Sign in to follow this  
Astrofun

List of Planet ideas

Posted (edited)

I have seen many discussions on new ideas for planets, and have loved lots of them. For this reason I created this thread, and here’s how it will go. I am going to edit this post with all the new planet ideas I can find in old threads. If you think of a new idea/find one that isn’t here, comment it and I’ll add it in. Talking about them (pros/cons, details, etc.) in comments is good.

by https://forum.systemera.net/profile/28277-alpha-destroyer-32768/

Mountainous planet:

A planet predominantly covered in mountains. Gray in color, this planet could have below average gravity (which helps create mountains), and have many natural resources, such as Hematite and Titanite, among others. Using rovers on these planets would be very impractical, as sheer cliffs and many holes would halt transportation to a standstill. Some type of hovercraft could be used instead. This planet will also enjoy high solar and moderate to high wind.

Stormy planet:

A planet covered in a storm, similar to what Calidor used to be, but a bit different. Dust storms or other types of storms (rainstorm, thunderstorm, high wind?) would be present here. This planet would certainly be a challenge, but many of the rarer materials (or perhaps new ones) should be found to make going to this planet worthwhile. Patches of "calm" should also exist, where there are no storms. Solar power would be almost useless, while wind power would be dominant.

Asteroid/Ice belt:

An asteroid belt or ice belt would be an unusual addition to this game. Almost no gravity would exist on the belt, nor will wind. Solar power would be the likely choice for these planets. Using a hovercraft would likely be one of the only ways around on this area. These areas would host a variety of materials, and thus, can be a great spot for mining colonies. Asteroid belts and Ice belts would be very similar, apart from different appearance and maybe materials.

Edited by Astrofun

Plains Plains Plains
Give players the opportunity to fulfill their creative fantasies by having so much flat land that base building, hoarding (like me do) & MP can have all the space needed to be as creative as ones' imagination will take them. Let bases be big, bold, beautiful & without any ugly grey soil. Flat soil for as far as the eye can see, just like @Martin's billfold! 🤓

DAYLIGHT Planet
OMG this game is 1million times better during the day than at night. There is simply no comparison. The best part of this game (currently) is it's beauty. The colors the shades the shadows etc. this game brings people to euphoria during daylight play. Give me a planet with 2 suns! I don't need no stinkin darkness! Night is for suckas! Are you a sucka?

One Super Planet
This is for people that just have a couple of hours a week to play the game or just don't have the opportunity to play for long continous durations of time. They don't have the time to travel from planet to planet gathering all the resources needed to build and do everything. Give them a planet that has each resource, each gas etc. They don't need to travel to enjoy nearly all aspects of the game. Provide a platform for those that love the game but just (currently) don't have the free time it takes to travel and collect and transport etc. and thus they don't purchase or play at all. I say give those people the proper platform. They could be very young or very old as well so maybe a nice easy starter planet like this would help more people than you think? Think about it? Good thinkin!  

Water
Obviously. In all forms. Obviously. However if it is going to cause more lag then DON'T ADD WATER. I have enough lag. I don't want or need more. I'll be very happy to trade FPS for water. Please no water if it is going to contain lag! And if water is going to come with lag then make it a DLC, let everyone know that it will cause lag, before, they can buy it. 

Shapes
To match research pods. If it is a pod then there should be a planet to match! Those pods had to come from somewhere. Round planets have been done to death! They are sooooo boring! Give me some shapes. OMG, if I see just one more round planet................... 

Fluctuating Gravity Planets
Constantly changing. On the surface or in caves the gravity is going to change and change often. So that fall could be your last or one that you thought was going to be your last!

Oxygen Planet
Play tether free! Oooh that smell! Can't you smell that smell? The smell of freedom that surrounds you!

Camelion Planet
This planet has the colors/soil/trees/plants/etc. of every other planet. You can cross from a proxy Atrox to a proxy Novus to a proxy Calidor etc. It would be like a piece of each planet was knocked off by asteroids to form this planet. Or was it the aliens? Maybe this could be my Super Planet? 

