Killtech

Long term gameplay fun and balance

Posted (edited)

The longer i play Astroneer the more i noticed that there there are many details which seriously impact the long term fun of this game. Especially in the late game gameplay becomes overly simplified up to the point of even somewhat boring and grindy. one such mark is when reasearch becomes irrelevant (i.e. you collected more then enough), another is when drill mods for the terrain tools are available and you don't have to care about terrain hardness at all and finally when RTGs are unlocked rendering all power management obsolete. Then there is also the insight that cranes - while a very cool concept - are practically meaningless as they are far inferior to the terrain tool and have no other uses as of yet. same goes for the winch (good thing i checked spelling... wrote it with an 'e' initially). 

Is this just me or do you Astroneers feel the same? How do you play in the late game when all stuff is reasearched? Did anyone of you ever used a crane or even something more common like the medium generator?

I have made some further thoughts/possibilities on how to remedy the situation here, in case anyone is interested:

Edited by Killtech

You have such great ideas and all you have said until now is very true, about the RTGs ,the Crane, the Medium generators, the Research and other stuff.
I just wish the devs would see this and fix them.

I have to admit it... the Crane is junk... You literally need to change the view in order to dig... You can't just move it around. This reminds me of something else we used to have...that they thankfully fixed...

I think the RTG is fun! Power is a subject of its own...a big one... Most people are much better at Nanocarbon Alloy than I am...so they get lots of RTGs but I think that the cost is quite fair for them.

For the Medium Generator, I must say I never use it.....unless I find it...

I only use the crane to collect soil which I have done once during my 500 hourish save game
I too am an RTG fan. I have 20? 
I too never use the generators. I collect them but I don't use them for power. That would be foolish. 

End game is a grind but I found it more unimaginative than anything else. The entire purple thing was all types of hype for just a one time use. The devs did not know that before release? I've played literally 400 hours, on the same save, after unlocking all the purple stuff and I have not gone to or had a desire to go to any of them ever again. I'm talking the triangle, the alien space thing or any cores. There is zero need. They do nothing! As a matter of fact I have passed by many of those stupid triangles and not entered one. You can't carry anything with you except your backpack. You can't send things through it. I feel bad for the people that had to work on it. At some point at least one of them must have figured out that once we players unlock them, we will never ever use them again. There is zero reason to use them, ever. And the whole thing about the nodes things and having to bring one up to the floating stupid thing to unlock what again? For the purpose of what exactly? For floating rings? Huh? What? Man I wish that there was one, just one person in those SES staff meetings that actually plays the game. I mean, seriously plays the game. Doesn't anyone ask in any of those meetings.... what's the end game? Why? For what purpose? "This looks like another one and done item, Joe." "It's got no legs man!" 

All that time and effort wasted on that, purple thing, which could have been used for more resources and craftability. When will we ever see more resources? Items to craft with them? But I digress, we have the ability to play soccer, without true flat, with a beach ball, in a space exploration game, set 500 years into the future, with vehicles that were not designed to play soccer, with Astroneers that can't kick........................... oh dear somebody.....PUT A HALT TO THE MADNESS!!!!!!!!! 

i dont really get bored with long term this game, my end game isnt what  SeS has it for thier game , we choose our own goal since the game is just a sandbox. me and my brothers goal is to have a base on every bubble you see in orbit, and have roads connected to all them. every base has to have a new set up, in a cool area, inside a mountain, on top of a mountain. we almost play it in an odd version of sim city, we make underground ducts for power cables, tethers so it looks all clean.

20 hours ago, diseasedmeat said:

i dont really get bored with long term this game, my end game isnt what  SeS has it for thier game , we choose our own goal since the game is just a sandbox. me and my brothers goal is to have a base on every bubble you see in orbit, and have roads connected to all them. every base has to have a new set up, in a cool area, inside a mountain, on top of a mountain. we almost play it in an odd version of sim city, we make underground ducts for power cables, tethers so it looks all clean.

Well this I like! 
I used to like simcity until EA destroyed it. Now I'm all about the CitySkylines!

Posted (edited)
On 7/2/2019 at 7:07 AM, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

I only use the crane to collect soil which I have done once during my 500 hourish save game
I too am an RTG fan. I have 20? 
I too never use the generators. I collect them but I don't use them for power. That would be foolish. 

