Arconaute

1.2.8.0/1.2.9.0 freezing/crashing

Hello,

Looks like I have a crashing and freezing issue starting with 1.2.8.0 and 1.2.9.0.  With 1.2.8.0  Astroneer would randomly freeze, cursor would work but the app would show on task mgr as "not Responding".   Now in 1.2.9.0 it sometimes just crashes on startup, 15 min into the game (random.   Really not sure what the issue is, I am not having issues with any other programs.   I also ran the steam validate files to rule out corruption.   

Note:   After realizing previous system memory was bad, I ran the commands as admin:

DISM /ONline /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

SFC /SCANNOW

both came back with no issues found.   Also the bad memory issue happened before Astroneer started crashing.   

(Using a stick of 8gb ddr 4 2400 {passed windows memory diagnostic} to get by until rma comes back)

Config:

Windows 10 Version   10.0.17763 Build 17763

Steam

Hw:    CPU: I7 8700, HDD Samsung 970 Evo m.2,  RAM 8gb (waiting for RMA on defective 16gb kit) GPU: EVGA 1060 SSC 6GB

Nvidia Driver: 430.86

9660dc45-bae8-4fd6-b8b8-9bac23c78460_1.2.9.0.dmp

9660dc45-bae8-4fd6-b8b8-9bac23c78460_1.2.9.0.dmp

54eac5d9-f166-4458-9ca7-fd1ea705f40b.dmp

54eac5d9-f166-4458-9ca7-fd1ea705f40b.dmp.container

Posted (edited)

So put some gskill ddr4 3200 16gb kit memory in the system (passes windows memory diag), just to rule out memory issue and it still crashed.  Crashes are more frequent in 1.2.9.0 than 1.2.8.0.

Edited by Arconaute

ok I shut all unnecessary apps down and the game ran stable for an hour.  As soon as I launched Discord the game crashed!   So I tried relaunching Astroneer.   Game was running until I started discord and then the game crashed again.  So maybe someone else can try to recreate this issue?leob2.0@gmail.com   discord version is 0.0.305 

Posted (edited)

Having this exact same issue here. The game launches, loads my save fine, but 15mins to hours later it will freeze up and fail to respond. Can happen anywhere: in base, down in the caves, on a brand new landing spot on Desolo. Usually not doing anything particularly interesting.

Edited by souledgar

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, souledgar said:

Having this exact same issue here. The game launches, loads my save fine, but 15mins to hours later it will freeze up and fail to respond. Can happen anywhere: in base, down in the caves, on a brand new landing spot on Desolo. Usually not doing anything particularly interesting.

Try closing discord.  I was able to get it to crash twice as soon as I launched discord. Game was stable for over an hour w/o discord running

Edited by Arconaute

Same annoying random crash after 20 or so mins. Feels like a memory leak, stay on the surface 1 hour before crash. Underground/collecting starts tiny chopping 20 mins crash to desktop no indication.

3 hours ago, keithcheg said:

Same annoying random crash after 20 or so mins. Feels like a memory leak, stay on the surface 1 hour before crash. Underground/collecting starts tiny chopping 20 mins crash to desktop no indication.

Hmmm I didnt get that, It just locked up (1.2.8.0) or Crashed immediately(1.2.9.0)   and it only happens when discord is running or starts.  Starting discord crashes it immediately.   I really wish someone from system era would comment on this as discord is a pretty popular program.  So there must be quite a few others with this issue.

Thx for the response Gina but that is a solution to a different issue then mine.   My issue ended up being that the voice application Discord causes Astroneer to crash.  I have tested it several times and the only time Astroneer crashes is when discord is started or running.  If I close Discord at the system tray and then launch Astroneer it runs for hours with no crashes.   This started with the summer update.  I can try the no sound option though and see if it makes it so I can run both Astroneer and Discord at the same time w/o crashing Astroneer.

24 minutes ago, Arconaute said:

I can try the no sound option though and see if it makes it so I can run both Astroneer and Discord at the same time w/o crashing Astroneer.

Strange. Let me know how -nosound goes.

5 hours ago, souledgar said:

Even if -nosound works, removing all audio from a game is not an acceptable solution.

It's  a temporary work around, and by no means a solution.  Hopefully the issue will be patched soon.  There's an update expected next week, we'll see what fixes come.