Sign in to follow this  
Broken Arrow Forever

Bodies of water and boats?

Could we possibly get boats in Astroneer? I love the idea of traversing lakes or something like that using a boat. Also could it be possible for us to get a dock for the boat? I figure that would be awesome.

I would like to see water and boats added to this game as well. My problems with it though is that the water would absolutely KILL my Xbox, as it would require a lot of power to process and load the water, which my Xbox does not have enough of. With it's current state, Astroneer would crash within seconds and be unplayable at least for Xbox players, but if they added it to PC, it would be laggy AF at least.

Maybe in the future when the lagging and crashing has been dealt with, only then would it be logical for them to add water and even boats. Playing it at this time, I deal with the game mostly crashing just trying to enter my rover. Plus I don't want this game being the cause of the screen of death on Xbox or PC, although it's very much less common on PC.

If they add water to PC only though, that would completely screw with the multiplayer aspect of the game, as the Xbox version and the PC version would be out of sync. To add the water and boats to the game would require SES making a whole completely new system for PC and Xbox where they would have a single player mode and then a multiplayer mode kind of like a cross platform version of GTA 5. where only single player would have water on PC and not Xbox, and there would be no water on multiplayer, and if not everybody can enjoy having a specific item, say water, why add it at all?

Other than that, I like where you are coming from with your idea but maybe in the future after many, many, many updates and patches and after the current crashing and lagging is dealt with, only then would I consider asking them to add water. 😉

Posted (edited)

Water physics is too complex to implement in variable terrain situation, imagine if you drill holes in a lake and let the water flow to the core? Or just calculate all possibile water flows through all possible slopes and holes? Crazy...

Edited by Nekudotaim

19 hours ago, RealLast1 said:

I would like to see water and boats added to this game as well. My problems with it though is that the water would absolutely KILL my Xbox, as it would require a lot of power to process and load the water, which my Xbox does not have enough of. With it's current state, Astroneer would crash within seconds and be unplayable at least for Xbox players, but if they added it to PC, it would be laggy AF at least.

Maybe in the future when the lagging and crashing has been dealt with, only then would it be logical for them to add water and even boats. Playing it at this time, I deal with the game mostly crashing just trying to enter my rover. Plus I don't want this game being the cause of the screen of death on Xbox or PC, although it's very much less common on PC.

If they add water to PC only though, that would completely screw with the multiplayer aspect of the game, as the Xbox version and the PC version would be out of sync. To add the water and boats to the game would require SES making a whole completely new system for PC and Xbox where they would have a single player mode and then a multiplayer mode kind of like a cross platform version of GTA 5. where only single player would have water on PC and not Xbox, and there would be no water on multiplayer, and if not everybody can enjoy having a specific item, say water, why add it at all?

Other than that, I like where you are coming from with your idea but maybe in the future after many, many, many updates and patches and after the current crashing and lagging is dealt with, only then would I consider asking them to add water. 😉

That makes sense. I agree about the lag but often times it just depends on our internet quality. There have been some instances in which I've seen lag and other times I've not. Either way I believe boats could be an awesome addition in the future.