Sign in to follow this  
Andy Bowden

Exo Dynamics Research Aid

hello there, currently on Atrox planet and i can't open a EDRA, even using a RTG, it's showing as underpowered. Is this a bug or am i missing something simple?

Thanks

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Andy Bowden said:

hello there, currently on Atrox planet and i can't open a EDRA, even using a RTG, it's showing as underpowered. Is this a bug or am i missing something simple?

Thanks

There are 3 types of research aid;

'Fill my battery' - blue power symbol on top and battery indicators on the bottom; fill the bars to open it.

'Give me a jolt of power' - blue power symbol on top, no battery indicator; use the power connection indicator to show how close you are to the requirement. May need multiple power sources, like the purple surface chambers. 

'Feed me' - require various resources as per the blue symbol on top. Refer to the in-game Astropedia for the symbol guide. 

If you're doing the Atrox chambers you should have plenty of power sources you can use together! 

Edited by Blind Io

It reads like i am not inputing enough power even though im using an RTG. Surely that must provide enough to open it?

3 hours ago, Andy Bowden said:

It reads like i am not inputing enough power even though im using an RTG. Surely that must provide enough to open it?

An rtg provides an endless supply at 4 power units. That's not very much on Atrox. Have you played to rtg level of tech without doing the purples? 

Make up a medium storage with small batteries on all 8 spots and that should give you enough juice to get it cooking. You will need a small platform to connect it to the EDRA, or you could put it on the back of a rover and use that to connect to the power connection.

7 hours ago, Blind Io said:

An rtg provides an endless supply at 4 power units. That's not very much on Atrox. Have you played to rtg level of tech without doing the purples? 

Yes i have. Is that significant?

6 hours ago, Flyingcrowbar said:

Make up a medium storage with small batteries on all 8 spots and that should give you enough juice to get it cooking. You will need a small platform to connect it to the EDRA, or you could put it on the back of a rover and use that to connect to the power connection.

thank you. I'll try that.

1 hour ago, Andy Bowden said:

Yes i have. Is that significant?

You've squished the assumption I made in the first reply! 

But yes, the level of output is what you're looking for. As I mentioned in that reply, multiple power sources may be required for a bigger jolt. If you were familiar with unlocking the purple chambers, you'd be familiar with the concept. 

Blind is right, of course. Things take more power as you progress through the game. On Atrox I had a rover train with several (I won't say how many) medium storage battery packs on it to get enough "amperage" and duration to open the Gateways. Combined with the fact that the terrain on Atrox is quite challenging and the rover is quite heavy with that much load on it, getting to the Gateways was the bigger pain than having enough juice to get the job done.