Andy Bowden

Caves

Hello there, do all of the planets have a cave system? I have tunnelled a bit on Atrox and haven't found any yet. Also, on Sylva, i came across a level where there was huge mushroom-like trees, is that the bottom level of that planet's cave system?

thank you

Yes, all of the planets and moons have a cave system.  If you're digging on Atrox, you'll want to equip a drill and maintain power, it will make it a much smoother process.  I'd recommend the Drill Mod 2 or Drill Mod 3.  

All 5 of the (non-moon) planets have something unique in their Mantle layer.  On Sylva, it's the mushroom biome.  Calidor, Vesania, Glacio and Atrox all have something a little different.  If you proceed down, beyond the mantle layer, you will come to the core of the planet.  I'd recommend paying it a visit.

Thank you. In regards to getting to the core, do i need to use drills? I've tried two drill mod 1's on the front of a Heavy vehicle (as was recommended at the time) and i found it very difficult to control what i wanted to do. I often just ended up drilling down when i wanted to drill straight ahead.

Thank you.

Only Drill Mods will work on your terrain tool and only Drill Strengths will work on vehicles.  There is a gauge that will appear in front of you when you have a Drill Strength 1, 2, or 3 equipped to your vehicle that is controlled by your camera position.  It's not the best system in my opinion.  Because the game is in Third Person, you're typically looking over your shoulder and therefore tend to aim your camera down, somewhat, to get a good view of what's immediately ahead of you.  In doing so, the little red bar on the gauge goes down and you follow by digging down.  😒

Watch where the bar is, and if you're drilling to the core, I wouldn't expect to drill back out.  At least, not until the Paver is released in a future update.  If you decide to do it anyway, be prepared to exit and build ramps back up through each cavern layer.  The better option is to take a tractor with a drill on front and a trailer with a power source.  Fill you backpack with enough packagers to pack the Tractor, Trailer, Drill, and Power and anything else you attach then drill down, complete your task, pack up, and take the easy way out

Thank you for such a detailed answer. I hope they improve on the drilling modules soon. All i wanted to do is drill horizontally through a mountain and ended up losing a lot of valuable equipment and time because i ended up drilling diagonally downwards.

Yeah, you just have to sort of look at your back bumper to stay level-ish, which blocks the view of where you're going. 10/10 way to drive.

2 hours ago, Gina said:

Yeah, you just have to sort of look at your back bumper to stay level-ish, which blocks the view of where you're going. 10/10 way to drive.

It is an absolutely terrible way to drive but it is all we have. There are no updates in sight for this mechanism 

I tried driving a vehicle into the ground with a drill attached to the front and it was absolutely terrible. I gained great respect for the person I have been playing multi-player with as he can control the vehicle and the slope of the ramp we are making on our descent. I seem to get pointed down vertically and then it's nothing but a fuster cluck. 

On 6/13/2019 at 9:11 AM, Andy Bowden said:

Thank you. In regards to getting to the core, do i need to use drills? I've tried two drill mod 1's on the front of a Heavy vehicle (as was recommended at the time) and i found it very difficult to control what i wanted to do. I often just ended up drilling down when i wanted to drill straight ahead.

Thank you.

I would suggest digging with your terrain tool and making ramps. Takes time, but it's easier than having to steadily maneuver a vehicle and a drill down in the caves. Easier to get in or out, plus you'll have a nice path to underground resources such as laterite, sphalerite, ammonium and research pods, which are abundant in caves...

The other advantage to using the terrain tool is that you have a tether line all the way to the core that you can use later to explore the various cave levels. Another possible disadvantage to using a rover is that if you die while getting to the core, for whatever reason, it can be a major task to recover your rover and your backpack gear if the ramps that you made with the rover are too steep for your Astroneer to walk down.