GeneralMayonaise

1.1.0 - Steam - Freezing While Digging/Walking

Summary:

1.1.0 - Steam - Freezing While Digging/Walking

Version:

1.1.0 flight test.

Description:

I have been experiencing freezing while digging. Also, when walking to a distance of one tether from base on Sylva (new save) and placing the tether the game freezes a few steps past said tether. When I open the Task Manager (thankfully my entire computer doesn't freeze like before), it shows Astroneer as not responsive.

System:

Windows 7 Ultimate SP2

Intel i-5 Quad Core 2.3 GHz

Nvidia Geforce 930M 2 GB

8 GB Ram

2 TB HDD

I know this is a beta and is prone to bugs. However, what I don't understand is why the game does this now. For me at this point, the game is once again unplayable.

I look forward to a response,

Thanks

After receiving the full release 1.1.0 patch, Astroneer is still crashing when digging. I don't know many others are having this issue but I don't want to worry about saving every 30 seconds while I am mining for resources.

Although the game still crashes, FPS is improved and the game looks much better when it isn't chunking along. Thanks for that.

I confirm this bug. Definitely the same manifestation.

Windows 10

G4560

16GB RAM

1060 3GB

It makes the game unplayable as the freezes occur often (5 to 30 min).

I also have the same problem will freeze after a few minutes after entering the old game save.

This is very interesting, I turned on the game and the menu was loaded correctly, but after a few minutes I got the message that the game does not give any answers.I did't load the game save, I got a message "Waiting for Astroneer".Do you have the same, please write a comment.

I checked how quickly it would freeze me again. I am very exciting the new update, only that the game does not let me enjoy it. Developers, please fix it.

I have the same issue. Game freezes after 5 minutes. Do you know how to revert it back to any older version?

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Marcin7667 said:

I also have the same problem will freeze after a few minutes after entering the old game save.

I have the same problem but it occurs with a new save as well for me.

6 hours ago, Marcin7667 said:

This is very interesting, I turned on the game and the menu was loaded correctly, but after a few minutes I got the message that the game does not give any answers.I did't load the game save, I got a message "Waiting for Astroneer".Do you have the same, please write a comment.

Did it say "Astroneer has stopped responding" anywhere, and were you able to return to the desktop without restarting your computer? What do you mean by "the game does not give any answers?"

2 hours ago, katrocitus said:

I have the same issue. Game freezes after 5 minutes. Do you know how to revert it back to any older version?

I am currently looking into the option to revert and will post the instructions if/when I find them. I was able to revert before during the beta EFT last week but I'm not sure how it works on Steam with an official release.

Edited by GeneralMayonaise
Forgot to include a question

I have found instructions on how to revert any game on Steam to a previous version. I went through the steps and confirmed that it worked for myself. Its a bit of a process but definitely worth it. Make sure to follow step 9 so Steam doesn't re-download 1.1.0 and you have to start all over. I went with Solution 1 and have had no issues with updating. I hope this works for you as well and I will be creating a new thread in Support for this fix.

Steam Community :: Guide :: How to Downgrade Game Version

5 hours ago, GeneralMayonaise said:

Did it say "Astroneer has stopped responding" anywhere, and were you able to return to the desktop without restarting your computer? What do you mean by "the game does not give any answers?"

"Waiting for Astroneer" the program does not respond, does not give any information. The system sends a query to the game, whether the game is able to function.And the desktop can be returned using the keyboard shortcuts "Alt + Tab","Win+Tab".To stop processing the game I'm doing with the task manager."Ctrl+Shift+Esc".

I can confirm this happens as well. about 5-30 minutes into the game, it will freeze up. 

whatever threads are running the UI deadlock, leaving only the audio running. Task manager reports the game as not responding.

Windows 10 V 17763
Motherboard: GA-78LMT_USB3
GPU: AMD RX 480 with Driver Version 19.3.1
CPU: AMD FX-4350

forgot to mention this is occuring in Astroneer 1.1.2.0

I can confirm the same also.  Tried the Beta version earlier in the week and had to save every 5 minutes because it kept crashing. Very time consuming as you have to go out and in every 5 minutes. Reverted to the 1.0.15 version and all fine.  Now steam has automatically downloaded 1.1.2 and straight away it freezes and then crashes.  Would love it to be fixed so I can play the new version but will try to revert to 1.0.15  Done memory check and nothing wrong  

Windows 10 Pro V17763

Surface Book  Intel Core i7-6600U CPU @ 2.60GHz

RAM - 16GB

Thanks

This is even worse in the 1.1.2 version than it was in Beta.  I have been in 3 times now and it freezes within the first 5 minutes.  The last time I wasn’t doing anything but the research chamber was going.  Not going to try again as it is a waste of time.  Not sure if I can manage to downgrade to a previous version as it looks quite complicated. 

@brookymumI didn't even bother trying 1.1.2. After reading all of the complaints about it I would rather play the game as it was in 1.0.15. The downgrade process is a little complicated but imo it's totally worth it. If you do try it, just make sure to back up any files you change. If you have any questions I am on the forum a couple times a day and I can try to help.

@brookymum No problem, I'll see if I can find a less complicated way to revert. It's incredible that the devs seem to only be focusing on cosmetic improvements, content updates, and minor bug fixes when the latest update has broken the game. Early access is a great idea when devs take the time to listen to their community. Otherwise you end up with games like this, great concept but terrible execution.

@GeneralMayonaise thanks.  I had it downloaded on a second computer (PC) also and tried it there on the off chance - 1.1.2 worked but was very slow FPS but at least it didn’t crash. Am going to check with my IT guy tomorrow - it may be the version of windows even though in both places I use it through steam.  The laptop where it crashes on has Windows 10 Pro while my PC has Windows 7 I think. 

@brookymum No problem. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate edition and I can't play for more than 5 minutes. Also, I have not been able to find a less complicated way to revert versions. I did find a video that goes through the process though. It's not for Astroneer but it has the same principle. The only other way to revert would be if the devs decided to add the previous versions under the Beta tab in the games properties. Which considering how little they pay attention to bugs, chances are slim to none that they would implement that feature. Would be nice though.

@GeneralMayonaise just to let you know that I turned off the sound For Astroneer under Steam, Astroneer, Properties, General, Set Launch Options then used the  [-nosound] command and all seems to be working except the sound of course.  It hasn’t crashed for a couple of hours - this is 1.1.2. I got it from another thread on here and several people seem to have mentioned it. @Axum this might work for you also.  It must be a sound problem. 

The -nosound parameter works for me. FPS isn't all that great, but it is more smooth than it was before. Less jerky and that is definitely an improvement. What doesn't make sense is why having no sound does this. The sound files must take up a lot of RAM if that's the case, which is ridiculous. I shouldn't be looking a gift horse in the mouth though, so I appreciate @brookymum and whoever figured this out to begin with.

Seems that the new beta is out and that it fixes the freezes. I've been playing for an hour so far and abusing the game. Could be fixed.