drpeppercan

Can 2 copies of Astroneer join same game with 1 internet connection?

Each of these copies are separate purchases.
I am starting to suspect this is not possible, at least when bought from the Windows 10 Store.
I can see the other account via the Xbox program, but I don't see usual "Join game" option for either of us :(
Has anyone done this?

Thanks

Could you be more clear as to what you mean by 1 internet connection? There shouldn't be any problem connecting via. the game lobby.

19 minutes ago, QuillVest said:

There shouldn't be any problem connecting via. the game lobby.

I remember have done this before with a friend (in different location). And once we were both ready, we were able to see that one could join the other's game by going to the profile page of the friend. There was a circle saying that he could be joint.
However now with my daughter's computer I although I can see her in my friends list, and we joint the same party, I still cannot see any indication of joining a game.

Just now, drpeppercan said:

I remember have done this before with a friend (in different location). And once we were both ready, we were able to see that one could join the other's game by going to the profile page of the friend. There was a circle saying that he could be joint.
However now with my daughter's computer I although I can see her in my friends list, and we joint the same party, I still cannot see any indication of joining a game.

So you are joining not by the game, but by other means? I would always recommend using the game to connect, and not steam or XBox profiles..

Just now, QuillVest said:

So you are joining not by the game, but by other means? I would always recommend using the game to connect, and not steam or XBox profiles..

Ok, it sounds promising. So, how do you do it?

Just now, drpeppercan said:

Ok, it sounds promising. So, how do you do it?

When you are at the main menu, the icon that shows two Astroneers will be multiplayer. If one of you has the game launched and loaded in a save file, the other can join directly via. the menu.

21 minutes ago, drpeppercan said:

I thought that Multiplayer tab was to be used only with the System Era servers...

Nope, and the she has to be in-game in order to be joinable, not to mention be launched from steam

3 hours ago, QuillVest said:

...not to mention be launched from steam

I hate to differ, but...
Astroneers installed via Steam cannot play with those installed via Windows 10/MS Store. This has been the case for either always, or quite some time at least. In fact, I just tried moments ago to confirm it. Furthermore that's precisely the reason why my "third purchase" of Astroneer was via Steam, so that I could play with my friend that had a copy from Steam (because the Multiplayer mode was/is way more reliable that way). Nevertheless, I kept the copies I've got from the MS Store. And now that my both PCs are capable of running the game I thought I would try them. So I thought since both are from the MS Store that means that we can connect via the Xbox program (as I used to do with my friend). But like I said, we can't.