Navigation is a pet peeve of mine - I'd like to see a compass on the HUD permanently in view at the top of the screen as in other games - with p.o.i.'s marked at their appropriate bearings - at least - things you've already discovered, like gateways, base, beacons etc.
Also - a map of some kind would be nice, to help orient yourself - one that expands as you uncover/discover your surroundings. A map that either automatically adds POI's or one where you can set markers for things of interest - like an iron deposit, or underground cave entrance of note etc. 
The compass you have at the moment is annoying, in that you can't see it while driving - meaning you have to stop every so often, get out of your buggy, click on your character, to see vaguely in which direction you're going - but by the time you've skirted untold holes, hills, forests and other obstacles, you can still get hopelessly lost, as the flag for your home base is only visible a certain distance - after that you have no idea - unless you know the area well. Excursions that go further away are always fraught with the danger of not finding back home. I can't say how many times I've fallen down a hole or died in a cave, with no way of ever finding back. All my gear/ore - lost.

To aid this - some decent headlights / spotlights for the vehicles would be grand! Driving at night is suicidal, and the work lights are only so good.

Speaking of Headlights - some sort of lighting like standalone floodlights or omnidirectional lamps for the base would be real handy full stop.  But that's another story all together

I'll be honest, I only read the last paragraph because of the terrible formatting. 

But yes, proper headlights would be good. 

Posted (edited)

You're right that there's room for improvement with regards to navigation.  Cartography is on the Roadmap in the Potential Future Updates column.  It'll be a while before they get to it though, so in the meantime, there are a few things that you may or may not know that will help you navigate better.

• If you are on Steam and use Experimental Clouds, the outline of your beacons will be visible through clouds.  Keep in mind that Experimental Clouds will negatively impact your FPS/performance and they are not yet available for Xbox players for this reason. (Beacons are never visible beyond the horizon, so put them up high to increase visibility.)
  • On Sylva, the starting habitat is always in the northern hemisphere.  Its distance from the North Pole may vary, but if you're lost, it's good to know that home is probably to the North.  
  • The Star Belt in the sky is on the same plane on every planet and therefore is in line with the equator 100% of the time.  If it is completely vertical, you're on the equator.  If it's completely horizontal, you're on the North or South pole.  So of course, if it's at any other angle, you're between a pole and the equator.  
  • For PC players, if you hold Right Click on your character while you're traveling on foot, your compass will stay visible.  (I'm not sure if this is possible on Xbox, but Right Click is how PC moves the camera.  I'd be interested to know if you can achieve this by hovering over your Astroneer then holding down the stick that moves your camera.)
  • If you build/move your base to the North or South pole, it will be much easier to find as you can simply follow your compass back home.  This works on the surface and in caves.
    • If you're in a shuttle, the North Pole is the furthest point to the right and the South Pole is the furthest point to the left
Edited by Gina

@Blind Io, here it is in plain text:

Navigation is a pet peeve of mine - I'd like to see a compass on the HUD permanently in view at the top of the screen as in other games - with p.o.i.'s marked at their appropriate bearings - at least - things you've already discovered, like gateways, base, beacons etc.
Also - a map of some kind would be nice, to help orient yourself - one that expands as you uncover/discover your surroundings. A map that either automatically adds POI's or one where you can set markers for things of interest - like an iron deposit, or underground cave entrance of note etc. 
The compass you have at the moment is annoying, in that you can't see it while driving - meaning you have to stop every so often, get out of your buggy, click on your character, to see vaguely in which direction you're going - but by the time you've skirted untold holes, hills, forests and other obstacles, you can still get hopelessly lost, as the flag for your home base is only visible a certain distance - after that you have no idea - unless you know the area well. Excursions that go further away are always fraught with the danger of not finding back home. I can't say how many times I've fallen down a hole or died in a cave, with no way of ever finding back. All my gear/ore - lost.

To aid this - some decent headlights / spotlights for the vehicles would be grand! Driving at night is suicidal, and the work lights are only so good.

Firstly - my apple-ogies for the formatting - I'd written the text elsewhere, but in copy and paste it made a mess of it for some reason, and I couldn't figure how to get it to look normal in this editor. My bad.  Thanks to CopperyMarrow for making it legible! Much appreciated!

@Gina - thanks for those tips - those were some things I was not aware of - not wonderful, but still better than naught.

Another one of these nav. niggles is a case I had yesterday on another planet.  I was off my tether exploring - I'd run out of poles...  Got lost and died. Dumb I know.  Tried to find my way back, died again.  Came back a second time, this time I found the body, but the only body marked was the last one I lost.  The first one, the one that had all the gear, lost, and no way of finding it again except by accident, as it's no longer marked once you have a subsequent death.  It'd be good to be able to see stuff like that marked up on an overhead compass HUD, in a dynamic fashion.  Meaning once the body has been recovered, the mark on the compass disappears.

I'm thinking of something as in the compass displayed in the pic below.  Home base, corpses, vehicles etc are all marked on the compass and enable finding them much easier, also indicators to say 'higher' and 'lower' when the object in question is on a different level from you.  Also the ability to name beacons (and colour them) is a good idea - in the game below, you get a scanner, which enables you to find various ore types.  When you find some, you can place a beacon there, give it a colour of choice, and call it 'Iron deposit' for example, and that's how it will appear on the compass....

And you still can't beat a decent map that gives you an idea of the relative position of yourself, home base, any other discoveries etc to help  you get your bearings.  Especially when you consider most planets do not allow you to move line of sight, read: in a straight line.  After the 60th turn to avoid some hole which are hard to see in the dark it's easy to lose your bearings...

<grin>

image.thumb.png.2a6007495ba51d328d9eeb00138f53fc.png

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Gina said:

For PC players, if you hold Right Click on your character while you're traveling on foot, your compass will stay visible.  (I'm not sure if this is possible on Xbox, but Right Click is how PC moves the camera.  I'd be interested to know if you can achieve this by hovering over your Astroneer then holding down the stick that moves your camera.)

to avoid getting or finding your way home if you're lost a small dot on the compass could indicate the direction of your shelter would be very helpful..and as Gina stated above the compass would

stay visible while the right mouse click is in use you would be able to follow that indicator back home over the hills and in my case mountains at times..

Edited by TaeLyn

@TaeLyn Yeah but that doesn't help you if you're in a vehicle - only if you're on foot... but otherwise, some indicators on the compass would be great...