RealLast1

Ideas for new additions to Astroneer

I absolutely love Astroneer, overall amazing game, though it would be nice to have a few things added to the game. One thing I would like to see added to the game is a docking station in space, kind of like the real life I.S.S. where you can dock and refuel your space ship as well as being able to be used for other things like a research station that can possibly be used to gather bytes and/or rarer and or composite resources from asteroids but at a slower rate i.e. diamonds, lithium, graphene, hydrazine, titanium. this should be able to be unlocked after gaining 10,000 bytes or so that way it isn't too easy to gain access to. I would also like to see a system where you can send out automated rovers and such that will mine a specified material for you and bring it to a certain location where it can be dropped off, that way you can gain access to materials that are found on different planets. I absolutely love the planet Sylva, but it is practically impossible to find wolframite and hematite on the planet, this will keep me happy as I wouldn't have to go to Desolo or another planet which I do not enjoy as much as Sylva. The automated rovers can drop off the materials to an automated shuttle that will bring it the space docking station. The space station will store up to about 20 minimum of each material with the more common ones having more space to be stored. You could then "order" some materials to be taken from your space stash and then dropped to the planet you are wanting it to be delivered to. This should be separately unlocked with bytes, so the automated rovers are one thing to research the automated space ship is another, the docking station in space should be another. The landing pad should have another variant for this reason only as well or you could have the same type of system used for the starting setup drop where you press a button after selecting what and how much of a certain material you want and then it'll drop as like a supply drop. The rovers and shuttle should only collect around 3 or 4 materials an hour and should have a specified life until another has to be made again in which you will get a warning on a new screen on your shelter of which ones are active and what ones are not as well as what they are collecting. The atmospheric condenser should also be able to be used on different planets and should have optional automation (i.g. an automated arm that will start the machine as well as transporting the resource canisters) as well that allows the gases to be transported up to the station after a certain amount is present on the shuttle. I feel that the player will be more likely to travel to other planets and (if the idea is accepted and put into action) set up a supply station in space that will enhance their Astroneer experience. The station should be expandable so more sections can be added to increase the amount of resources and space for research available. The parts shouldn't be cheap and easy to get though, the space station should be something like 1 silicone, 1 steel, 1 titanium, 1 lithium, and 2 nanocarbon alloy per capsule. Along with that the automated rover should be like 1 steel, 1 rubber, and 1 titanium for just the base and then it would need a drill and storage along with a tank for soil. The automated shuttle that brings the materials to the station should be something like 1 lithium, 1 diamond, and 3 tungsten carbide. the automated arm for the atmospheric condenser should be something like 1 quartz, 1 graphite, and 2 plastic, this one should be a little less difficult rather than the rest to get as this will be more for something like automation but it will only serve 1 purpose and that is to transfer the gasses to either an automated shuttle or automated rover that will then transfer the gasses to the automated shuttle. I believe that these would be of great use to all of those astroneers out there to help aid in their pursuit of a great time instead of having to travel to a planet that is out of their way just to collect a few resources and then return to their home base. Also, the materials will be their ore forms when they are dropped into the planet that the astroneer requested, I am not sure of all of the ore names so if you have any questions I would be glad to answer as soon as I can. I have been thinking of this for a while, I am sorry if this is long or not that great of an idea, I would just love to see this in astroneer, as I am sure many people would. Thank you and keep exploring.👨‍🚀

Please post this again with some kind of structure... Wall of text style is a bit hard to read ;)

13 hours ago, Igoooor said:

Please post this again with some kind of structure... Wall of text style is a bit hard to read ;)

Sure I'll repost this, sorry this was my first post on the forums. 

My first idea was having something kind of like the I.S.S (international space station) added to the game so then players can dock and refuel their ships if they are planning on hopping between planets without returning to base to refuel, but instead it would be called a docking station. The basic idea is this:

• The docking station (D.S.) would allow players to stop at the station and refuel without having to return "home" therefore allowing more planet hopping to take place.
  • The D.S. would also serve other purposes and that is storage of resources (mainly between planets) as well as another place for research to take place.

The D.S. would be a later game item basic idea is:

• cost: 10,000 bytes
  • recipe:1 titanium alloy, 1 steel , 1 lithium, and 1 Nanocarbon alloy 
  • Specialties: expandable with more pieces that you print (allowing more storage) and allows shipping between planets.
  • Requirements: Large printer, chemistry station, atmospheric condenser, space ship, fuel (either hydrazine or solid fuel thruster)
  • It would be in a large box kind of like the large rover and would attach to the space ship, when you enter space, you'd have the choice to deploy the ship close to a planet.

