Since there has never been nor (sadly) is there currently any use for Astronium, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what Astronium could be used/good for? 

My thought is that since it is always found deep underground and thus being more difficult to mine/retrieve that it could be a substitute for any other resource. It could be used in place of; scrap, all resources, all refined resources, all gases etc.

What would you like to see Astronium used for?

It's already amazing for research; one astronium gives 1000 bytes in 2 minutes or thereabouts, and you can pull a huge amount of astronium from its ore deposits.

6 minutes ago, Notarobot said:

It's already amazing for research; one astronium gives 1000 bytes in 2 minutes or thereabouts, and you can pull a huge amount of astronium from its ore deposits.

It's now 25 minutes or thereabouts, isn't it? 

Have checked, and it is now 25 minutes. Guess it could still be useful with a lot of parallel researchers? I dunno.

As I suggested in the astroneer discord forum I think it should be made radioactive and required for RTGs. Making RTGs with lithium makes no sense since the lithium isotopes are really poor at this. Alternatively can be used to power the jet pack or some kind of "nuclear reactor" that consumes it very slowly.

57 minutes ago, mystikro said:

As I suggested in the astroneer discord forum I think it should be made radioactive and required for RTGs. Making RTGs with lithium makes no sense since the lithium isotopes are really poor at this. Alternatively can be used to power the jet pack or some kind of "nuclear reactor" that consumes it very slowly.

+1

Maybe to make some sort of "super fuel" to power an inter-galactic space ship to get us to those other star systems that look like they might be coming down the pike. Unless the Gateway System will instantly teleport us there.

2 hours ago, Flyingcrowbar said:

the Gateway System

This entire thing puzzles me. It took SES so much time to construct/design/WAD etc. is that it for the three purple things? I see nothing on the roadmap that states anything about them. Are they just a one and done thing? I was hoping that the purple things would be a catalyst list for expansion but it appears not to be the case. I've done all I can do with them. I wish there was more to do, or more planned or they provided something beyond a task. But hey, maybe that is all there were designed to be and nothing more?

Dunno TTOGG,  I have to agree Astronium is pretty useless, especially when you have no use for bytes anymore, I think maybe it should be used as a fuel source for generators and for hydrazine thrusters, 1 astronium would be able to be used as 1 or 2 hydrazine for thrusters maybe and for generators it would last only a little bit but make everything you run go max speed with the two exceptions of Research Chamber and the trade platform, also make the printers print about 50 - 100% faster than maximum when using astronium on generators, mainly large printer as it is slow af, especially since it requires 4 materials and is relatively expensive compared to medium, small, and backpack. if it is more expensive, I feel that, the "price" should be a trade off for speed. The more expensive, the faster it goes...

3 hours ago, RealLast1 said:

Dunno TTOGG,  I have to agree Astronium is pretty useless, especially when you have no use for bytes anymore, I think maybe it should be used as a fuel source for generators and for hydrazine thrusters, 1 astronium would be able to be used as 1 or 2 hydrazine for thrusters maybe and for generators it would last only a little bit but make everything you run go max speed with the two exceptions of Research Chamber and the trade platform, also make the printers print about 50 - 100% faster than maximum when using astronium on generators, mainly large printer as it is slow af, especially since it requires 4 materials and is relatively expensive compared to medium, small, and backpack. if it is more expensive, I feel that, the "price" should be a trade off for speed. The more expensive, the faster it goes...

+1

TToGG:

With respect to the Gateways, I am assuming that you have seen the end credits for the game and the final "cut scene". From what I saw it looks like the Mystery Satellite may be the key to travel beyond our current star system and travel to other stars and planets. I could be very wrong, but you have to draw your own conclusions. What does everyone else think based on the contents of the "game ending"? 

Well I went to their 'road map' https://trello.com/b/UoZgKrd3/astroneer-development-roadmap

And there is nothing in there about the purple thingys. TBH, I think they were a one and done deal. I've got 500+ hours on my current save game. I unlocked them all, activated all the cores and went to alien island in the sky.......once. I've not gone to a core, a chamber or the alien base since! 

After all the hype before they were released. All the 'teasers'. And this is what we have? A one time unlock and never use again item? 
Man, I wish the devs played the game

13 hours ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

Well I went to their 'road map' https://trello.com/b/UoZgKrd3/astroneer-development-roadmap

And there is nothing in there about the purple thingys. TBH, I think they were a one and done deal. I've got 500+ hours on my current save game. 

In another one of your " i want this for me" threads, you stated you have over a 1000 hours, now it's 500?  You need to chill, they are still working on it, things are going to change, I'm sure more will be added down the road and I"m confident the teleports are not one and done.  Maybe there is an add on later, maybe it will be like subnautica where they have a whole other game that ties into the first.  You do a lot of whiny bantering.  So something isn't on the posted road map, big deal, does that automatically mean, something is or isn't?  I'm sure that have an in-office road map we will never see that has way more info.  The game is still new, relax, go play Peggle!

