SES_joe

Patch 1.0.15 - April 11, 2019

On 4/12/2019 at 1:25 AM, SES_joe said:

Also if you haven't heard already, Astroneer is nominated for FIVE Webby awards! We could use your vote to bring the awards home, so head over here (VOTE HERE) for more details about what categories and how to vote!

Not getting any votes from me until you fix this pretty much game-breaking multiplayer bug:

My PC edition of this still will not allow me to load and save a new save point on the game i have over 50 hours on..  and my xbox edition still crashes left and right .. i have one long played game that i can't continue at the moment... we need to have an archive / save point we can control and restore to that is some how validated for use or will load save .. something.. 

Any news on fixing the unplayability of Xbox? Cuz most of my friends are waiting to play with me on that but the time being I'm forced to play on PC... I'd much rather play with my friends...

Posted (edited)

PC player here:

As much as I like this game, after having played a number of frustrating hours with my friend last night (he hosted), I finally gave up. He was out activating gateways while I dug to the core. I like to do this 'manually', still, and not with a rover but that's beside the point. The point is that each and every time he took off in his rocket, I was kicked from his game. When I logged back in, I reappeared where I was kicked but most of my inventory was simply gone each and every time. I lost a number of diamond drill mods due to this and generally had to craft my oxy/batteries back from scratch which was just a nuisance. Due to some synch error I was also logged back in in our base camp, only to find out that two modules weren't there anymore but the resources I used to build them were again.

While this was certainly not 'game-breaking' in the late internet jargon that sometimes tends to exaggerate things, it was a bloody pain to repeat this all over.

Next, the 'terrain reappears while mining' bug did its share to slow me down considerably. It was much like the planet wanted to deny me going to the inner mantle. I ran around a number of caves and tried various spots do dig deeper, to no avail. The already cleared chunks of rock simply reappeared in a random fashion, making a straight effort to reach the core next to impossible. I was also nearly killed by spores of mushrooms or plants that I had clearly destroyed before.

With all this terrain bugs going on, the reappearance also caused a number of tethers to be knocked over. But the tether line still showed active to me, which of course didn't help. I nearly suffocated a number of times, because, frankly with two oxy-tanks on I don't look too ofter after its filling status.

There are a number of other things I'd like to point out that makes (my) multiplayer game a desolate experience right now:

• I can't see any gateways or landing sites when flying 'hunchback' in my friend's shuttle
  • I sometimes can't pick up resources he mined
  • Sometimes when he drives off in a large rover, the vehicle is gone but the medium storages remain in mid air looking like a roof
  • I can't use some of the mods he crafted. I simply cannot attach them to my terrain tool or they just don't work (norrow/wide mod e.g.)
  • When boarding ground vehicles my friend just exited I sometimes stand beside the empty vehicle, but I can drive it while my astroneer keeps staying where he is

These are most of the issues I can come up after several extremely frustrating sessions. I don't know what and how you guys fixed for multiplayer experience but it seems to me that you still have a long road to go.

Cheers,

Andrew

Edited by Gaspurr

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Jeffery Spino said:

Any news on fixing the unplayability of Xbox? Cuz most of my friends are waiting to play with me on that but the time being I'm forced to play on PC... I'd much rather play with my friends...

Why not play with your friends on PC? Xbox multiplayer isn't realistically going to work without servers, which are coming fairly soon. 

Edited by Blind Io

22 hours ago, bubbas said:

Not getting any votes from me until you fix this pretty much game-breaking multiplayer bug:

This one has been a thorn in our side since launch, and any speculative fixes we have implemented have seemingly fixed the bug for some but not others. 

Will make sure this continues to be looked at. If there is any information that you can forward related to it happening in 1.0.15 I would love to see it, so far what I have been seeing has been related to internet weather. The client doesn't have a great connection to the host and then the game tries to just guess the last state of the terrain.

SES_joe, what about Xbox??? What about the low frame rate on Xbox STILL? What about the fact the game cannot be completed because it crashes EVERY TIME during the ending animation?

7 hours ago, JimBearUSA said:

SES_joe, what about Xbox??? What about the low frame rate on Xbox STILL? What about the fact the game cannot be completed because it crashes EVERY TIME during the ending animation?

+1

On 4/14/2019 at 8:55 PM, Jaime DC said:

Thanks!

I'm going to do a fresh installation and create a new save game, and I see what happens...

Did this work? I'm having a fps drops all the time!

I think it's a waste of time talking with the creators of the game because they are told that the game does not work on xbox but they do not listen to us.

one month for this crap ? game again run worse that it use to and it was already miserable , and you got the guts to ask us to vote for this as game of the year ? you got to be kidding me ! how long will it take for this game to even work ? this is the worse purchase i ever made and i did purchase superman 64 back in the day so shame on you that i consider that better that your game.

''we tested on xbox '' who do you think you're fooling , this is a slide-show at best and it's been 2 months that the game is officially out ? time to WAKE THE F*** UP

On 4/16/2019 at 10:18 AM, jamman00000 said:

Did this work? I'm having a fps drops all the time!

Yes, it has worked for me. I have created a fresh installation and a new save game to start from 0. Now it works much better (although it's not perfect), but you could play.

It is also true that I still do not have many elements investigated. When my base grows, we'll see what happens ...

First time playing this game was last night and love it. 

