Killtech

Please consider to some balancing: Power

I have played Astroneer quite a bit for now and while it is great fun to play i noticed that there are several factors that make long term playing feel rather grindy and repetative. I could go the easy way and say it's just the lack of content to spend that much time on the game but i realized that there is actually enough stuff in the game already but it simply is balaced badly - as a consequence a lot of items become obsolete.

Power:

Here the RTG is a big problem. in late game it makes power management obsolete and robs the game of an fun game mechanic: solar, wind, generators and batteries suddenly become all obsolete - effectively these are 4 small, 4 medium and 1 large building that have no use. sure the RTG is supposed to be an expensive late game achievement but in my gameplay Atrox was the 3rd planet i landed on and the first one i unlocked (it made the most sense due to resources). but now unlocking everything else feels trivial and repetitive. yet it doesn't have to be this way: as it is the medium RTG beats all other medium power sources - that's bad. if it was made to be a large building however (like the large solar) with the same power output it would still be great for bases as an infinite power source but it would be difficult to transport - a big trait of all medium buildings. there should still be a (cheaper?) medium version however with significantly less output (25% of the current - exactly enough to power a large rover) that would be inferior to alternatives in raw output but an unconditional and indefinite power source.

Another issue is the (medium) Generator: i never build a single one of those. i think their niche should by to provide the highest energy output of all the alternatives (including the battery) as its also the most work intensive power producer for the player. currently there is indeed only limited use for such a building profile however apart from unlocking gateways - but that would still suffice to give it a right to exist.

25 minutes ago, Killtech said:

I have played Astroneer quite a bit for now and while it is great fun to play i noticed that there are several factors that make long term playing feel rather grindy and repetative. I could go the easy way and say it's just the lack of content to spend that much time on the game but i realized that there is actually enough stuff in the game already but it simply is balaced badly - as a consequence a lot of items become obsolete.

Power:

Here the RTG is a big problem. in late game it makes power management obsolete and robs the game of an fun game mechanic: solar, wind, generators and batteries suddenly become all obsolete - effectively these are 4 small, 4 medium and 1 large building that have no use. sure the RTG is supposed to be an expensive late game achievement but in my gameplay Atrox was the 3rd planet i landed on and the first one i unlocked (it made the most sense due to resources). but now unlocking everything else feels trivial and repetitive. yet it doesn't have to be this way: as it is the medium RTG beats all other medium power sources - that's bad. if it was made to be a large building however (like the large solar) with the same power output it would still be great for bases as an infinite power source but it would be difficult to transport - a big trait of all medium buildings. there should still be a (cheaper?) medium version however with significantly less output (25% of the current - exactly enough to power a large rover) that would be inferior to alternatives in raw output but an unconditional and indefinite power source.

Another issue is the (medium) Generator: i never build a single one of those. i think their niche should by to provide the highest energy output of all the alternatives (including the battery) as its also the most work intensive power producer for the player. currently there is indeed only limited use for such a building profile however apart from unlocking gateways - but that would still suffice to give it a right to exist.

@Killtech I totally agree to your suggestion, you know we should have some factor which would limit us from building more RTGs its a total game hacker changer. We should have some problems caused by the RTGs or a special resource which is extremely rare like Astronium should be used and made more rare than it is presently available, this also gives a proper use for Astronium. 
OR
The problems caused by RTGs could be that it gives radioactive waste which can make the plants in some radius go wild aggressive and you can enter that region with a special suit or something else you slowly die.

Edited by TMarcher74

On 6/24/2019 at 10:15 AM, TMarcher74 said:

@Killtech I totally agree to your suggestion, you know we should have some factor which would limit us from building more RTGs its a total game hacker changer. We should have some problems caused by the RTGs or a special resource which is extremely rare like Astronium should be used and made more rare than it is presently available, this also gives a proper use for Astronium. 
OR
The problems caused by RTGs could be that it gives radioactive waste which can make the plants in some radius go wild aggressive and you can enter that region with a special suit or something else you slowly die.

+1. Astronium would be a great alternative to lithium.

