Sign in to follow this  
Boulder

Can't load save but can load it using a workaround

i5-3210M@2.5ghz, 6gb ram, GT630M-2gb, and HDD.

My game never crashes while playing but will freeze up pc when loading a save that has more than maybe about 10hrs of play. Can't alt tab or do anything at this point, cursor is frozen, caps lock takes 10+ secs to respond to each press. Have to force power off at this point. 

But the workaround I use can successfully load this unloadable save and it's as follows:

Make backups of your save maybe every hour of play. Need to start doing this before the first failure to load. When the save eventually fails to load, let's say you have 10 backups by now. Load backup1 (earliest/oldest) followed by maybe 3, 6,8,10 then latest save. The idea is to progressively load bigger saves of the same game. This will successfully load the latest save for me which would normally have crashed my pc. Hope this helps fix this bug.

21 minutes ago, KOR_APUcard said:

Same here. My save files completely corrupted! Did you have renamed save file? It work? I'm not work anymore this method.

The workaround I described will load a save that would have crashed normally, so I don't think it's a corrupted save. Probably more like something to do with the way the game loads the saves.

Have you ever had others join a version of this save in multiplayer? Also, would you be willing to upload your oldest save and then your latest save that won't load on its own?

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Xech said:

Have you ever had others join a version of this save in multiplayer? Also, would you be willing to upload your oldest save and then your latest save that won't load on its own?

No,I haven't tried multiplayer yet. And sure, here's my saves.

Also most recently, my workaround no longer works on my longest game. I guess there's a limit to that method. I deleted that save that will not load even with the workaround (save033) but I included save032 which I still have.

001_EARLIEST_BACKUP$2019.03.21-23.25.53.savegame

032_LATEST_BACKUP$2019.04.01-15.26.24.savegame

020_FIRST_BACKUP_TO_CRASH_ON_LOAD$2019.04.01-15.17.23.savegame

019_STILL_LOADS_FINE$2019.04.01-15.15.51.savegame

Every time I do the workaround load sequence, the game automatically updates the date/time at the end of the file name, so some of those date/times may not be the original backup date/times.

Edited by Boulder

Thanks! I'll look at those saves. Do you know what build of Windows 10 you're on? Command winver, or right click start and click System to snag that.

Aside from sound or memory oddities in 1.0.13, I'm curious if crashing and save "corruption" is related to zlib compression with some versions of Windows and/or the Visual C++ Redistributable. Those saves will help my curiosity and I'll add the broken ones to my graveyard.