An Alien Planet
Ok, give me something here. We have the alien cores, the alien structure & the alien transport....................and why? To do what? To be there because? So is that it? The aliens don't have a planet? End of story? Just one chapter in this alien book? That's it? It ends with what we have now? Aliens don't come from a planet they are just 'here'? 

My ideas: 

a true “dune” planet: not calidoor, but actual sand (it wouldn’t have to flow and stuff, normal terrain in would be fine) no trees/vegetation, just lots of sandy area. Some large mountain ranges would be nice- good views and is more interesting. No huge worms included. 

A gas giant: just to look at, and have moons on. Simple to implement, and opens up some room for “mini-moons”. Small moons (1/4 or less radius of desolo) that are “expendable”. Each one has some ammonium, so hopping between them makes sense if you have a chem station. Just pop to a random one and explore!

an island planet: small islands with normal rock sorrounded by undrillable, vast expanses of... something. I’m not sure what it should be, but whatever it is would be undrillable and barren. Under these islands, however, is a thriving underground system to explore.

This is kind of a meme, but a supersized planet: a planet with normal geographical features to an extreme level. Instead of cave entrances 15 feet tall, they would be 150. With hills like mountains and mountains that touch space, I think this could be some crazy fun. The game already makes some fun places, and this might make them funnier.

Deserts, again: maybe it’s just me but I don’t like calidoor. For some reason it seems to me like calidoor doesn’t feel like a desert and I wanted to say it again. The reason for this is that they just need to make much it brighter. That’s my easiest change idea, just make calidoor brighter

3 minutes ago, Astrofun said:

My ideas: 

a true “dune” planet: not calidoor, but actual sand (it wouldn’t have to flow and stuff, normal terrain in would be fine) no trees/vegetation, just lots of sandy area. Some large mountain ranges would be nice- good views and is more interesting. No huge worms included. 

A gas giant: just to look at, and have moons on. Simple to implement, and opens up some room for “mini-moons”. Small moons (1/4 or less radius of desolo) that are “expendable”. Each one has some ammonium, so hopping between them makes sense if you have a chem station. Just pop to a random one and explore!

an island planet: small islands with normal rock sorrounded by undrillable, vast expanses of... something. I’m not sure what it should be, but whatever it is would be undrillable and barren. Under these islands, however, is a thriving underground system to explore.

This is kind of a meme, but a supersized planet: a planet with normal geographical features to an extreme level. Instead of cave entrances 15 feet tall, they would be 150. With hills like mountains and mountains that touch space, I think this could be some crazy fun. The game already makes some fun places, and this might make them funnier.

Deserts, again: maybe it’s just me but I don’t like calidoor. For some reason it seems to me like calidoor doesn’t feel like a desert and I wanted to say it again. The reason for this is that they just need to make much it brighter. That’s my easiest change idea, just make calidoor brighter

+1

Posted (edited)
On 4/9/2019 at 3:25 PM, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

Plains Plains Plains
Give players the opportunity to fulfill their creative fantasies by having so much flat land that base building, hoarding (like me do) & MP can have all the space needed to be as creative as ones' imagination will take them. Let bases be big, bold, beautiful & without any ugly grey soil. Flat soil for as far as the eye can see, just like @Martin's billfold! 🤓

DAYLIGHT Planet
OMG this game is 1million times better during the day than at night. There is simply no comparison. The best part of this game (currently) is it's beauty. The colors the shades the shadows etc. this game brings people to euphoria during daylight play. Give me a planet with 2 suns! I don't need no stinkin darkness! Night is for suckas! Are you a sucka?

One Super Planet
This is for people that just have a couple of hours a week to play the game or just don't have the opportunity to play for long continous durations of time. They don't have the time to travel from planet to planet gathering all the resources needed to build and do everything. Give them a planet that has each resource, each gas etc. They don't need to travel to enjoy nearly all aspects of the game. Provide a platform for those that love the game but just (currently) don't have the free time it takes to travel and collect and transport etc. and thus they don't purchase or play at all. I say give those people the proper platform. They could be very young or very old as well so maybe a nice easy starter planet like this would help more people than you think? Think about it? Good thinkin!  

