I haven't had any crashes for many months now. Long before 1.0. But this last patch broke something significant.

I had a week old save that just started freezing on me after a few minutes of game play. I had probaboy 4 hour in it with no issues. Then it started freezing over and over again after only minutes.

So I thought ok, fine, I'll delete the save and the config files and start over. I hadn't reset the config since 1.0 so I figured it might be that (That was the answer to several issues over a year ago in Alpha). Started a new save and seemed to be going well. Researched a few tables and smelter. Went to get resin and locked up again. Happened to be when I placed a teather so I got the hissing sound on infinite hiss. (The previous crashes I was just standing still)

So now what? Wait for the next patch I guess. So sad. Never even got to see the XL Platform.

I was 100% stable before this.

Specs:
Laptop. Acer F5-573G
i7 7500U
16GB DDR4
Gforce 940MX (alongside Intel HD 620 intergrated - I think the game was on the Gforce tho)
Running on a second monitor via HDMI

I just loaded the game hoping for a quick update fix. Nope.

I sat in the shelter and read the news on a side monitor. Game froze sometime within 5 minutes and I never even exited the shelter.

Posted (edited)

And so I thought let's see if it crashes while I do nothing at all.

Started a new save. Did nothing other than click go. The wind moved and the day/night cycled.

For only 13 minutes. Then it froze with a gust of wind paused across the screen.

This was on my main laptop display this time, not the second monitor. Graphics all lowest.

Edited by Allan

Uninstalled, deleted config folder, reinstalled.

4 minutes of game play, frozen.

:(

I am experiencing the exact same issues. It also seems to be a thing now, when I am in multiplayer, the game freezes alot more, (than it used to on 1.0.15) however, it doesn't crash. (sometimes on the new version it crashes though)
In solo, though it crashes from 5 to 15 mintues, virtually making the game unplayable. I have heard that other people might be having the same issue, but it doesn't seem to be that many of them right now, so I am not sure if the devs will even care.

Best bet, as you said is to wait out the next patch. In the meantime, I am not sure how to downgrade to the last version, so perhaps you could try pirating 1.0.15, either from TPB or IGG

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, mal_blago said:

Best bet, as you said is to wait out the next patch. In the meantime, I am not sure how to downgrade to the last version, so perhaps you could try pirating 1.0.15, either from TPB or IGG

LOL, that is very risque. I have nothing against those that "sail the high seas" so to speak, but you cannot promote it on the forum just like that. It is frowned upon and I get why, but, you know... At least send a PM, damn...

If Yer want to be a scurvy scoundrel and sail against the royal navy, that is fine, but don't actually promote it on forums where it is against the rules.

Also, suggestion for System Era. Can you please put out a free demo on Steam? I mean, what ever happened with games having demos? Back in the era of game magazines, where they would include some CD with all sorts of free, shareware and demos. I don't like what the gaming industry is doing. Putting out demos is the most transparent and honest business practice that a good company can do. Would certainly be appreciated by people that just want to try the game before deciding to buy the game... Am I not reasonable to ask for a demo to be available?

Edited by mystikro

Oh Well, pardon me, I was under the impression that everyone who was on this forum had already baught the game.

Having been in this game for about a year and a half I'm under no illusions that it is still being developed. I recognise that much was rushed because the public wanted 1.0. So I'm just going to wait knowing that they are working on it. As they just said, smelter is in the middle of a code rewrite for example.

I'm just bumbed I can't play it and try the XL shredder and XL platform.

Posted (edited)

Solved?!? Partially. Possibly.

I inserted the -nosound switch (steam, astroneer, properties, general, set launch options) and started a new game. Built a little bit then went out for a bit. After 3 hours it was actually still running.

Haven't had the time to actually play but will update when I do.

DEVS probably already know there are sound issues like this as it was in these forums going back to 2016 that I got this tip from.

Edited by Allan

Confirmed solution for my issue. Hopefully the next patch addresses this and I can hear my game again.