I simultaneously agree with Astrobeam (if you think it's OP then by all means don't use it) and Killtech (the single size RTG is too portable for its power output AND infinite nature). Like everything else, it should have tiers, cost more as it gets more robust, and pose transportation issues on par with other generator items.

IRL, the RTG is a very low-yield-long-life nuclear power source. So making it put out more power than burning hydrocarbons, solar cells, or wind-driven turbines is disingenuous at best. It is, however, extremely safe to use as a result of being so low yield; the chance of meltdown is nearly zero and the radiation output is easily shielded against.

So it would make more sense to have Small, Medium, and Large RTGs that put out .25, .5, and 1 u/s (respectively) forever - essentially a battery that never runs down. The small version should be usable by the Astroneer themself, making it and a Portable Oxygenator literal top-tier equipment that puts you on par with the gods for the ability to flat ignore air needs and also mine almost indefinitely with Augments away from tethers or vehicles with generators/batteries of their own.

Yes, the other power options are still more effective in terms of raw output, price:performance, and even production:volume, but that Infinite part... they are literally beholden to nothing once created.

3 hours ago, Schattenjaeger said:

I simultaneously agree with Astrobeam (if you think it's OP then by all means don't use it) and Killtech (the single size RTG is too portable for its power output AND infinite nature). Like everything else, it should have tiers, cost more as it gets more robust, and pose transportation issues on par with other generator items.

IRL, the RTG is a very low-yield-long-life nuclear power source. So making it put out more power than burning hydrocarbons, solar cells, or wind-driven turbines is disingenuous at best. It is, however, extremely safe to use as a result of being so low yield; the chance of meltdown is nearly zero and the radiation output is easily shielded against.

So it would make more sense to have Small, Medium, and Large RTGs that put out .25, .5, and 1 u/s (respectively) forever - essentially a battery that never runs down. The small version should be usable by the Astroneer themself, making it and a Portable Oxygenator literal top-tier equipment that puts you on par with the gods for the ability to flat ignore air needs and also mine almost indefinitely with Augments away from tethers or vehicles with generators/batteries of their own.

Yes, the other power options are still more effective in terms of raw output, price:performance, and even production:volume, but that Infinite part... they are literally beholden to nothing once created.

Way to put it, +1

On 10/1/2019 at 8:28 PM, Astrobeam said:

You have a choice not to use RTG, did you know?

Well, yeah i am more or less doing that... in the sense that i currently don't play Astroneer any more. Have played through the main quest, explored all planets... and the game offers too little variety to keep on playing regardless. Of course that's just a personal impression but still worth a hint to the devs since i won't be the only one. it's just something to think about and consider.

In any case these little things like a more interesting power economy at the end game would keep me engaged for some time longer. And for me the miss-balanced things here and there all summed up that after researching everything the game felt mostly too trivial with the remaining task of unlocking the remaining planets feeling repetitive, grindy and time consuming rather then challenging or engaging. Since i saw a few such comments coming from other players i thought it might help to think what contributed to that feeling at least from my perspective. 

6 hours ago, Schattenjaeger said:

[...]

+1

12 hours ago, Killtech said:

In any case these little things like a more interesting power economy at the end game would keep me engaged for some time longer. And for me the miss-balanced things here and there all summed up that after researching everything the game felt mostly too trivial with the remaining task of unlocking the remaining planets feeling repetitive, grindy and time consuming rather then challenging or engaging. Since i saw a few such comments coming from other players i thought it might help to think what contributed to that feeling at least from my perspective. 

I definitely see your point there.

The challenging way to deal with the game's "main quest" (which is entirely easy to skip over with absolutely no prompts to engage it) is to tackle it as you go.

The efficient way to deal with the main quest is to wait until you can drive a large rover with an RTG and a tier 3 drill into the heart of every world and just curb stomp it.

On a side note, I realized that you can have the "infinite power" aspect of the RTGs without the portability by just forcing yourself to use Shelters and Field Shelters instead, since they deliver low-yield power for eternity. Yeah, the barrier to entry is lower, but it's a small sacrifice.

Note that this does not nullify my suggestion regarding tiered, weaker RTGs that can move.