Water
Obviously. In all forms. Obviously. However if it is going to cause more lag then DON'T ADD WATER. I have enough lag. I don't want or need more. I'll be very happy to trade FPS for water. Please no water if it is going to contain lag! And if water is going to come with lag then make it a DLC, let everyone know that it will cause lag, before, they can buy it. 

Shapes
To match research pods. If it is a pod then there should be a planet to match! Those pods had to come from somewhere. Round planets have been done to death! They are sooooo boring! Give me some shapes. OMG, if I see just one more round planet................... 

Fluctuating Gravity Planets
Constantly changing. On the surface or in caves the gravity is going to change and change often. So that fall could be your last or one that you thought was going to be your last!

Oxygen Planet
Play tether free! Oooh that smell! Can't you smell that smell? The smell of freedom that surrounds you!

Camelion Planet
This planet has the colors/soil/trees/plants/etc. of every other planet. You can cross from a proxy Atrox to a proxy Novus to a proxy Calidor etc. It would be like a piece of each planet was knocked off by asteroids to form this planet. Or was it the aliens? Maybe this could be my Super Planet? 

An Alien Planet
Ok, give me something here. We have the alien cores, the alien structure & the alien transport....................and why? To do what? To be there because? So is that it? The aliens don't have a planet? End of story? Just one chapter in this alien book? That's it? It ends with what we have now? Aliens don't come from a planet they are just 'here'? 

These are some pretty nice ideas, I especially like the plains planets. The two things that I will say though is that maybe non-spherical planets should have some backstory (gravity usually makes objects spherical, but these aliens can bend gravity). The other thing is that the super planet would sort of make the game less enjoyable, even for busy people. It would take away a lot of the fun of construction, and also planetary activation. These are just my opinions however.

Also thank you for linking my profile.

Edited by Alpha Destroyer 32768
accidentally said original ideas instead of profile

10 hours ago, Alpha Destroyer 32768 said:

The other thing is that the super planet would sort of make the game less enjoyable, even for busy people. It would take away a lot of the fun of construction, and also planetary activation. These are just my opinions however.

Well to be honest I stole this idea. It was posted a year ago or so by someone that has very little time. He has a wife, kids, job, house, obligations however he loves to play. He just can't put the time into playing, especially in one sitting, to unlock and enjoy all that the game has to offer. This would prevent people like him from buying the game as the time commitment to unlock and do everything is just out of their reach again, due to life things.
So when he posted this there was maybe a dozen other people who posted in agreement. 
So I like you was in the camp of "too bad, this game isn't for you then if you don't have the time" However as I started looking into it, it does make sense. It would almost be like a sandbox version of the game. You may not get all the enjoyment that space travel provides however a player would be able to purchase the game, play the game, unlock nearly everything etc. So call it Astroneer lite if you will, but there are a lot of people out there that game, but just don't have the time to sit for multiple session for multiple hours yet could be a revenue stream for SES.

Anyway it is just my opinion and you know what I say...........Opinions are like butt holes in that everybody has one!

How about a planet that interacts with each Astroneer. 

This planet would interact with the Astroneer by: bubbles (like on Atrox), Shroom Dust (like on I forgot the planet at the moment) and other types of particles/things floating in the atmosphere. They only appear when your Astroneer is there.
So there would be this type of illuminated light particle field that would more or less follow you around, and can also be seen from distance by other players. With each player added to MP, the colors, particles could change.

-OR-

When playing MP: the fairy dust or bubbles or whatever's rise up from your Astroneer's helmet so that other astroneers can see where you are. Maybe a beam of light particles (not a flashlight) rises up above an Astroneers head. Maybe the color of light particles matches the suits? Can be seen from a distance so finding others is easier. 

What happens when an Astroneer stands next to a plant for a short period of time? The plant grows/multiplies. The heat from the Astroneer produces rapid growth
What happens when a tree falls on an Astroneer? Respawn

What happens when 8 Astroneers are together? The gravity fluxuates frequently.
Every step an Astroneer takes; plants will never grow! Footsteps kills life on this planet!

What other types of interactions can you think of?