Flyingcrowbar

Co-op game confusion

I wanted to try playing a multiplayer game but have been stumped as to how to do that. I tried clicking the multiplayer start a new game option and got nowhere. There were options for Friends in Game, Friends, and Servers (Coming soon), but none of those options could be selected. So am I to assume that no co-op play can be started from within the game itself? it looks that way to me. If so, where the heck would you launch a co-op game of Astroneer? And who are these friends that the options refer to. Are these people on discord, on Steam, on the dark side of the Moon? If I am on Steam can I only play with folks on Steam, or is a discord person OK too? How do I find these folks? On another note, the Astroneer discord "server" isn't very user friendly. I saw nothing indicating where to find a "friend" to go exploring with. I probably missed it, but the site is cluttered and not much help.

yes you can only coop with ppl that have the game and are also on your steam list, there are no open coop games you thinking of, maybe when or if dedicated  servers are up. they also have to be in game and you basiclly log into their save and their computer.

Thanks for the reply, D. I have been actively pursuing friends on Steam and hope to be able to join a multi-player game soon.

If you are playing with a PC and bought Astroneer from Steam you need to find people that got it the same way. I don't have an Xbox console so I cannot speak for them. However I can say from 1st hand exp that Astroneers obtained from the Windows Store cannot play with those from Steam, unfortunately.
So, once you find someone you can play with, get in touch using the game overlay for either one (the Xbox program in Windows, or the one from Steam). And you can join each other's games that way. For more specifics for either of these, let me know how you got yours.
This is how my friend and I have played it before:
1. Being him in his Xbox console and me on running it from the Xbox program for Windows 10.
2. Both running it from the Xbox program for Windows 10.
3. Both running it from Steam.
The most stable way out of these ways has always been with Steam.
We have do not use Discord. I ignore if it can be used to just find contacts, or if it also replaces the game overlays from the Xbox program and Steam. 

I hope this can help you. Let us know if you have more questions. Good luck

A.T.

Thanks, A.T.! Since my last post I have cultivated a Steam friends list and have played several sessions of multiplayer/co-op Astroneer. I even managed to figure out how to setup the Steam voice-chat system so that I can talk to people who have the necessary equipment while gaming. It really works pretty slick, although there are occasional game drops and glitches that happen. I have been is several 2 person games and a few 3 player romps as well. I have not used discord to find players, and I think that is the only thing that you can do there other than using their VOIP system for voice chat while in game. I figure that since Steam is already running on my system in order to play the game why add a second program that could possibly cause problems or eat up additional clock cycles and slow down the frame rate. That is only my opinion, and could be totally wrong and inaccurate, but there it is anyway.Thanks to the people that looked at this thread, and especially to those that commented and tried to help.