SES_joe

The Summer Update - June 20th, 2019

Recommended Posts

Why would you hide something as basic as a light (flood light) behind resources, that need space travel (= 3800 bytes) and additionally 2000 bytes?
The resource/byte balancing could really use some re-visit.
Some of those only seem to be extra expensive to artificially make the game more grindy to reach the end game.
Being forced to space travel (as opposed to the alpha version) is actually really good. But some items are way off the curve for what they benefit the player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another issue (at least for me): my most successful save game won't load and when I try to load it, the whole game crashes. I had only TWO planets left to awaken and now I HAVE TO START ALL OVER! It took me so long to dig to the core of each planet and it was all for nothing now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So having to start a new game I'm not near as far as I was, but so far, very so far the game has seen a drastic improvement, I'm running a one S and its running smoothly, mixer.com/DrowsyCannon51 if you wanna see how smoothly, now it use to be the more it was played and the more that was built, the more it would slow. That may still be the case but I'm yet to see it. But I'm only at tractor stage so theres along way to go yet. The rovers seem better, even saving doesn't halt the game anymore  or not near as badly. I hope as I play it keeps this performance, sad I couldnt load my old save, but its playable up until this point anyways. Anyone on an xbox still having FPS issues do a fresh install and start a new game.. I will update closer to end game to see if the performance has kept up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Magical Creation said:

Another issue (at least for me): my most successful save game won't load and when I try to load it, the whole game crashes. I had only TWO planets left to awaken and now I HAVE TO START ALL OVER! It took me so long to dig to the core of each planet and it was all for nothing now!

I have heard that they are investigating the issue. I am having the same issue and I only have one save which I beat the game as of a few days ago on that save but I don’t think that save will have to be deleted in sort of way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

After a long awaited stable patch (1.1.3) this one crashes again.

Don't need the new items except the new tier 2 storage.

The only really good feature is the new vehicle driving physics.

Still waiting for True Flat and/or other base building features. Games gets more and more boring.
Edit: Oh, and please, please, insert "multiple and loadable savegames of running session" or at least "Quit w/o Saving".

Edited by Mytos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/20/2019 at 4:18 AM, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

Why? Just why? There was obviously time to do "something" and this, this is what we get? Ok, ok I get it.....there are 10 and 12 year olds that play this game. And yes, from time to time those same children should have something shiny dangled in front of their faces. I get it, they are all about the shiny things that add to the surface but not the core game. Like for example, vehicle horns. Or more and more suits/visors etc. You know, just played out eye candy. 

But why not give us something that we've been asking for, for months if not years..... a vehicle garage (as just one simple example).....just to name one of oh so many things that have been begged for, for years now. Why were so many resources wasted on something so frivioulus? What part of exploration does this nonsense fall under? Again, I only call it nonsense in that the community has been begging for a very long time now for very simple improvements that could have easily been accomplished in the time it took to build this moronic recreational sphere and idiotic recreational canopy. 

Not one person thought to just take a look at the things the community has been asking for? This was a PERFECT example of a time when SES could have for once, looked at the suggestions and ideas thread and just picked one? Something the community wants? Or they did and thought all of those things are BS, let's give the community want they don't want a childish soccer game? Really? 

I'm sure that there are a dozen things that could have been made rather than this waste of time and effort, that would have checked off an item the community has been asking for. Seriously in the amount of time it took to construct this foolishness, a vehicle garage could not have been constructed? You give us flood lights, new platforms and there was just no way to tie all of that into a vehicle garage? Your like 2/3rds of the way there yet........we get a beach ball? 

This is going to be a blast to play in SP! 
Why for the love of Astroneer just why????????????????????????

If you watched the vlog, I clearly mention in there that we pushed the next big update (Wanderer). We made the Summer Update in a short amount of time to fill the gap instead of going another month without any content. 

Also, just because you don't care about a sphere to mess around with, doesn't mean that we didn't add anything that people have been clamoring for.