10 hours ago, nunya said:

In another one of your " i want this for me" threads, you stated you have over a 1000 hours, now it's 500?  You need to chill, they are still working on it, things are going to change, I'm sure more will be added down the road and I"m confident the teleports are not one and done.  Maybe there is an add on later, maybe it will be like subnautica where they have a whole other game that ties into the first.  You do a lot of whiny bantering.  So something isn't on the posted road map, big deal, does that automatically mean, something is or isn't?  I'm sure that have an in-office road map we will never see that has way more info.  The game is still new, relax, go play Peggle!

More than 1,000 hours total more than 500 on my current save. If you are going to read, reading comprehension has to be a part of your itinerary.
You are confident the teleports are not a one and done. And the facts you have to back up this theory are?
Maybe this..., maybe like subnautica... again you have zero facts just a lot of maybe's 
What would the purpose of a road map be if things that are on it are not going to be completed. And things not on it are going to be completed? Are you sure it is a map? Because if what you say is true, SES sure seems lost! 😋😊😀😉
An in-office road map? Again, what proof do you have of this?
What proof do you have of anything you posted? I, I on the other hand only post facts. 

In addition @nunya I don't recall I single post I've made that is a zero sum or mutually exclusive initiative. If you comprehend what I post they are all 'player choice' issues. A perfect example would be back when SES was at PacWest. Joe was showing a reporter some new features. Then night fell. Since showing the reporter the information at night was difficult to see & film, Joe used a little tool to change night to day! So my request has always been: it is already made, why can't we have it too? How does it hurt anyone on any level if we, the players, have this tool? I could absolutely see myself creating a weekly MP "DARK SIDE OF THE MOON" series (once servers are available) where we play in total darkness 100% of the time! I can see sometimes wanting to play in 100% daylight as well. So again, not zero sum not mutually exclusive. It hurts no one. It is player controlled. For the older player with bad eyesight. For those that like things exactly the way they are, for those that want maybe 25% more darkness or daylight etc. etc. etc. It would have zero effect in caves so again, how do we not have this? I'm asking for something that is already made. It would be a benefit to everyone that wanted to use it and to those that don't use it, it harms them in zero ways. Heck, I'd even be willing to pay for it! However, we still don't have access to it. Why? SES has a section on this here forum for suggestions: yet we get a splitter? The day/night tool is already made. It would be better for everyone who plays. There is absolutely zero downside. SES asks for suggestions.......... are you seeing how none of this adds up? I mean, I'm using SES's own formula and still nada?
If I'm in charge, someone would have to have an extremely strong argument as to why my players don't have this tool. 

So go back and read my posts or better, comprehend what I'm saying. Nothing I post is about me. Everything I post is about the betterment of all players. I'm 100% about player choice. I strongly believe there is more than one way to enjoy this game in both SP & MP. SES's asks for suggestions. I'm playing 100% by their rules. Your upset that I'm lobbying for a better game for all players?

In the natural world are there not planets that get zero sunlight? Some that receive much more? Some that have a dark side? Is what I'm asking for really out of the realm of possibilities? 

And let me be clear I don't care that we received a splitter. Could it just be made to work as designed? Work in some fashion? It has been how long since its introduction and still not a fix? Or a single statement by the person described as a "communications guru"? I want more and more things to build and use and extract etc. but is it really too much to ask that when we receive them that they work?  Can't the splitter go back into some type of reconfigurment stage? Along with the drill gauge? You enjoy using those two things? Does anyone? Yes, I would love to dig with a drill on a vehicle as well as lay roads with it too! I think that will be amazing. Except with the current gauge system, it's not going to be "all that" now is it? I mean can't most of us see the future without actually being able to use it? 

Another perfect example is the jet packs. I LOVE LOVE LOVE them and want them so badly. However......how they are currently configured. They have to be in the two flexable slots on the backpack which means, no lighting. Which in caves, terrible. Second they will require at least two fuel? That is now four slots taken from the 13 total. Now imagine you are flying around...need oxygen... so you either have a portable oxygenator or you fly exclusively along a tether line. So in one scenario another slot taken for the PO and one for organic fuel? Up to a possible 6 slots now depending on how one plays. The other option is flying without a PO, which means along a tether line which is, yawn.
So I've always stated why not put the lights in the helmet like you know in real life which would save two backpack slots and we would always have lighting in caves even while flying!
A win/win/win. How is lighting in a helmet a request only for me? 
How is anything I've ever requested only for me?
So six slots are taken, I carry more things like a drill and a mod maybe an oxygen tank, tethers etc. When added all up, there are not many slots for carrying anything; resources, research, scrap etc. So yeah the jetpacks are awesome. But even before I put my hands on one I can see the issues. Can't those issues be addressed before release? The harm in fixing something before it is released is wrong because? Not doing so got us splitters and splitters are good?
We want more splitter type items?
Hasn't the terrain analyzer been proof enough? How long has that been in the game and that don't work as designed either. 

I don't care about being called names. Again, I'm about facts. 😜 

Posted (edited)

BRAVO!    TTOGG...…… Couldn't say it any better myself  And what's with the Attitude all the time over someone saying how many hours they have on a save or total game time.... When 1.0 came out Stream stole nearly 300 hours off my acct and nobody could explain how 2500 hours game time dropped to 2200 and some pocket change...  Those are Frick'en achievements in my worthless opinion that players should be happy about not bitter as to.

