Sign in to follow this  
Igoooor

Vehicle idea: exoskeleton "M.U.L.E."

Posted (edited)

The Mining, Utility and Lifting Exoskeleton (M.U.L.E.) is a large size transport robot that is intended for late game.

It has 2 arms, 2 legs, a pilot position on top (which still allows access to the backpack) and a medium connector/storage slot in the back. One each shoulder is one small slot.

There is no default power or oxygen storage included, so the mule will drain power from the player when doing stuff.

1. Mining

The right arm works like the player's tool, with the increased size mod always active (which leads to energy consumption while in use). It has two small slots on the right outer side to use with canisters and mods.

2. Utility

2.1 Legs connector

The legs have 2 connectors each on the bottom with have the sole purpose to store the mule on a large storage space.

2.2 Back connector

The back connector is medium sized and has a power plug. When plugged, the storage space is not available. When plugged to movable objects, the mule can actually pull up to medium sized rovers (so they finally have a purpose), the more, the slower.

2.3 Leg utility (basic)

Each leg has a role.

The right one is the speed leg which increases the general movement and allows sprinting. (2.3.1)

The left one is the jump leg, which allows jumping much higher/further. (2.3.2)

Each leg has an integrated slot (like a small square missing) which allows to alter or enhance the role.

If you put hydrazine canisters into the slot, the corresponding role will use this as fuel to boost its role. It will allow for even higher speeds (right) or hovering/horizontal flight (left). (2.3.3)

2.4 Leg utility (alternatives)

The alternetives always overrides the "empty" role. I tried to match the effects to medium sized slots, numbers are not fixed ;)

Small generator (2.4.1) does actually add 3 organic slots.

Medium generator, boxed (2.4.2) adds one corbon slot.

Small battery (2.4.3) adds a 5 small battery equivalent of power storage.

Medium battery, boxed (2.4.4) adds a medium battery equivalent of power storage.

All power options enable power tether.

Oxygen tank (2.4.5) adds 5 slots of oxygen storage.

Oxygenator (2.4.6) does what it does.

All oxygen options enable oxygen tether.

Canister (2.4.7) does add an equivalent of 5 canisters. Any material stored here is moved into empty canisters on the arm slots.

3. Lifting

The left arm is used like carrying as a player. It can "store" one up to medium size item. It can actually lift bigger items than the player, which has a constant energy cost and slows down depending on size.

There could be an option to "throw" up to medium sized items. (3.1)

4. Exoskeleton

Costs should be like 2 steel 1 nano and 10k+ bytes.

If you work as a team, each player can fulfill a different task. Leg slots can be switched if the mule is empty, which allows for quick adaption.

Basic movement should consume tractor-ish amounts of energy.

I'm open for more utility suggestions and general feedback, all numbers included are open for discussion ;)

Edited by Igoooor

I like the idea for this, but I feel that the leg mechanics are too complex, most of Astroneers gameplay is fairly self explanitary.

Also it could lift vehicles too, which players can't do!

What if the right arm just has a drill slot, which you could replace with other things like a shredder or winch?

I like the adaptability of the leg concept, but yes, it might be too confusing. It could be possible to stick with small attachments instead of allowing boxed mediums...

The drill cannot build things, which i would like to do while being mobile.

The shredder or whinch would fit on the back slot if needed, but medium shredder is just too small in my opinion...

I have for a long time wanted some kind of Mech in this game, and this exoskeleton concept is the closest I've read about so far. The leg system is a little confusing; maybe just have speed and jump mods that you can switch out? I think the exoskeleton should provide the player with oxygen, as it is technically a type of vehicle and all other vehicles provide oxygen. Also, I'm not sure I understand the section marked 2.4. Again, a bit confusing. I like the overall concept, just think it needs a little fine tuning.

The basic idea is to have a vehicle that acts like the suit but slightly better in every way (bigger tool size, better lifting, more speed, a bit more storage, can pull trailers).

8 hours ago, Ghostwolf93 said:

Also, I'm not sure I understand the section marked 2.4. Again, a bit confusing

Basically each leg has a small slot that make most things you put there 5 times "bigger" in effectiveness BUT you lose the ability to sprint/jump.

22 hours ago, Igoooor said:

Basically each leg has a small slot that make most things you put there 5 times "bigger" in effectiveness BUT you lose the ability to sprint/jump.

Thanks, I get it now.👍🏻