mystikro

Read here you want to help me figure out the freeze bug

Posted (edited)

So,

With the help of a mod from the Discord server I got a ini config file. Using it I was able to run the game without any issues for an hour, which is new.

The file needs to be located in the folder c:\Users\(your username)\AppData\Local\Astro\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\GameUserSettings.ini

What I need someone to help me with:

1. Backup your current file and put it somewhere else or rename it (eg. GameUserSettings2.ini or GameUserSettings(old).ini)

2. Download the file attached;

3. Open it with notepad and go to the lines below and ONLY change the following lines and nothing else (critical step)

ResolutionSizeX=1920
ResolutionSizeY=1080
LastUserConfirmedResolutionSizeX=1920
LastUserConfirmedResolutionSizeY=1080
And make sure that you are using the correct resolution for your machine

4. Copy the file in your folder

5. Start the game, but in the menu please leave the display mode settings to WINDOWED FULLSCREEN. It is critical that you DO NOT CHANGE the display mode to FULLSCREEN for the purpose of this test, not even for a second as this will screw up the settings file and ruin the purpose of the test.

6. Play the game and let me know if the freeze still happens. If the game still freezes, and you have not fiddled with the FULLSCREEN settings, please attach your file to this thread along side with the time it took for the freeze to occur.

Based on the data I will gather I will be able to submit this to SES to have them take a look into what's is at fault. Now, please note that this is mostly empirical testing, but I have not been able to play more than 5 minutes before using this new settings file. If your game isn't working anyways, what do you have to lose?

Thanks.

PS:

If you don't mind, I would also appreciate the following information:

1. The old config file as well to be attached (please mark it old somehow in the name);

2. Tell me if your install is in the default Steam library folder (C:\Program Files) or if you are using a custom install folder for the steam library (eg where is the actual game installed on your pc)

GameUserSettings.ini

Edited by mystikro

I might try this tomorrow. But for now, I can confirm that I had this freezing bug and after adding the -nosound parameter in steam I have now achieved about 8 hours of play. Why this is I do not know but it sounds relevant to the problem in some way.

I don't guarantee that this will lead to me finding the issue, but I have noticed an improvement in stability. It could just be random chance and all of this be irrelevant. I am aware of the -nosound fix but that is more of a workaround rather than a fix.

Well, after testing for a few hours I found that the freeze still occurs. It does last longer until the game does it. But the fact that it still does seals it. It is somehow related to the fullscreen setting but it is part of the problem. So, you can still try and see for yourself, but since this yelds partial improvements I am going to call it quits. I will still look at your files if you upload them.

Posted (edited)

@mystikro I will test it and get back to you when I finish. Thanks a lot for your work, even if it doesn't completely pan out. At least you're trying to fix the issue.

Edit: Tried to access the attachment and got an error:

Sorry, there is a problem

This attachment is not available. It may have been removed or the person who shared it may not have permission to share it to this location.

Error code: 2C171/1

If you could PM me the attachment, I can re-try it.

Edited by GeneralMayonaise

I tried the fix but was not able to stay in the game for more than five minutes before crashing. Also, I couldn't get the game to boot in windowed fullscreen so I don't think my results are valid. I'm not sure how to upload attachments, so here's my info:

Time:

From starting game: 2:25

Loading save to crash: 3:25

.ini file settings:

[ScalabilityGroups]
sg.ResolutionQuality=100.000000
sg.ViewDistanceQuality=3
sg.AntiAliasingQuality=3
sg.ShadowQuality=3
sg.PostProcessQuality=3
sg.TextureQuality=3
sg.EffectsQuality=3
sg.FoliageQuality=3

[/Script/Astro.AstroGameUserSettings]
Language=
Brightness=0
CloudQuality=1
MouseSensitivity=11
MasterVol=0.800000
MusicVol=0.800000
SoundFXVol=0.800000
VoiceVol=0.800000
AmbientVol=0.800000
InvertedCameraYAxixMouse=False
bHoldToSprintMouse=True
InvertedCameraYAxisGamepad=False
bHoldToSprintGamepad=False
bVehiclesUseAbsoluteSteering=True
MaxPlayers=4
AllowInitialPlanetSelection=False
HaveDefaultInputBindingsBeenApplied=True
bUseVSync=True
ResolutionSizeX=1366
ResolutionSizeY=768
LastUserConfirmedResolutionSizeX=1366
LastUserConfirmedResolutionSizeY=768
WindowPosX=-1
WindowPosY=-1
FullscreenMode=1
LastConfirmedFullscreenMode=2
PreferredFullscreenMode=1
version=5
AudioQualityLevel=0
FrameRateLimit=0.000000
DesiredScreenWidth=1366
DesiredScreenHeight=768
LastRecommendedScreenWidth=-1.000000
LastRecommendedScreenHeight=-1.000000
LastCPUBenchmarkResult=-1.000000
LastGPUBenchmarkResult=-1.000000
LastGPUBenchmarkMultiplier=1.000000
bUseHDRDisplayOutput=False
HDRDisplayOutputNits=1000

I copied your file directly to my WindowsNoEditor folder and only changed the resolution. I tried twice, the first time it was set to windowed so I changed it in game, quit, and tried again. As you can see, it still reverted to windowed. I hope you get something out of this.

Posted (edited)

I attached as zip, maybe the site did not like the ini extension.

I analysed the file, I could not find any specific difference, at least not all the information that was in it was pasted here.

Anyways, full disclosure, on what I was testing. What I noticed is the following. When using the initial file, and only modifying the resolution, the file maintained integrity during gameplay.

If, however, I would edit the fullscreen setting, some discrepancies would appear in the content of the file. More precisely, the controls would become scrambled on occasion. Certain key mappings would now be displayed on different rows. But it would always happen after switching the windowed mode to fullscreen. Reverting back to windowed afterwards would not bring the file back to the initial form so it remained "altered".

My suspicion was that the freeze would be caused by the "corruption" of the config file. I thought that the game is looking for the controls in a specific order and somehow this "corruption" of the ini file causes the game to break. The file on the left is the original. The one on the right is the one where I enabled fullscreen.

1364139267_weirdconfigchange.thumb.jpg.a4c293f86b43ba057dec24b7e5820d4e.jpg

If it was naive of me to search for this, I don't know. But I have established a weird (at least empirical) connection between the windowed fullscreen and fullscreen modes. Using the game in windowed mode I got way longer play times than usual. I've seen game crashing from less than this, so I wanted to investigate if the ini file has a role to play into it.

On my system, it does, but that could be just circumstantial. I would like the opinion of a dev it it is normal for the ini file to become rearranged when changing just one setting and if this has indeed any potential to cause issues with the game. But I don't hope to receive such an answer. And I won't be going back to discord to ask any dev anyways since the communication is too deficient for my taste.

Thanks for your effort and time.

GameUserSettings.zip

Edited by mystikro

I salute you, sir. If you would like I can post the full ini file so you can see if the changes appeared on mine. I don't believe it was naive at all, at least you're investigating possibilities. If this is at least part of the crashing issue, that's just bad coding on SES's end. I'll bet you if SES gave the source code to a group of community members (like that would happen) who have experience in coding, a fix could be possible. Code may not be the whole problem but it's definitely a good place to start.