GeneralMayonaise

Is Astroneer No Longer Supported by Devs?

Dear System Era,

I just joined after searching your forums for an answer to why the game is unplayable. After searching for several hours on multiple occasions, I haven't found a single question on this forum you have answered. As of today, I have stopped playing Astroneer four times for extended periods because of game breaking bugs and crashes. I've also gotten tired of causing damage to my hardware from several hard resets nearly every time I try to play.

Honestly, I'm not completely sure as to why I'm even bothering to post this. Is there a single dev in your company that even bothers to check the forums other than to post update news? From what I have seen, many players can't even play the game or are tired of having to start from scratch. The purpose of a forum is for the players to discuss the game, propose ideas to improve the game, and when necessary post bug and crash info so devs can at least attempt to fix the issues that have occurred. The only posts I have seen from you are update and award announcements.

Along with many others, I love your game. It was a great idea, has promise, and for the most part I enjoyed the times I was able to play. The biggest issue that upsets me is that I paid for a game that was supposedly past beta and supposedly had the major bugs worked out. Instead, I paid for a game that was seemingly rushed, as if putting 1.0 on something that wasn't ready for it magically makes the game work. That being said, I really hope your game improves from the state it's in now. The only way I see that happening is for you to start paying attention to your community. Otherwise, you might not have one left if you continue to ignore it.

I've been having similar issues with support from devs. I posted about my game not working at least a month ago and have yet to receive any help. Its very frustrating. 

It's certainly unfortunate that they haven't made their position on the forum clear. That position is still 'look but don't touch' by the way.

Being a member of the Discord (which shows they're active on Twitter too) I'm still a believer, but it's totally understandable that to someone looking only here, the devs are stand-offish. 

It just doesn't make sense to me that they would create the forum with a bug posting section if they're not going to check it. It kind of reminds me of EA except they'll respond. Not that it matters much, its usually an "Eff you, we're not going to bother. Here's a support ticket. Btw, you are 1,426,843,629th in line, so get comfortable."

Most of all, I kind of just wanted to post to see if they would respond. Kind of like "Dev-gods, are you there?" All I'm saying is if you are going to create something for the purpose of working out the kinks, with the help of the community, maybe the devs should check in once in a while.

On 4/29/2019 at 12:42 PM, GeneralMayonaise said:

I've also gotten tired of causing damage to my hardware from several hard resets nearly every time I try to play.

You're not causing hardware damage, it's fine.

On 4/29/2019 at 12:42 PM, GeneralMayonaise said:

The purpose of a forum is for the players to discuss the game, propose ideas to improve the game, and when necessary post bug and crash info so devs can at least attempt to fix the issues that have occurred. The only posts I have seen from you are update and award announcements.

The devs use the bug report section to directly feed into their development when they come to their bugfix push weeks.

Since Astroneer released in February, they have released no fewer than 6 patches, all of them at least addressing some bugs that have been reported by users like us playing the game and posting bug reports. They are also soon releasing the first content update (1.1.0), which also fixes a whole bunch of bugs (just read this):

They are a small development team, they don't have a lot of time on their hands to reply to every post on the forum and release patches and updates and address bugs that are being raised. 

On 5/1/2019 at 12:24 PM, Eseneth said:

I posted about my game not working at least a month ago and have yet to receive any help. Its very frustrating. 

Your posts (for some reason you made two almost exactly the same, a day apart) were only posted about 2 weeks ago, not a month. Additionally your posts, while they contained screenshots, didn't contain any system specs. Granted, you can't be expected to know which information to include when you're just given a blank text box to write in. Someone probably should have posted telling you to include your system specs, but your post might have been buried.

@tntexplosivesltdIf the bugs section feeds into the bug fixes, why does the game still crash like it did before. Now with 1.1.2, the game is guaranteed to crash in the first 30 mins of play.

