nothing to see here... just another automation idea

Automation... the most original topic ever to be used on this forum...NOT

I have an idea for yet another automated system that is to be used for the simple task of moving things around the base. (This is new...) I believe it would be a start to much better automation system in the game: Conveyors!! They are platforms that have, instead of feet, a sort of monorail system that brings them across a tethered network of rails placed like Extenders. The "Monorail Conveyor Shaft" as I call it is made separately from the "Monorail Conveyor Platform" and the Monorail Conveyor Platform is placed on to the Monorail Conveyor Shaft. Only one platform can be placed on a shaft. The Monorail Conveyor Shaft plugs in to one platform at one end another platform at the other making a nice little line... They move across this line to carry anything from one platform to another. For an example of how they are used, imagine 3 Medium Platform A; 1 has a source of power, 1 has a Medium Printer, and 1 has 2 Resin. The first and second are connected by cable and the second and third are connected by conveyor; there is a Medium Monorail Conveyor Platform on the conveyor. You start the Medium Printer printing a Medium Platform B. The Medium Monorail Conveyor Platform moves toward the third platform and the 2 Resin are placed onto the conveyor platform. The conveyor platform moves along the conveyor to touch the second platform transferring the Resin to the printer and starting the printing process. A new auto-use feature would be added to modules allowing repeated processes.

Monorail Conveyor Shaft Bundle:

Printed in Backpack Printer

Size: Tier 1

Recipe: 1 Steel

Research Cost: 2000 Bytes

Contains 5 Monorail Conveyor Shaft

Medium Monorail Conveyor Platform:

Printed in Small Printer

Slots: 1 Tier 2

Recipe: 1 Steel

Research Cost: 2000 Bytes

Large Monorail Conveyor Platform:

Printed in Medium Printer

Slots: 1 Tier 3

Recipe: 1 Steel, 1 Resin

Research Cost: 3000 Bytes

Extra Large Monorail Conveyor Platform:

Printed in Large Printer

Slots: 1 Tier 4

Recipe: 1 Titanium Alloy, 1 Steel, 2 Iron

Research Cost: 4000 Bytes

Please let me know what you think.

Posted (edited)

Very cool, is it supposed to be similar like in this video? (1:55)

I would prefer that it was a conveyor belt for items, and that it was a similar mechanic to the cable between platforms. In my opinion, the idea is not bad. But I don't know whether to accept.

Edited by Marcin7667

I am a fan of automation, but I don't know if the rest will fall to taste. You associate "satisfactory"/"factorio" (game) and its production lines. Not everyone likes such games where everything is to automatic, so I have concerns.

Unfortunately. @CopperyMarrow15 they gave it a low priority.
I know everyone wants automation and stuff but have you thought about how much they have to optimise it, the current state of the game is so bad that if you place 100+tethers  the game starts reducing the frames, I feel that conveyers are not a suitable in the present state of the game.
Also as @Marcin7667 said I don't like a lot of automation stuff, I would like to have things under my control.

But the idea is very good, hard to say no to them, it would make the astroneer's life so much easier.

+1

Screenshot 2019-07-02 at 6.58.51 AM.png

15 hours ago, CopperyMarrow15 said:

For an example of how they are used, imagine 3 Medium Platform A; 1 has a source of power, 1 has a Medium Printer, and 1 has 2 Resin. The first and second are connected by cable and the second and third are connected by conveyor; there is a Medium Monorail Conveyor Platform on the conveyor. You start the Medium Printer printing a Medium Platform B. The Medium Monorail Conveyor Platform moves toward the third platform and the 2 Resin are placed onto the conveyor platform. The conveyor platform moves along the conveyor to touch the second platform transferring the Resin to the printer and starting the printing process. A new auto-use feature would be added to modules allowing repeated processes. 

I'm quite confused...

There is some kind conveyor with transport platforms that can travel on a rail. They kind of forward material requests from one connected platform to another one...

How do you connect platforms to the rail system?

Is it only point to point or are there any intersections?

What would be the advantage of having bigger than medium sized transport platforms?

Guess who missed 4 replies to their thread.....

Yes One GIF - Yes One Yeah GIFs

On 7/1/2019 at 12:10 PM, Marcin7667 said:

Very cool, is it supposed to be similar like in this video? (1:55)

I would prefer that it was a conveyor belt for items, and that it was a similar mechanic to the cable between platforms. In my opinion, the idea is not bad. But I don't know whether to accept.

EXACTLY... That's pretty much what it is...

On 7/1/2019 at 12:36 PM, Marcin7667 said:

I am a fan of automation, but I don't know if the rest will fall to taste. You associate "satisfactory"/"factorio" (game) and its production lines. Not everyone likes such games where everything is to automatic, so I have concerns.

hate hate hate hate hate hate Satisfactory and I don't want Astroneer to become ANYTHING like it.....but, unlike in Satisfactory, these conveyors can only be triggered by you manually doing something...such as turning on a printer... I do sorta get it though.....

On 7/2/2019 at 2:13 AM, Igoooor said:

They kind of forward material requests from one connected platform to another one...

Yes.

How do you connect platforms to the rail system?

I know I mentioned that somewhere..... just stick 'em on...

Is it only point to point or are there any intersections?

I guess there could be a cross-piece...

To differently explain what you quoted, they go up to the side of a platform on a Monorail Conveyor Shaft (MCS) which is an item placed exactly like Extenders, snatch the resources, and do the same on the other side...but releases the resources onto the Printer...which starts printing. This all starts by pressing the button on the printer.

Hopefully, I explained that well............Did I?

On 7/1/2019 at 8:38 PM, TMarcher74 said:

I feel that conveyers are not a suitable in the present state of the game.

Definitely... (I don't know how to quote while editing...)