can usually get a flat surface from the bases of nodes, but that only seems to work on Terran. I've been trying to do something similar on the moon, but I just can't find any flat surfaces :/

On a related note, I'm building a road around the moon... managing the transitions from flat to flat can be a bit....tricky ;)

9 hours ago, physixtential said:

Idea: Give us a terrain took option for perfectly flat surfaces so that the following doesn't take me 3 hours (This would be a great way to let people entertain themselves until more content is in the game): 

Perhaps a cube tool, and/or a grid snapping option, and/or a size adjuster.

Tell me please, How you can do that 

This should be in "Astroneer Feature Requests, Ideas" It's a frequently brought up topic.

Ideally I think the game needs to keep add, subtract, and flatten and add a smooth option, and a level tool that makes completely level ceiling, floors, and walls, depending on the angle of the surface you point to. The only downside to a level implementation like that is it would be hard making walls line up at perfect 90 degree angles. 

Like what you did here @physixtential - confess to be a little OCD here myself, although I am impressed by how far you took this. Typically build my own walls around the settlements, and tend to build a road out of my base with a wall on each side leading from the vehicle pad. My most common feature is a room with a roof on it to hide during storms - the trouble is when trying to flatten the ceiling from the inside I tend to fall through the ground a lot. The astroneer starts jittering up and down and within a second or two drops through the ground :-/ As a hack I try to hollow out a basement such that the astroneer only falls a few feet, instead of dropping to a deep cave and dying.