There have been hundreds of requests for more storage, more lighting, and expansion of the base building system. So although you view this as a "waste of time and effort" understand that not every update we push is going to fit perfectly within YOUR play style. And also understand that updates like this are free and extra content in between larger features. A vehicle bay sounds awesome, and actually, I have been using the new canopy as a vehicle staging area since it got added. 

TL;DR: We added some new content that was "easy" to make while we worked on bigger features. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UPDATE: THERE IS A NEW BUILD ON EFT RIGHT NOW WITH A FIX FOR SAVES NOT LOADING.

Copy your saves over and test them there please!

TO OPT INTO EFT BRANCH (STEAM ONLY) - USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Open Steam, right click on Astroneer in your library, and then click Properties. Navigate to the betas tab and in the dropdown, you should see the branch exo_flight_test. Click on it and press enter, and then Steam will be begin downloading the EFT version of the game. I would recommend backing up saves at this time. You can find saves here:


C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Local\Astro\Saved\SaveGames


Use the same process to revert back to the previous version of Astroneer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/11/2019 at 7:25 PM, SES_joe said:

Patch_Notes_Poster15.png

Patch 1.0.15 will be deployed to Steam, but is being held on Xbox/Windows 10 while Xbox sorts out an issue with deploying builds. They are actively working on a fix and we will deploy this build as soon as they finish. (UPDATE: This issue has been resolved and the build has been deployed on Xbox / windows 10)

Updates

General Updates

This patch includes a large update to networking code to improve performance in multiplayer sessions. Hosts should no longer see huge performance drops when clients join their games!

  • [AS-6597] - Code redemption is now available in Astroneer. Redeem your Recruit Bundle codes now!
  • [AS-6301] - Gateway Engines no longer require oxygen management from Astroneers. 
  • [AS-6181] - Emote selections are now persistent account-wide - like all other customization options - rather than just per individual save. 
  • [AS-6302] - The Gateway teleportation exit point has been changed so that the player no longer takes fall damage when exiting it. 
  • [AS-6404] - The Scrap value of Graphite has been fixed from a high 0.75 to the intended 0.25. This also addressed a minor exploit which allowed players to trade 3 Graphite nuggets for 4 Graphite nuggets via the Scrap mechanic. 
  • A number of balance and distribution changes to Hazards and Research Samples are included in this patch. 

Research Samples and Items:

  • [AS-6017] - Increased Research Sample spawn probability on Sylvan forest biome by 25%. 
  • [AS-6022] - Increased the density of Research Items and Samples in Sylvan subterranean biomes. 
  • [AS-6306] - Respawn times for Research Samples have increased 25%. Also increased the value of Research Items by at least 25%, and reduced their research time by a similar margin.

Hazards:

  • [AS-6020] - Where there previously was a single growth, now a trio of Volatile Cataplants have sprouted on Glacio’s ice sheets. 
  • [AS-6021] - Delayed Bouncevine explosion from .5 to 1.5 seconds after being uprooted.
  • [AS-6024] - Adjusted both the Noxious and the Elegant Spewflower to have a stronger toxin (especially the latter, which only occurs underground). Astroneers visiting Atrox are cautioned to avoid their fume clouds, which are at least 25% more deadly than previously recorded.

Bugfixes

  • We have addressed an issue with a performance optimization which was causing intermittent crashes in version 1.0.14.0. 
  • [AS-3085] - Fixed a long standing bug which would cause the Shelter tooltip to not reappear if Players exited the Shelter while mousing over it. 
  • [AS-4338] - Fixed the messaging on the Research Chamber for non-researchable items until the save is reloaded.
  • [AS-4650] - Fixed a bug in the customization system where suit palettes with non-default materials incorrectly change backpack slot colors.
  • [AS-6179] - Fixed a bug where players were unable to drive Large Rover trains of more than two Rovers.
  • [AS-6188] - Fixed the glitch (and by that we mean hilarious exploit) which occurred when entering a shuttle and picking it up simultaneously allowed the client player to fly around. 
  • [AS-6211] - Client Players can no longer carry platforms when they enter the shuttle and carry the those platforms to other planets.
  • [AS-6225] - Fixed a bug causing small printer functionality to become suppressed when instructed to print the thruster until the correct cable is connected.
  • [AS-6337] - Astronium nugget now uses the correct texture.
  • [AS-6352] - Text boxes no longer overlap when collecting more than one kind of resource in quick succession: instead they now conveniently stack alongside the backpack. 
  • [AS-6360] - Fixed a bug causing batteries to send out power on directional power connections even when they have no excess power to send out.
  • [AS-6514] -  Fixed an incorrect research Byte value and research time on a some hazards. 

