I suggested this because I love the progress being made with the Drill. Yet, Canisters fill on a rover with a Drill extremely fast so I decided to suggest a Medium Canister. It is a 2 slot version of the Canister (which would be renamed to Small Canister) that has a capacity of 20 regualar Canisters and only works on a rover with a drill.

Medium Canister:

Capacity: 20 Small Canisters

Research Cost: 500 Bytes (open for change)

Recipe: 1 Plastic, 1 Ceramic (open for change but I want the player to need the Chemistry Lab before they can make this)

Size: Medium

You would need, obviously, a way to extract materials from soil collected in these canisters or they would be useless. For this, there should be a module that dispenses this soil into Small Canisters. I might make a 3D model for this later.

Research Cost: 800 Bytes (open for change)

Recipe: 1 Iron, 1 Aluminum, 1 Copper

Size: Large

Please let me know what you think.

I think the canister itself should have a small slot canister attachment which works like the soil centrifuge slot but reversed (pulling empty canisters and filling them).

As for storage space you should consider that an medium 8 pack costs 10 resin and the medium variant is kind of cheaper... So I think 10 capacitywould be better.

Love the idea, but rather than a different size canister I would propose a 2nd tier canister made from Resin & Plastic which can hold 20x the volume and in doing so achieving your goal of more capacity without altering current use and ability functions i.e. terrain tool functions, creativity, experimentation etc. 

On 3/19/2019 at 5:57 AM, Igoooor said:

I think the canister itself should have a small slot canister attachment which works like the soil centrifuge slot but reversed (pulling empty canisters and filling them).

I did not think of this. The only problem with this is that some people might exploit it. The slots would need to be only for canisters. This is a great idea.

On 3/19/2019 at 5:57 AM, Igoooor said:

As for storage space you should consider that an medium 8 pack costs 10 resin and the medium variant is kind of cheaper... So I think 10 capacitywould be better.

If it did have a capacity of 10, I would find no point in using it. It would simply be a waste of time making it. I am thinking of changing the recipe so that it would be worth 20.

1 Aluminum Alloy, 1 Graphite

On 3/19/2019 at 6:15 AM, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

Love the idea, but rather than a different size canister I would propose a 2nd tier canister made from Resin & Plastic which can hold 20x the volume and in doing so achieving your goal of more capacity without altering current use and ability functions i.e. terrain tool functions, creativity, experimentation etc. 

Could you explain this differently? I do not exactly understand what you are trying to say.

I'm thinking of two canisters. The one we have today. And the one for the future that can hold more PSI than the canister we have today. So the second tier canister can have more soil placed inside of it. So rather than us making two different size canisters, we would make just one size canister however the second tier canister would enable us to hold the exact amount of soil you want your new larger canister to hold. 

In doing so, an astroneer could carry a second tier canister which would be FANTASTIC for those of us who can't wait for creative mode! 
I love your idea I just would not want to segregate it to vehicle use only. 

14 hours ago, CopperyMarrow15 said:

If it did have a capacity of 10, I would find no point in using it. It would simply be a waste of time making it. I am thinking of changing the recipe so that it would be worth 20. 

Well, if it was made of 2x plastic instead of aluminium alloy the winning factor would be the price with a capacity of 10+1.

There should be a button on the canister which switches between charging and discharging mode.

As for most things that exist in game, having 8 small ones is at least double the output than having one medium...

On 3/21/2019 at 4:32 PM, Igoooor said:

There should be a button on the canister which switches between charging and discharging mode.

Small canister goes on the back like putting Organic on a Small Generator; this dumps the small canister into the medium one (if space is available).  "Use" the medium canister (hold Y) to have it fill the attached (empty) small canister.  I'm picturing a mostly-reused Medium Battery model.

The only thing I can't figure out is how to interact between the Medium Canister and a Soil Centrifuge.  I don't think it makes sense for the soil to just magically "go into" the device but you also wouldn't want to have to manually extract a small canister at a time -- that would defeat the point, and you'd be better off with a Medium Storage full of Small Canisters on the same base.  Maybe the Centrifuge would just need to have a 2-slot attachment point for the soil intake instead?

Edited by Thw0rted

4 hours ago, Thw0rted said:

Small canister goes on the back like putting Organic on a Small Generator; this dumps the small canister into the medium one (if space is available).  "Use" the medium canister (hold Y) to have it fill the attached (empty) small canister.  I'm picturing a mostly-reused Medium Battery model.

The only thing I can't figure out is how to interact between the Medium Canister and a Soil Centrifuge.  I don't think it makes sense for the soil to just magically "go into" the device but you also wouldn't want to have to manually extract a small canister at a time -- that would defeat the point, and you'd be better off with a Medium Storage full of Small Canisters on the same base.  Maybe the Centrifuge would just need to have a 2-slot attachment point for the soil intake instead?

I was picturing multiple slots on the Medium Canister that feed into the Small Canister such as those on the Hydrazine Thruster and Drill. In case you do not understand, I will attach screenshots.

1948896401_AstroneerDrillScreenshot1.png.57f5ec179ca8febbcad60841caac4bce.png549464061_AstroneerHydrazineThrusterScreenshot1.png.6c1b5722747269588bc93982be5c47e5.png

On 3/27/2019 at 1:38 PM, Thw0rted said:

Well, if there was a switch to set the medium canister to "discharge" you could put it on a medium slot next to the soil centrifuge and just add one small canister. If its empty the medium canister will "pull" it to fill it, when the filling is done the centrifuge will "pull" it to empty it.

The small canister would automatically transfer all the soil.

I think this is a great idea, something I actually addressed in a previous suggestion a while before 1.0 release. Compare this to the capacity difference between a small and medium battery, eight small batteries has half the capacitance as one medium. It would make sense if a medium canister would have the capacity of 16 small canisters, respectively. As for the crafting materials, I think a reasonable recipe should be: one glass, one ceramic.

On 3/29/2019 at 9:02 PM, DarkPhosphorus said:

I think this is a great idea, something I actually addressed in a previous suggestion a while before 1.0 release. Compare this to the capacity difference between a small and medium battery, eight small batteries has half the capacitance as one medium. It would make sense if a medium canister would have the capacity of 16 small canisters, respectively. As for the crafting materials, I think a reasonable recipe should be: one glass, one ceramic.

completely agreed