Gina

Importing and Converting files between Microsoft & Microsoft OR Microsoft & Steam

This is two part in-depth write up on how to move files between the Windows Store version of Astroneer and the Steam version.  You can also use this and omit the parts about Steam if you want to share a file from one Windows player to another.  There's a link to a video guide at the bottom of this post.

You can run a Powershell command to quickly locate your Windows 10 save files.  Press Win + R, type Powershell, enter, copy/paste this, and press enter:

explorer ((Get-ChildItem $env:LOCALAPPDATA\Packages\SystemEraSoftworks*\SystemAppData\wgs\ -Recurse -Filter container.*).FullName | Where-Object { Format-Hex $_ | Select-String '\$\.(\d\.){4}' } | Split-Path)

To find your Steam file location, press Win + R, copy/paste this, and press enter:

C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Local\Astro\Saved\SaveGames

PART 1: Converting or Importing Game Files into Microsoft 

1. Open both save file locations shown above in separate windows of your File Explorer 
    • If you already have saves in the Microsoft version, take a screen shot or write down the first few characters of each file that's there so they don't mixed up in future steps.
  2. Create a "Sacrificial Save"
    • Start a BRAND NEW save in the Microsoft version of your game.  Launch off, land, exit your pod, and enter the habitat.  Once you enter the habitat, a new file is created in the Microsoft Saves Location, make note of which one it is.
    • Quit the game/Exit to desktop
  3. Place a copy of the save you wish to import into the Microsoft Saves Location
  4. Right click the "Sacrificial Save" and select Rename.  Instead of renaming, copy the save name.  Delete the Sacrifice. (RIP)
  5. Rename the imported save after the Sacrifice.
    • IMPORTANT:  If the file you are converting is from Steam, also delete the ".savegame" extension at the end of the file name.  You will be asked to confirm, so confirm the action.
    • This "Sacrifice" process is necessary regardless of whether you're importing a Steam file or a Microsoft file.  It's also safer, just take my word.
  6. You're done!!  Launch the game, you should have a freshly imported/converted save file ready to play.

PART 2: Converting or Importing Game Files into Steam

1. Open both save file locations shown above in separate windows of your File Explorer 
    • If you have multiple saves in Microsoft and you only want to convert a specific one, you'll need to first identify the save. 
      • If you can, identify the save you want by the time stamp on the file
      • If you can't tell by the time stamps open the save you wish to convert in the Win10 version of the game and watch the Windows Saves file location to see which file changes.  This is the one you want.  
  2. Place a copy of the save you wish to import into the Steam Saves Location
  3. Right Click the imported save and rename using the same convention as the other Steam saves
    • Alternatively, you can copy/paste this as your file name and use anything you want in front of the dollar sign: 
    IMPORTED_GAME$2019.02.06-12.00.00.savegame
  4. You're done!!  Launch the game, you should have a freshly imported/converted save file with the name you chose ready to play.

Video Guide:  

Additionally you can transfer save games from Xbox to the Windows 10 version with Xbox's play anywhere as saves are linked to the account and not the system. Im pretty sure you do have to load the save at least once on PC for it to save. Also if you have multiple accounts then there will be a folder for each one under the wgs folder. It should be the same for transfering files from Xbox to PC

Hi! I tried transferring the files to steam from the windows 10 store. When I do this, after a bit, it crashes my game. I have a very good computer and I have restarted my computer several times. I played on the file after the update so it should not have that as an issue. If you could help me I would be very glad.

I am trying to copy the file from my desktop to my laptop, but when I run the power shell statement, my desktop only opens the main windows explorer location (The "Quick Access"). If I run the same on my laptop, it takes me to the correct location as described in the video. 

What am I doing wrong or is my desktop possessive of the original file? :) 

Edited by TxAries

5 hours ago, TxAries said:

I am trying to copy the file from my desktop to my laptop, but when I run the power shell statement, my desktop only opens the main windows explorer location (The "Quick Access"). If I run the same on my laptop, it takes me to the correct location as described in the video. 

What am I doing wrong or is my desktop possessive of the original file? :) 

Have you ready launched the game and had it sync on both machines? Maybe the folder's not there yet. If you have, you can try looking in the path below, the 'random' parts are different on every machine. Shouldn't need to manually move files between Windows Store editions of the game, they're in the cloud linked to your account. 

AppData\Local\Packages\SystemEraSoftworks[Random#]\SystemAppData\wgs\[random folder]\[random folder]

Yes I have launched and played on both machines. And yes I have actually copied the \wgs folder and all of its contents to the laptop, but the game never would see the saved game. As for the Window version, originally purchased and played on Xbox; I know that the cloud worked between the Xbox and my desktop in the past. I too thought that it would just download the latest saved files in the cloud.

Okay, I have figured it out. I am stupid!!  Realized while I had my xbox on, I started up the laptop and went to do a save file on it then noticed my Xbox said that my daughter had just started playing astroneer. She is logged into the Laptop, but my Microsoft account is logged into the store. 

8 hours ago, TxAries said:

I have actually copied the \wgs folder and all of its contents to the laptop, but the game never would see the saved game. 

Just to clarify for any other players trying to move MS files... When moving files to the store version you need to replace existing files created on the machine receiving the files. Moving the whole folder wouldn't work. 

Glad you figured out you need to be signed into the right account 😄