End game is a grind but I found it more unimaginative than anything else. The entire purple thing was all types of hype for just a one time use. The devs did not know that before release? I've played literally 400 hours, on the same save, after unlocking all the purple stuff and I have not gone to or had a desire to go to any of them ever again. I'm talking the triangle, the alien space thing or any cores. There is zero need. They do nothing! As a matter of fact I have passed by many of those stupid triangles and not entered one. You can't carry anything with you except your backpack. You can't send things through it. I feel bad for the people that had to work on it. At some point at least one of them must have figured out that once we players unlock them, we will never ever use them again. There is zero reason to use them, ever. And the whole thing about the nodes things and having to bring one up to the floating stupid thing to unlock what again? For the purpose of what exactly? For floating rings? Huh? What? Man I wish that there was one, just one person in those SES staff meetings that actually plays the game. I mean, seriously plays the game. Doesn't anyone ask in any of those meetings.... what's the end game? Why? For what purpose? "This looks like another one and done item, Joe." "It's got no legs man!" 

All that time and effort wasted on that, purple thing, which could have been used for more resources and craftability. When will we ever see more resources? Items to craft with them? But I digress, we have the ability to play soccer, without true flat, with a beach ball, in a space exploration game, set 500 years into the future, with vehicles that were not designed to play soccer, with Astroneers that can't kick........................... oh dear somebody.....PUT A HALT TO THE MADNESS!!!!!!!!! 

+1

There were so many things that the devs could have accomplished with the purple teleporters, like adding alien lore, or researchable alien artifacts which grant new technologies or the ability to teleport other items besides oneself, or any other space exploration related stuff, not beach-ball soccer. Multiplayer sucks, for lack of a better word, yet the devs introduced items meant for multiplayer. Who thought this would be a good idea? Fix multiplayer first where fps don't drop to 4 or less, then add multiplayer mechanics. There are a ton of good space-related ideas in the suggestions sub-forum, yet they picked a beach ball.

I don't mean to be harsh, but geez, they need someone over there with better ideas, who's not willing to settle for mediocrity, who motivates their team to constantly push the envelope, who's not an enabler or a "yes" person, who's not afraid to say "this is crap"...

Edited by vvhorus

On 7/9/2019 at 11:14 AM, vvhorus said:

+1

There were so many things that the devs could have accomplished with the purple teleporters, like adding alien lore, or researchable alien artifacts which grant new technologies or the ability to teleport other items besides oneself, or any other space exploration related stuff, not beach-ball soccer. Multiplayer sucks, for lack of a better word, yet the devs introduced items meant for multiplayer. Who thought this would be a good idea? Fix multiplayer first where fps don't drop to 4 or less, then add multiplayer mechanics. There are a ton of good space-related ideas in the suggestions sub-forum, yet they picked a beach ball.

I don't mean to be harsh, but geez, they need someone over there with better ideas, who's not willing to settle for mediocrity, who motivates their team to constantly push the envelope, who's not an enabler or a "yes" person, who's not afraid to say "this is crap"...

+1

During the hype days I was predicting/hoping the triangle was going to be a place we could go to, to receive orders from EXO DYNAMICS
1,500 diamonds by X date/time
Computer from crashed spaceship
Fix an antenna (coordinates given) have to craft a couple of tools to do the job
2,500 astronium 
Beachball

so after the announcement of the roadmap for this year i wonder if there is any room in one of the upcoming updates to address these issues here. the game would really benefit from a "balance update" to make full use from the variety that is already in the game right now - if it was just balanced to be... actually useful. 

I never use the crane. Never printing it even. For me it kills the idea about 500 years into the future :D where is anti-grav? we have teleportation now hey, what about replicating this tecnology for our use?

medium generator is good, I mean when power system is not stable yet it makes all difference. But again, feels medieval.

I like RTGs too :) but not having 20 of them because they are not your ultimate power source as everyone seem to think. I tried to unlock Atrox gateway with only RTG and it seems that when RTG gives away constant power it is not powerful enough 😃 

About gateway I made a post once, but it didn't seem to trigger any interest... 

And for the endgame...

On 7/2/2019 at 11:14 PM, diseasedmeat said:

i dont really get bored with long term this game, my end game isnt what  SeS has it for thier game , we choose our own goal since the game is just a sandbox.

This +1.  Alone or with friends, we always setting our own goals for the game. It is not like we unlock all the planets and then - game finished! We building, exploring, making roads, cities, gardens. You know, sandbox :)