avitous

1.2.10 - Xbox - Terrain issues using drill on vehicle

Ever since the new terrain system came out with the 1.0 release earlier this year, driving a vehicle (rover or tractor, doesn't matter) with a front-mounted drill is impossible while trying to use the drill.  It's finally dawned on me this is actually a terrain issue where the vehicle gets buried and stuck in the terrain as the drill is cutting into it, as in my current 1.2.10 game my large rover train is half buried and gets embedded even deeper when I turn the drill on.

Symptom:  when drill is mounted on front of a vehicle and turned on, the vehicle cannot be moved by driving.  The only way to effectively tunnel with the drill while moving forward is to first initiate forward motion, then turn the drill on and off rapidly while continuing to propel the vehicle forward; while this gets the job done (sort of) it is difficult, and infuriating because of how much easier this works when playing the PC version using a keyboard/mouse where this issue does not appear.

In my current game I started noticing that when I turned drill on when vehicle was not moving the front rover in the train would sink into the ground.  Repeated activations of the drill seem to slowly sink the vehicle further.  When I exit the vehicle and use terrain deform tool anywhere near vehicle, whether digging or flattening terrain, vehicle would sink further even if terrain I was modifying was a ways away from the vehicle.  Just now trying to dig my rover out of the mess it is now more than 1/2 buried, and will likely soon fall completely into the terrain.

Earlier in this game I also noticed vehicles sinking partly into the ground when terrain modified anywhere near them, and this is what makes me think the issues with the drill operation on a vehicle in Xbox is actually due to these other terrain issues.  Whatever is causing it, the Xbox version of this game isn't really playable until this gets resolved.

Posted (edited)

Story:

On Xbox, I just got my chemistry lab, bolted a nice shiny new drill on the front of my tractor, drive into a cave, start the drill and the right trigger isn't moving. So, I think "maybe I need a medium rover to continuously drill", get a medium rover, setup the drill, same issue: no forward (or backward) movement on either trigger when trying to use a tractor or medium rover with attached drill heads. I then went to my Steam install to check if it's an issue with my save or something else, get a save all the way to having a drill and it works fine, I can move and drill and move the rover as expected.

Bug Report (for better format and to more easily reproduce):

Summary:
1.2.10 - XBox - Cannot accelerate or reverse while Drilling

Description: 
When a drill is mounted to a rover or tractor the two triggers do not function to move the rover forward.

Platform:
XBox One

Version / Build Number: 

Specifications:

System: Xbox One X

Control Method: Xbox One Controller

Steps to recreate:

1. Attach a drill to the front of a rover or tractor
  2. Start the drill with bumper button
  3. Pull either left or right trigger
  4. Vehicle does not move

Expected result:

When drill is on, a rover should move forward or back (with any slow because of terrain hardness or otherwise).

---

I'm also going to try to use the same gamepad via bluetooh on my PC steam release to see if it's a gamepad mapping issue vs mouse and keyboard or if it is system specific

Edited by onelastword

This also occurs on PC with a Steam Controller with pure XBox control mapping, so it isn't limited to the XBox platform. It may be related to controller support and new handbrake? Sometimes (rarely), I can get acceleration to work a little bit by having the drill off and going full speed, then turning the drill on before crashing in to whatever I want to drill, though this fails much more often than it actually works.

When pulling the trigger on the controller very slowly, there are points where the vehicle jumps back down from its "locked" position and it seems like it wants to move, or the steering will seem like it will work for just a moment, then it will stop again.

HTH

Just verified that this can happen without a controller connected. It seemed to work at first, but then after looking "up" to raise the drill, it triggered the issue where it stutters or will not want to move at all. It does seem to happen much less without a controller, however. Perhaps a difference in acceleration curve (gradual vs instant)?

Also, this issue tends to go away the closer to the center of a planet you are (tested with controller on starting planet), but gets worse as soon as you get close to the surface.

Although OP experienced issue on XBox, I experience what seems to be the same issue on PC (Steam) 1.2.9.0. I've made a copy of the save file and is available on request. I'm not sure what identifiable information is included in it, so I did not attach it directly to the post.

After playing longer, it also appears to matter where on the planet you try to dig. It just so happens that where my base is on the starting planet is where this issue takes place. I now have a second save file from the same world where i can move more easily while digging while moving back toward the base will cause the same bug to pop up.

Again, these save games are available upon request. A simple acknowledgement of the issue from the System Era team, for example as known or can't reproduce, would be appreciated...

That's very interesting, that the issue is reproducible on PC using Xbox controller.  I've never used the Xbox controller when playing on my PC, only console.

This bug predates the Summer Update, though; I've noticed this issue as long as I've played on Xbox, and that predates even the 1.0 release.

On 7/7/2019 at 12:15 PM, avitous said:

That's very interesting, that the issue is reproducible on PC using Xbox controller.  I've never used the Xbox controller when playing on my PC, only console.

This bug predates the Summer Update, though; I've noticed this issue as long as I've played on Xbox, and that predates even the 1.0 release.

I've not really tested this issue with prior versions as it didn't really occur to me to put drills on the vehicles until I saw it on a youtube video. 

I'm not too surprised that the issue would be reproducible on Windows 10 (what I'm running here), though it is the Steam version I'm playing. XBox is essentially a pre-built Windows computer with a controller friendly UI and some exclusive titles. As far as controller, this is a Steam controller configured to act as an XBox controller. I don't have an XBox or XBox controller to see if it behaves exactly the same way, it just appears the same as described. However, I observed the same issue with keyboard bindings, just to a lesser degree.

Please let me know if my observations differ from yours, @avitous. If they do, then I'll submit a new bug report specific to Windows.

A new observation: This issue almost never occurs when using the largest rover, happens most of the time when using the small rover, and nearly all the time when using the tractor (when in the correct location). Vehicle height might be a factor, or maybe that is a red herring. But it might also explain why it doesn't show up in normal testing if that normal testing is with just the large rover.

Prior observations: Location on Sylvia matter, where my base is it happens all the time, while there are areas where it happens much less frequently. It happens less underground closer to the core. Happens slightly less when starting the drill while the vehicle is already moving fast. Happens slightly less when using keyboard bindings.

I still have saves where this can be reproduced upon request..

HTH

Hi all. I have not long started this game on the Xbox and have been having the same issue in the medium rover (not tried the others yet). Not sure if this is relevant but I was trying to solve, when the "Where We're Going, We Don't Need Roads" achievement popped. Could be that with the drill active it thinks we're not in contact with the terrain. The extra "mass" of the large rover might be negating any Hovercraft effect from the drill rotation.