Is there anything that can easily be changed with splitters that would make them useful? Could they be easily transformed into auto-miners? I would love to use them and wish so badly that we had more equipment to use. Is there anything that can be done to make them worth even bothering to research let alone build and use? 

I have rarely used the splitters...more out of curiosity than functionality. Extenders though I pretty much use every game. Putting power on top of the hill right next to you will get me more sunlight especially if you use the extra large platform B's back to back or drop a couple of large platform B's on an angle.

Thanks for all your responses @Wary Explorer

I do exactly what you do with extenders when my game first begins. Then after a few hours of play I usually have more than enough power that it does not matter about sunlight/shadows/shade etc. 

It is a shame about splitters. I wish they had a function. Heck, I wish we had more pieces of equipment to use anyway. Could a splitter be used this way:
Place splitter
Open interactive splitter screen
A list of every resource appears
Click on the resource you want to "ping"
Click the button and a scanning lights comes out in all direction looking for that particular resource
If it finds a deposit it 'signals' the Astroneer what direction it is in and its depth?

Splitters are portable so we could carry them and drop them anywhere to ping for resources

1 hour ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

Splitters are portable so we could carry them and drop them anywhere to ping for resources

We have asked for that in the past so many times. I feel like our mining tool now has  a bit of that. Hovering over a spot that you are currently digging now gives the symbol of that resource. Even if we had a wider area with a direction indicator...of course that would leave out the splitter getting some usefulness.

But it is frustrating when you are looking for a resource early game...and knowing you are walking over it a hundred times trying to find a visible vein somewhere else.

Really, the only thing I've used a splitter for is its power measuring display; I put one in line from my power gen to my base to read how much power is moving through the system. Haven't actually split power between two things with it, though.

only time we have used the splitter in our multiplayer game is to see what it does, it holds no real value in the game, power is not an issue at mid-game, enough batterys and rtg's or solar panels, you never can run out of power. i wish they would really rework them

I was in a multiplayer game yesterday and finally got a close look at an actual splitter, and they are OK, I guess. The little display that tells you the amount of power you are generating is a nice touch and useful, to a degree. However, a small platform still offers more ways to distribute power,  may be cheaper/easier to produce, and offers more uses/flexibility than a splitter. 

I never understood the uni-directional requirement of extenders and splitters.  I use extenders to bring power from a large solar farm, but a small platform A has more functionality and less cost than a splitter.  The splitter serves no real purpose due to its uni-directional distribution of power.

Posted (edited)

Splitters are also a problem because if you do split the power and one side of the split, such as research, finishes the splitter will not let the power redirect to the other side. I tried using it several months ago to keep my smelter from hogging all the power so my research could run at 100%. Problem was, when research was done I was wasting 50% of my power since the splitter would not redirect it.

Edited by Wary Explorer

1 hour ago, Kuros Paladin said:

I never understood the uni-directional requirement of extenders

Think of Extenders like extension cords you'd use irl.  They take power from here, to there, not back and forth.

i just see no reason to switch power to other platforms like they want you to do with the splitter, but its really not that hard to get a base running on 100% power and never run out. i never run out of power to any of my bases on my game. they probably need to be reworked or removed.

I think my issue with the uni-directional issue in that you have to build them in the proper direction for them to flow power. An extension cord is just a conductor and could carry power in either direction, and you can plug either end in first and the juice will still flow from the power source to the power consumer. However, if you plug the extenders into the load first and build toward the power generator, the juice will not flow. I would like to see that part reworked.

41 minutes ago, Flyingcrowbar said:

you have to build them in the proper direction for them to flow power.

You can build from either direction, if you happen to build in the "wrong" direction, unplug any of the cables and connect it back in the correct direction and it will correct all other extenders, so they'll all flow that way too.

23 hours ago, Gina said:

You can build from either direction,

Thanks, Gina, that's good information to know. Since I use them so rarely, I had no idea that would work. You saved me the time of having to figure that one out on my own. 

On 6/3/2019 at 2:43 PM, Gina said:

Think of Extenders like extension cords you'd use irl.  They take power from here, to there, not back and forth.

Oh, I understand that.  I guess I just don't know why it was decided to introduce uni-directional power cables.

I mean, up until uni-directional cables were introduced, power cables were taking power back and forth....

This was a bit of a problem when the chevrons were still having animation issues because there were batteries on both sides of the uni-directional cables, and the animation on them would make any laser show envious.  It seems as if the animation has been corrected.