TTOGG... Again with my Opinion …. Your reasoning was very sound... don't waste your time explaining.....I use to and got burned out by the ignorance.

Oh...Before I forget.... I think SES could have nerfed Astronium to 1000 points for 5-10 minutes but the current Nerf was Straight Out Stupid on their part.

Edited by KeeblerOrc

I think Astronium should be able to be refined using Hydrazine, then used in highly advanced machines, such as, if released, Automation Control and item requisition. Keep in mind that this is all just something I would suggest to SES.

4 hours ago, thebloxxer11 said:

I think Astronium should be able to be refined using Hydrazine, then used in highly advanced machines, such as, if released, Automation Control and item requisition. Keep in mind that this is all just something I would suggest to SES.

+1

On 5/25/2019 at 9:12 AM, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

In addition @nunya I don't recall I single post I've made that is a zero sum or mutually exclusive initiative. If you comprehend what I post they are all 'player choice' issues. A perfect example would be back when SES was at PacWest. Joe was showing a reporter some new features. Then night fell. Since showing the reporter the information at night was difficult to see & film, Joe used a little tool to change night to day! So my request has always been: it is already made, why can't we have it too? How does it hurt anyone on any level if we, the players, have this tool? I could absolutely see myself creating a weekly MP "DARK SIDE OF THE MOON" series (once servers are available) where we play in total darkness 100% of the time! I can see sometimes wanting to play in 100% daylight as well. So again, not zero sum not mutually exclusive. It hurts no one. It is player controlled. For the older player with bad eyesight. For those that like things exactly the way they are, for those that want maybe 25% more darkness or daylight etc. etc. etc. It would have zero effect in caves so again, how do we not have this? I'm asking for something that is already made. It would be a benefit to everyone that wanted to use it and to those that don't use it, it harms them in zero ways. Heck, I'd even be willing to pay for it! However, we still don't have access to it. Why? SES has a section on this here forum for suggestions: yet we get a splitter? The day/night tool is already made. It would be better for everyone who plays. There is absolutely zero downside. SES asks for suggestions.......... are you seeing how none of this adds up? I mean, I'm using SES's own formula and still nada?
If I'm in charge, someone would have to have an extremely strong argument as to why my players don't have this tool. 

So go back and read my posts or better, comprehend what I'm saying. Nothing I post is about me. Everything I post is about the betterment of all players. I'm 100% about player choice. I strongly believe there is more than one way to enjoy this game in both SP & MP. SES's asks for suggestions. I'm playing 100% by their rules. Your upset that I'm lobbying for a better game for all players?

In the natural world are there not planets that get zero sunlight? Some that receive much more? Some that have a dark side? Is what I'm asking for really out of the realm of possibilities? 

And let me be clear I don't care that we received a splitter. Could it just be made to work as designed? Work in some fashion? It has been how long since its introduction and still not a fix? Or a single statement by the person described as a "communications guru"? I want more and more things to build and use and extract etc. but is it really too much to ask that when we receive them that they work?  Can't the splitter go back into some type of reconfigurment stage? Along with the drill gauge? You enjoy using those two things? Does anyone? Yes, I would love to dig with a drill on a vehicle as well as lay roads with it too! I think that will be amazing. Except with the current gauge system, it's not going to be "all that" now is it? I mean can't most of us see the future without actually being able to use it? 

Another perfect example is the jet packs. I LOVE LOVE LOVE them and want them so badly. However......how they are currently configured. They have to be in the two flexable slots on the backpack which means, no lighting. Which in caves, terrible. Second they will require at least two fuel? That is now four slots taken from the 13 total. Now imagine you are flying around...need oxygen... so you either have a portable oxygenator or you fly exclusively along a tether line. So in one scenario another slot taken for the PO and one for organic fuel? Up to a possible 6 slots now depending on how one plays. The other option is flying without a PO, which means along a tether line which is, yawn.
So I've always stated why not put the lights in the helmet like you know in real life which would save two backpack slots and we would always have lighting in caves even while flying!
A win/win/win. How is lighting in a helmet a request only for me? 
How is anything I've ever requested only for me?
So six slots are taken, I carry more things like a drill and a mod maybe an oxygen tank, tethers etc. When added all up, there are not many slots for carrying anything; resources, research, scrap etc. So yeah the jetpacks are awesome. But even before I put my hands on one I can see the issues. Can't those issues be addressed before release? The harm in fixing something before it is released is wrong because? Not doing so got us splitters and splitters are good?
We want more splitter type items?
Hasn't the terrain analyzer been proof enough? How long has that been in the game and that don't work as designed either. 

I don't care about being called names. Again, I'm about facts. 😜 

I would have upvoted this post if the forums had that feature, but, alas...

On 5/25/2019 at 11:39 PM, KeeblerOrc said:

Oh...Before I forget.... I think SES could have nerfed Astronium to 1000 points for 5-10 minutes but the current Nerf was Straight Out Stupid on their part.

I agree. 10 minutes would have been the sweet spot. 25 minutes, however, was too much...