Who gives a flying rat crap about content updates when I can't even get through 30 min of gameplay? I mean seriously dude, which is more important? A large scrapper and a few small bugs over something that makes the game unplayable? I had to revert my game back to 1.0.15 which for some back asswards reason is somewhat more stable that the latest "patch". Its not a patch if it makes it worse. That is a hole. Patch covers hole...hole does not cover patch (if it did, there would be something seriously wrong with the universe. Or your perception of it). If you are going to release a game as 1.0, that generally means that the major bugs are worked out. If they hadn't jumped the gun on releasing and actually done a beta test, we wouldn't be having this discussion. I have read many different posts that say the game was more stable pre-release (which was alpha, not beta) than now. I was unfortunate enough to buy the game post-release and so far I have felt that I wasted my money. Still waiting for an actual 1.0 where I don't have to worry about saving every couple min fearing a ctd or a complete system freeze. Which should have been the first priority over Terrain 2.0.

On 5/5/2019 at 8:28 PM, tntexplosivesltd said:

Your posts (for some reason you made two almost exactly the same, a day apart) were only posted about 2 weeks ago, not a month. Additionally your posts, while they contained screenshots, didn't contain any system specs. Granted, you can't be expected to know which information to include when you're just given a blank text box to write in. Someone probably should have posted telling you to include your system specs, but your post might have been buried.

What does it matter about the date? Eseneth's issue is way worse than mine, at least I can fully start the game. System specs are all well and good, but when you take system specs from 20 different posts and see that they all vary by brand and quality with the same problem it doesn't help much. Even less so when the issue is ignored.

Have you actually provided any useful info other than running around asking "System specs? System specs?" Try contributing instead of policing other member's posts. Its irritating and unnecessary especially when that's the bulk of your posts. Which is only 14, so I'm pretty sure you're neither moderator, admin, or a developer.

Posted (edited)
On 5/6/2019 at 6:28 AM, tntexplosivesltd said:

They are a small development team, they don't have a lot of time on their hands to reply to every post on the forum and release patches and updates and address bugs that are being raised. 

Yeah, but their price is that of a big development team, so something needs adjusting. Either they increase the team proper to fit the almost AAA price, or they drop the price. You cannot have your soul in heaven and your bottom in hell.

While I just bought the game recently I still feel like they need to stop releasing broken patches or drop the price.

@SES_joe, may I suggest some reasonable things (if you're not doing it already).

Choose a team of free QA testers/players that get early access to builds (daily, or as soon as you have one ready). I think steam can help you with this, they have beta codes and stuff where you can enter that and gain access to it. The community can enroll and log bugs for you guys (JIRA or anything open source). You get free QA, the players feel like they are part of the development. As a reward you can give them some exclusive things, like special suits, maybe a special building or item that only they can use (think about mini RTG for the backpack). And to get it you need to be an active QA member for a period of time and have quality bug reports/testing history. Does that seem fair? You can grant periodic rewards, even discount codes that they can share with friends so that you get to increase the player base. I think that's a good marketing strategy and you would be able to get more people involved in the game. For the most dedicated QA users you can also add them to the game credits. Give them Astroneer printed figurines, Astroneer USB drives, invite them to exclusive live streams or hang outs where you can discuss things and stuff.

And all you need is one QA manager. Someone to supervise the QA process. Someone that is active and interacts with the QA and the forum. You took refuge in the Discord server and don't really care for the users on Steam or on the forum. I think that is a bad approach. Get one community manager to have daily contact with the users so that the forum doesn't feel like an empty echo.

If you are interested in talking more about these things you can contact me via PM. I don't want anything from the Ses team. I just want the game to work, because I like it, willing to discuss about any sensible advice or ideas.

Edited by mystikro

+10 @mystikro That has to be one of the best solutions I've seen so far. I would love to be on the QA community team even if I didn't get any of the merch you mentioned. I love the concept of the game and would jump at the chance to be a part of fixing the major issues it has. I really hope someone from SES sees this.