Also if you haven't heard already, Astroneer is nominated for FIVE Webby awards! We could use your vote to bring the awards home, so head over here (VOTE HERE) for more details about what categories and how to vote!

Webby1920.jpg

Thanks for reading and I look forward to kickstarting the youtube channel back up soon with a new post 1.0 vlog!

-jt

 

You still can not use the drills on the rovers you the gas doesnt work and you just sink in the ground, this is beyond rediculous, how can a game so broken be up for so many awards?

15611524675768846812336305744234.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, mumbles mumbles said:

You still can not use the drills on the rovers you the gas doesnt work and you just sink in the ground, this is beyond rediculous, how can a game so broken be up for so many awards?

15611524675768846812336305744234.jpg

Lol atleast for this I got the achievement where we,re going we dont need roads lmfao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, SES_joe said:

UPDATE: THERE IS A NEW BUILD ON EFT RIGHT NOW WITH A FIX FOR SAVES NOT LOADING.

Copy your saves over and test them there please!

TO OPT INTO EFT BRANCH (STEAM ONLY) - USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Open Steam, right click on Astroneer in your library, and then click Properties. Navigate to the betas tab and in the dropdown, you should see the branch exo_flight_test. Click on it and press enter, and then Steam will be begin downloading the EFT version of the game. I would recommend backing up saves at this time. You can find saves here:


C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Local\Astro\Saved\SaveGames


Use the same process to revert back to the previous version of Astroneer.

Ok, no, thanks. I wont test a patch to solve the problem of load game if there is a risk of lose the data. C'mon people, it may be ok if you give early access to new things but this is not one of that things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Noncate said:

Ok, no, thanks. I wont test a patch to solve the problem of load game if there is a risk of lose the data. C'mon people, it may be ok if you give early access to new things but this is not one of that things.

There is no risk of losing data from the main game because the save locations are completely different. So the only progress you would lose is from the extra copy of the save you place in the above directory, if you chose to do so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, SES_joe said:

If you watched the vlog, I clearly mention in there that we pushed the next big update (Wanderer). We made the Summer Update in a short amount of time to fill the gap instead of going another month without any content. 

Also, just because you don't care about a sphere to mess around with, doesn't mean that we didn't add anything that people have been clamoring for.

There have been hundreds of requests for more storage, more lighting, and expansion of the base building system. So although you view this as a "waste of time and effort" understand that not every update we push is going to fit perfectly within YOUR play style. And also understand that updates like this are free and extra content in between larger features. A vehicle bay sounds awesome, and actually, I have been using the new canopy as a vehicle staging area since it got added. 

TL;DR: We added some new content that was "easy" to make while we worked on bigger features. 

I appreciate the feedback. It was shocking to see, to be honest. 

My point was why not add one more thing that people have been clamouring for? I mean your 80% of the way to a garage which has been asked for, for well over a year if not longer. But you decided not to, instead a beach ball? The goal could have been made just larger, solid walls and a couple of additional items and, walla! Another item that has been begged for, forever, would have been completed and the suggestions and ideas forum would have been used.

But we have sphere's to mess around with. We have three of them. A fourth will do exactly? A fourth adds? 

Also, I did state that 10 year olds are going to need shiny things to keep them happy. Just curious why a couple of new suits and visors was not enough eye candy for them? Plus they are getting horns soon in the wanderer update. 

