I'd like to make a suggestion for a new terrain tool modifier. 

I would place this modifier as a late game item, but it might be able to be implemented at different game stages if it were balanced correctly. 

The function of this modifier is similar to that of the shredder modules which are already in the game. These take wrecked modules and platforms, among other items, and shred them into the Scrap resource, which can be used in the trade station. 

Equipping the Shred Modifier would allow the player to convert wrecks that they find in the world, which they would then 'dig up',  into scrap nodes, which would build on the end of the terrain tool and pop into the player's inventory like all other mined resources. This would allow the player to obtain scrap without the use of a shredder. This is a very lucrative ability, which is why I have considered it to be a late game item. However, if put into development, it could feature balancing debuffs, such as providing only a fraction of the scrap that could be obtained if a shredder were used. 

A potential benefit for implementing this item from a development perspective is it may allow players to shred the majority of game items. Currently, there is no way to recycle large items in the game. The only method of destroying them is by using dynamite, which does not recover any of the resources used to build these large items and modules. For example, the introduction of the Extra Large shredder allowed the recycling of the Large Shredder. However, what can be used to recycle the Extra Large Shredder? Will we need an even larger shredder? And what will shred that even larger shredder? The introduction of the Shredding Modifier would allow the player to shred all of these items, regardless of the size, providing a solution to this infinite series of ever-increasing shredder sizes. 

Please leave your thoughts below, to continue the discussion 🙂

As always, thank you to SES for your continued hard work and dedication to Astroneer, and I hope that if this is seen then this suggestion is considered.

- Cinnamunoo