Posted (edited)

I hope so too. The most valuable asset a game has is not the money, the office or the marketing. It's the playerbase. If you can value that and increase it, you will get hardcore fans that spread the word. You can pay any journo to write about how great some game is, but the users reviews and word of mouth will make or break the game. If you can get players involved and offer transparency you at least set yourself on a path to success. A QA program is one step. You can also hold competitions on new ideas of what to implement in the game. Give out some prizes, free copies of the game that players can gift, logos, tshirts, badges, bracelets, backpacks or whatever small thing that shows appreciation. Hold some big competition every now and then and offer a trip to 1-2-3 winners to your studios for a few days where you show people the magic. I don't mind if it's US participants only, I realize getting someone like me over the pond would be expensive so it's alright. I rather you invest in development. But do spare some things for your players. Even if modest things and rewards that cost you nothing to very little. Engaging with the fans is probably the best marketing. Making them feel like they matter. I had no idea the game existed until this year. I saw one Scott Manley video but didn't think too much of it than "oh, cool". Then I saw videos of the 1.0 and thought it was really cool. You can thank Raptor Gaming on YT for getting me interested. You should sponsor the most known streamers and organise giveaways through them. 27 dollars to reach an audience of 500.000 users is nothing. Everybody wins. I want to see this game become a cultural phenomenon. I want to see memes. I want to see NMS compared to it instead of the other way around. I want you guys to succeed. But you also have to believe in yourselves.

Edited by mystikro

I totally agree. If they would just start listening to the community, they could win way more than just a Webby. I also wasn't aware of the game until this year, two months ago I believe. I started out on 1.0.7 and loved the game. I tried signing up with discord to communicate with SES but that was a no-go. It's in the rules that you cannot message staff, moderators, or the developers. If you do, you could be booted or worse. That was a huge let down. I honestly don't know how SES is going to make it with their unwillingness to allow communication from us. I think the only thing that can save them besides starting to listen would your community manager idea. They might need a few at first just so they can keep up with the complaints and bug reports that would come flooding in.

On 5/13/2019 at 8:58 AM, mystikro said:

Yeah, but their price is that of a big development team, so something needs adjusting. Either they increase the team proper to fit the almost AAA price, or they drop the price. You cannot have your soul in heaven and your bottom in hell.

While I just bought the game recently I still feel like they need to stop releasing broken patches or drop the price.

@SES_joe, may I suggest some reasonable things (if you're not doing it already).

Choose a team of free QA testers/players that get early access to builds (daily, or as soon as you have one ready). I think steam can help you with this, they have beta codes and stuff where you can enter that and gain access to it. The community can enroll and log bugs for you guys (JIRA or anything open source). You get free QA, the players feel like they are part of the development. As a reward you can give them some exclusive things, like special suits, maybe a special building or item that only they can use (think about mini RTG for the backpack). And to get it you need to be an active QA member for a period of time and have quality bug reports/testing history. Does that seem fair? You can grant periodic rewards, even discount codes that they can share with friends so that you get to increase the player base. I think that's a good marketing strategy and you would be able to get more people involved in the game. For the most dedicated QA users you can also add them to the game credits. Give them Astroneer printed figurines, Astroneer USB drives, invite them to exclusive live streams or hang outs where you can discuss things and stuff.

And all you need is one QA manager. Someone to supervise the QA process. Someone that is active and interacts with the QA and the forum. You took refuge in the Discord server and don't really care for the users on Steam or on the forum. I think that is a bad approach. Get one community manager to have daily contact with the users so that the forum doesn't feel like an empty echo.

If you are interested in talking more about these things you can contact me via PM. I don't want anything from the Ses team. I just want the game to work, because I like it, willing to discuss about any sensible advice or ideas.

AGREED!

I do not understand what this forum is for. I expect that they simply made it thinking they would use it later but they never do.