Sign in to follow this  
Flyingcrowbar

Loading things into the new Extra large shredder

OK, we got an even bigger shredder with the most recent update and it works great with medium platforms and such, but how the heck do you load a medium rover chassis into the blasted thing. You can drag these rovers back to base all day long, but since you can't pick it up there is no way that I've figured out to load it into the shredder after you get it back to your base. I thought using a crane might be the answer, but the crane won't attach to it. I tried using the winch to load it too, but as long as it is attached to the winch cable it won't feed into the shredder. What am I missing, or is this just another piece of scrap that is labeled for recycling, but cant be recycled. Any help would be appreciated.

The only option I can think of at the moment is to counter sink the platform and shredder. So that the top of the shredder is more or less even with the ground? Could items then be dragged over the shredder? Would that be an option?

That's one possibility that I didn't think of. I don't know how you would drag something though. Clearly, the winch drags stuff, but, like I said, if the scrap is still attached to the winch cable it doesn't feed into the shredder. Well, not when you hold the winch with your "Hand Held Tractor Beam" anyway. You might be able to use the large or medium rover to push the chassis into the shredder, but I'm not to confident that would work either. This is the first time I have built or used a crane and you can hook the winch to the crane boom to lift the chassis, but you are still faced with the scrap attached to the winch cable not feeding issue.

TToGG:

I assume that you are having the same issue. I find it hard to believe that our Astroneers can lift and move a Large Shuttle, but can't lift a rover chassis.Granted, you can't lift and walk with the large shuttle, but you can lift it, move it, and then reposition and do that again and again until you get the thing where you want it to be. Seems like a bit of unbalanced game play to me. 

What is the biggest object you managed to get into that Extra large Shredder?
I wanted to get rid of my medium shuttle and it wouldn't fit in... had to dynamite it.

What did the dynamite do to it? Did it disappear completely, or perhaps break into smaller recyclable pieces. Last time I tried that the stuff just went up in the air and rained down onto the landscape around my base in whole, undisturbed pieces. Granted, that was still during EA and things may have been changed by now.

Sorry, Bushmills, to answer your question, medium platform or smaller. Anyone try a large platform. Important safety tip, don't put the dynamite in the shredder. Ask me how I know. ;)

When I first tried putting a junk rover in the large shredder, I couldn't lift it. But, I tried something different. I packaged the junk rover. When I unpackaged it, it had a seat on it(I had went around and shredded all the junk seats in the smaller shredder weeks ago). I was then able to junk the seat, and also lift the junk rover and put it through the new shredder. I hope this helps you guys.