My other idea was to have automated rovers that would mine materials at a "slow" rate for a certain amount of time until you have to build another. By a slow rate I mean probably 1-5 materials an hour depending on what it is sent out to mine for, the more common ones being more per hour. The rovers would then unload the materials onto an automatic Space ship kind of like the trading post in which up to two medium storage platforms can be attached allowing up to 16 materials to be brought up to the D.S. for storage.  In space, each material should have a storage place of it's own on the ship, after researching the plans for the "containers" to store them in.

basic idea of the automated rovers: 

• Cost: 7,000 bytes
  • Recipe: 1 Titanium alloy, 1 Aluminum alloy,  and 1 Steel (for just the base)
  • Specialties:  collects resources (and soil) for the player even when on another planet, auto loads materials onto an automated ship to be transported to the D.S.
  • Requirements: Medium printer, chemistry station, atmospheric condenser, Medium drill, Medium storage.
  • It would be in a medium box, and can be programmed to mine a specified material.
  • There would be a new "screen" on your shelter telling you which ones are active and not, what they are mining, and time remaining before a new one needs to be made
  • You could also active and deactivate them remotely, once deactivated, the count down until "destruction" will pause until reactivated
  • Work life should be around 4-6 hours real time ( use them wisely or have more materials available )
  • After they are no longer working, they will turn into scrap that you can shred in a big shredder for 1.75 scraps
  • any materials it collected and the drill will survive and a beacon will show where it broke down, the beacon can show through everything (terrain, clouds, etc).

Basic idea of the automated space ship:

• Cost: 4,000 bytes 
  • Recipe: 2 Titanium alloy, 1 Lithium, and 1 aluminum
  • Specialties: none really, except it can store 2 medium storage platforms or a 4 slot item that will be loaded with materials automatically most likely by a robotic arm
  • Requirements: large printer, chemistry station, and atmospheric condenser (maybe hydrazine thruster or it can be like the trading post)
  • after it's full it will automatically take off and unload it's cargo at the D.S. then return back to your base, on a predetermined launch pad.

Basic idea of the (potential) robotic arm:

• Cost: 1,500 bytes 
  • Recipe: 1 Copper, and 1 compound 
  • Specialties: 2 slot item, moves items to an empty slot on your base, and will try to group similar items together. 
  • Requirements: none (except a platform it can fit on) 
  • It will free up different slots on different machines so that your base keeps running (as long as you have enough power) 

An example of how the robotic arm would be used is if you wanted to continue to get Helium for example, even when you are on Sylva or Desolo, you can still gain it without having to travel all the way to Atrox, probably never finding your base because of the cloud cover, forgeting why you went there, and then travel all the way back to where you needed it and having probably having a maximum of 5 waiting for you back on Atrox, even though you didn't land. I personally find this a pain when this happens and having something like this in the game will greatly reduce the possibility of something like this occurring. My final idea though was to have a way to gain mostly composite and rarer materials without hunting or making them, but obviously not making it too easy to gain (access to) them.

The idea was to have the D.S. have a way of grabbing onto asteroids and other small celestial bodies (which can be added in game sometime before or after these, possibly). The asteroids and small celestial bodies would then be drilled into at a rate of 2 bodies or less per one and a half hours, but can be sped up by adding more power to the station and upgrading the drill strength. They would yield usually Hematite/iron, steel, titanium, lithium, graphite, graphene, hydrazine, ammonium, and possibly even astronium, if it still exists (I haven't encountered any yet and I am just basing this suggestion of ideas off of my experiences). Lithium, Hydrazine, graphene, steel, and possibly astronium should be hard to find but not too hard for Hydrazine, graphene, and steel. The drill should just be the ones that you can make already, the bigger ones of course or be able to use two smaller ones for 3/4 the power of the bigger one. 

Also if the asteroids/ small celestial bodies get added to the game before this (possible) addition, they should be able to crash into any planet at anytime, at least a small distance from the player's major bases (bases with a shelter or 10 or more platforms). They should be able to be researched for 1,000 or so bytes or broke open to reveal a material that was mentioned already or possibly a raw material like laterite, wolframite, graphite, etc.

Anyway, hope this helps the confusion a little bit @Igoooor, like I said, I am new at this forums stuff and found that people like more of this kind of format better, also I'm sorry that it took this long to respond, I am currently in high school and wrote this during my spring break and haven't had time since then to get on the forums. Anyway thank you and stay cool

Much better :D

I really like idea to build a space station in the orbit of every planet, saving fuel and not having to land on the surface. Also the possibility of having an orbital storage with automated transports from the planets surface sounds great.

The only problem is, that the game itself lacks the necessary level of automation to make use of such things :/ (And of course there are no asteroids to mine)...

Your idea of the robotic arm has potential, but still lacks a lot of conceptual details on how it would actually work.

I also posted some automation concepts for moving and storing items some time ago, but the devs stated (also longer time ago) that such things like automation don't have any priority :( (but are not rejected in general)