Sorry, if it were me, and my team had some 'free' time to add something, a soccer game (in a space exploration game), whose customer request for said soccer; is less than 1% of 1%, I would have opted to add something that people have been requesting. Yes, another thing! Why would there be a limit in supplying the customer base another one of their requests? 
I'm not following that line of logic, sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mumbles mumbles said:

You still can not use the drills on the rovers you the gas doesnt work and you just sink in the ground, this is beyond rediculous, how can a game so broken be up for so many awards?

Yeah this bug has been a thing for a while and reported multiple times and the devs have yet to acknowledge it even exists. As far as I know it's something that only affects older games saves since something in an previous update broke it. I was taking my time building up supplies before I attempted to start drilling to planet cores only to encounter this bug which made all my progress to that point worthless. It was such a major annoyance and turn off that I stopped playing the game. I didn't want to start from scratch and grind for dozens of hours to get back to the same point of progress.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Haze33E said:

Yeah this bug has been a thing for a while and reported multiple times and the devs have yet to acknowledge it even exists. As far as I know it's something that only affects older games saves since something in an previous update broke it. I was taking my time building up supplies before I attempted to start drilling to planet cores only to encounter this bug which made all my progress to that point worthless. It was such a major annoyance and turn off that I stopped playing the game. I didn't want to start from scratch and grind for dozens of hours to get back to the same point of progress.

I'm playing on a puter. I've been playing the same save game (500 hours +/-) since the game's release back in February. I'm getting about 40 FPS on my home base and I have thousands upon thousands upon thousands of items: resources (800+), storage(500+), research pods(786), gasses (300+), 500+ in scrap, literally thousands of items at my home base and I've not crashed and burned once. Through multiple updates.
If your puter is halfway decent I'd say you may want to fire the game back up again. You may be pleased with all the progress that has been made
If however your on another platform, I have no idea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Version 1.2.9.0 installed today on Windows 10.  The lag is worse than ever.

Devs, please STOP introducing new toys (beach ball and goals, what a freaking waste of time), and fix the Damm game.  Thank You

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Haze33E said:

Yeah this bug has been a thing for a while and reported multiple times and the devs have yet to acknowledge it even exists. As far as I know it's something that only affects older games saves since something in an previous update broke it. I was taking my time building up supplies before I attempted to start drilling to planet cores only to encounter this bug which made all my progress to that point worthless. It was such a major annoyance and turn off that I stopped playing the game. I didn't want to start from scratch and grind for dozens of hours to get back to the same point of progress.

It does it with new saves aswell, just dont drill on vehicles, I can use one on the large rover only, like drive tap n drill stop  drive tap n drill. Repeat, it doesnt work properly and is a pain. But ya still the same issue with a new save, so save your time lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

I'm playing on a puter. I've been playing the same save game (500 hours +/-) since the game's release back in February. I'm getting about 40 FPS on my home base and I have thousands upon thousands upon thousands of items: resources (800+), storage(500+), research pods(786), gasses (300+), 500+ in scrap, literally thousands of items at my home base and I've not crashed and burned once. Through multiple updates.
If your puter is halfway decent I'd say you may want to fire the game back up again. You may be pleased with all the progress that has been made
If however your on another platform, I have no idea

Were talking about the gas pedals being non responsive on the rovers while the drills are enabled, and the rovers sinking or falling through the ground, I'm not sure if it's a PC issue aswell but it sure is on xbox. Atleast what I see on Z1Gaming it doesnt look like he has that issue on PC 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is anyone else having issues with updating the game through windows 10? i was able to update my xbox one but not my pc yet for some reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@SES_joe thank you for coming back here and answering some feed back from @The Touch of Grey Gamer, im really happy to see someone engage on the forums, i dont know what sparked it but could you please do it more:)

 

 

ignore the quoted part it wont go away.