It seems there here should be a more reliable auto save system. I lost an hour if digging time with three friends. I was host and as I was making my way back up our awesome path the game chugged and crashed on me causing us to lose a full hour of digging time. We are trying to get to the center!

better auto saving would be a super useful update. Just let us set a timer or put a save option in the menu to pick the auto save interval or just a straight “save now” option.

Better connectivity with other players would be great too. Our game got pretty laggy with 3 of us.

thanks. Keep it up. Can’t wait to play more!

Please fix this:

After modifying terrain when passing over with the tractor, if I park it in modified terrain it sinks into the ground and disappears.

I have already lost 2 tractors and 6 trailers. In addition to losing the oxygen supply, I died and I lost all the items I had in my backpack and in the trailers.

On 4/15/2019 at 8:59 PM, SES_joe said:

This one has been a thorn in our side since launch, and any speculative fixes we have implemented have seemingly fixed the bug for some but not others. 

Will make sure this continues to be looked at. If there is any information that you can forward related to it happening in 1.0.15 I would love to see it, so far what I have been seeing has been related to internet weather. The client doesn't have a great connection to the host and then the game tries to just guess the last state of the terrain.

We still have the very same problem too since release. The cause of the bug is unlikely of a bad internet connection, cause in our case we all play on the same (good enough) connection. I mean I would understand it if the terrain desyncs would not be permanent. When some terrain is modified and the host does not really get it and it pops back once, okay, this can happen due to some laggy connection, but the terrain keeps popping back again and again. So there must be some major glitch somewhere in the netcode. Something which prevents the correct update of terrain data from the client to the host.

Some complex and mysterious bugs can happen. And I have no problem with that. But we really, really want to play astroneer together xD. I would really appreciate the option to fall back to an older (and at least for us) more stable version of the game. I'd love to play Astroneer together with my friends with all the exciting new stuff that came with and after 1.0 release, but it's not a must have. For us it is more important that we can play together with as few bugs as possible or in other words have a playable experience in multiplayer at all. 

So pleeeeeeeease, give us an option for an older version as long as there are such gamebreaking bugs and glitches in the current version.

On 4/13/2019 at 12:38 PM, CopperyMarrow15 said:

I dislike this. Researching is already WAAAY too easy. The rest is awesome!

I keep asking for them to consider making the game changable per game save.  I kind of miss storms, and would love the ability to turn them on or off plus maybe choose how frequent.  Dialing the research would be a great thing to adjust pre-game too.  Most other highly regarded sandbox games do similar things, why not Astroneer?

This version seems more buggy than I've seen in a long time.  The increase of researchables seems more like a decrease, far fewer of them.   On a new game some of the bases are buried never seen that before and not sure if it was intended.  Many of my keyboard changes stopped working on a new game, had to undo them and do them back to get them working.  And the camera loves to jump around for no reason sometimes.  

very buggy still in multiplayer , 3 ppl going to glacia crashed the game at least 8 times, world is so laggy, get about 10 frames a  min on that world, 1 guy couldnt see any bubbles to land and had to kill of his character. just seems like the saves cant handle big multiplayer stuff yet. i keep crossing fingers for dedicated servers. items just go poof, every time we log on medium storages are gone missing,every time i get in a tractor i have to reconnect the trailers again.

I have 1.0.15 on xbox but I cant see a difference what so ever.  It still cashes so badly every couple of mins. Can you just get rid of Save Game for every time you get in one of the rovers or shuttle and just savegame from menu? It is absolutely ridiculous that you can't even play 5 minuets before it crashes. Not only that, what ever work is done you have to do over and over again.  So how was this last update any fix at all?  For any game people need to be able to save progress or its a waste of time and not all enjoyable to keep repeating what you have done because saves won't work. 

What about walking while carrying something?  What is with the ridiculously slow snail speed? it's bad enough that even normal walking is slow enough. I don't think its supposed to be as slow as it is for me even though I know it's supposed to mimic space and low gravity.

Also it would be nice to be able to get into the core (if I manage to with all the crashing) without floating forever back and forth till I finally fall into it.  Is there something that can be done to get in there easier and without being stuck between two gravity forces?

I am playing with a friend since some days, and i can not confirm any better performance.

I hosted on my Xbox one S and my friend joined via Xbox One it worked for quite a while but after 10 hours of playtime it got worse and worse either my system is crashing or the fps is getting to low to play. (all on a new save game btw) Besides that there are still many bugs like backpacks disconnecting from a joined player desync of the formed terrain  most of the time stuff can't be done by joined players or they die just walking over something that was build by the host. 

Then i hosted a game on PC and my buddy joined on his xbox and things just got worse for him while my performance was way better without him in the session. For example i started a new game on PC alone played for about 2 hours with 140-120 fps but as soon my friend joined it dropped down to 80-70.

Most of the time he would die from jumping or walking over things, getting stuck in the planet, getting kicked out of the game, losing stuff from his backpack and getting disconnected while something of this happens.

I got this game as it lunched as an Alpha and to be honest i don't see a huge improvement performance-wise since then not for the multiplayer part. 

I really hope this will be getting better in the future because all the new features won't help if you cant play the game to the end. But i am also exited to test the dedicated servers i hope i can run them on my Server PC without a subscription. 

9 hours ago, Benny said:

But i am also exited to test the dedicated servers i hope i can run them on my Server PC without a subscription. 

Dedicated servers will be 3rd party only at the start as far as we know. What kind of pay structure that will take is currently unknown.

There's strong possibility that personal servers will be made available later, but they haven't 100% committed to that from what I've seen.