Sign in to follow this  
Plawerth

Noob: Why is Atrox described as being very hard?

I just arrived on Atrox with the tier 2 rocket, brought along a soil processor, medium platform B, a medium wind turbine, medium solar panel, oxygenator, a mini battery, small generator, and a spare solid rocket. 

After playing a few hours.... I find that I'm not having much trouble at all getting the factory core going. I have no clue what the game's planet description means by no resources. That's why I brought the soil processor, so I could get tethers for exploring.

But there is plenty of natural resin, composite material, and organics, and lots of scrap. I've had to process far less soil than I was expecting, if there really was absolutely nothing on the planet but dirt.

Continuous power is of course a problem with just a small battery, but readily solved with the organics all over the place, plus soil processing for organics.

It would seem that a lack of mineral resources makes exploring the planet's caves pretty much unnecessary, except to find scrap and the research pyramids. I will likely tunnel down a ramp down to the core anyway, just to look around..

The so-called "dangerous" flora can be dug out, with me out of range of it actively attacking. That's not dangerous. Yawn. Dangerous would be a critter that can kill you if it can see you from 4 times the drill reach distance, and the only way to safely deal with it would be to stealthily tunnel underneath and attack it from below. And even then, it should have targeting stingers on the roots, or leave behind a bomb pod that masquerades as a resource..

My guess is by no resources, they mean unique or rare resources only found there. Also, the long day/night cycle and low wind makes power generation more difficult or less reliable. Finally, the terrain can be extremely difficult to traverse. It sounds as though you thought ahead and brought what you needed, which is smart. If you had arrived with nothing prepared, it would have been "difficult" to produce the items you needed. Enjoy the game!

On 3/28/2019 at 5:37 AM, JimBearUSA said:

My guess is by no resources, they mean unique or rare resources only found there.

That's exactly what they mean! "None" was listed under primary and secondary resources, which are unique to the planet (e.g. sphalerite and malachite on Sylva, titanite and hematite on Glacio).

Atrox is not so much a mining planet as it is a gas-collecting planet. However, the materials necessary to escape a planet (i.e. make all printers, smelter, small shuttle, and solid fuel thruster, as well as a drill mod to get into harder rock) can be found on all planets.

From what I can tell the "difficulty" is based off either what hostile flora spawns there or how drastically large the power requirements for gateways are.

Posted (edited)

Yeah me too, I was scared shitless before taking my first ride to harvest helium , didn't know what to expect from this "very hard" planet. I studied in the detail what to bring, etc

Well, in the end I went there, did my things, came back at home base without problems.

I hope they'll implement more robust and consiste health management, maybe food, dangerous moving life forms, corrosive atmosphere, storms, extreme cold and heat, etc, things that may kill you unless you equip yourself with adeguate protections. I know this would be rather complex to merge into the existing project tho.

Edited by Nekudotaim

I can only echo what others have said from experience:

• Power less consistent (especially wind)
  • Fewer resources on the surface
  • More power required for gateways
  • Hard rock is more common
  • More difficult landscape
  • More dangerous flora

I've only been there for Helium and a sport of exploring.

It's worth remember that the aim of the game design is that, even at its most difficult, the game isn't very hard. It's not that sort of game and that's great because there are times when I don't want too much challenge, I want just enough to relax, explore and enjoy.

It's described as very hard because you need drill mod 2 or 3 to even go below the surface lmao