On 6/21/2019 at 1:00 AM, Dave Harris said:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

I'm playing on a puter. I've been playing the same save game (500 hours +/-) since the game's release back in February. I'm getting about 40 FPS on my home base and I have thousands upon thousands upon thousands of items: resources (800+), storage(500+), research pods(786), gasses (300+), 500+ in scrap, literally thousands of items at my home base and I've not crashed and burned once. Through multiple updates.
If your puter is halfway decent I'd say you may want to fire the game back up again. You may be pleased with all the progress that has been made
If however your on another platform, I have no idea

I'm on PC and my save was made when 1.0 launched. I wanted a fresh save to avoid any bugs from the update but I see that was futile. I launched the game after the summer update and the bug still exists. I also lost a tractor with 2 trailers and a reactor attached to it when I was testing for it. I could just start a new game and hope the bug doesn't carry over into a new save. It'll suck losing my base/progress to a bug though.

4 hours ago, mumbles mumbles said:

Were talking about the gas pedals being non responsive on the rovers while the drills are enabled, and the rovers sinking or falling through the ground

Yeah that's the exact problem I'm having. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep youre chin high SE! Most of the people who go out of their way to a forum is to b¡ch and moan, while I didnt know there was a forum! You guys are doing fantastic, and im sure I speak for the 87.36% of the community that understands what it takes to maintain a game. No if's and's or but's in this thread. Just a small beacon of light in a large room of sh¡tposts by people who probrobly dont even know the first thing about basic software and design! All GOOD games have ups and downs, but I feel people responded to the 1.0 update the way they did because you have a strong community who wants to see this game take off just as much as you. Trust me, soon enough, they'll all eat their words. ; )

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, EmeraldGamerr said:

Keep youre chin high SE! Most of the people who go out of their way to a forum is to b¡ch and moan, while I didnt know there was a forum! You guys are doing fantastic, and im sure I speak for the 87.36% of the community that understands what it takes to maintain a game. No if's and's or but's in this thread. Just a small beacon of light in a large room of sh¡tposts by people who probrobly dont even know the first thing about basic software and design! All GOOD games have ups and downs, but I feel people responded to the 1.0 update the way they did because you have a strong community who wants to see this game take off just as much as you. Trust me, soon enough, they'll all eat their words. ; )

 

Opinions are like butt holes..... in that everybody has one!
I however use facts....just facts.....facts

Edited by The Touch of Grey Gamer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, EmeraldGamerr said:

Strong community, remember?

 

I have no idea what this means however I can pull apart your post.

#1 Most of the people who go out of their way to a forum is to b¡ch and moan.... this is not a fact just your opinion. As a matter of fact on this forum, the non-bich posts far outweigh the bich posts

#2 im sure I speak for the 87.36% of the community.... Again, this number is not based on any facts and was just pulled out of something or somewhere. This is Trumpian 

#3 in a large room of sh¡tposts.... again, not based in fact. Posts that state the truth are difficult for anyone but fanbois to classify as sh!tposts

#4 who probrobly dont even know the first thing about basic software and design.... again, if you spent more than 10 minutes reading more than one thread you would see that this is, once again, just your opinion and it is not based on any facts what-so-ever

#5 All GOOD games have ups and downs.... not true at all. There are many games that improve over time, not get worse, not create more bugs, not take two steps backwards to gain one step forward. There are some games that only improve without having to take any steps backwards. Many people here can provide you a list

#6 Trust me, soon enough, they'll all eat their words.... Dood, I've been waiting since December 2016 to enjoy that meal! I would be more than happy to eat my words but wouldn't the splitter have to work first? Or the terrain analyzer? Just to name two legacy bugs. Just two. 

I've got more than 1,500 hours into the game. I love the game, obviously. I love the devs and the entire team. I can however call out BS or make suggestions, provide facts etc. without hating anyone. For example just because I hate legacy bugs does not mean I hate anyone at SES. They are not mutually exclusive. It is not a zero sum game to me like it apparently is to you. Well, that is my opinion anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.