Fordweed

All of my save files suddenly stop working after a while.

This has been happening from 1.0 to 1.0.13 (latest version). Every single save I've created has been destroyed for seemingly random reasons. I'm doing something, and suddenly my computer freezes, and the game crashes upon trying to reload my savegame. The second time this happened (don't remember details from first time) I was in a cave exploring when suddenly the game got a little laggy, and then froze. Today was the third time. I was on Glacio and I had gotten some titanite, got in my small shuttle and went for Sylva to rejoin my friends (I was hosting.) The second I click on Sylva, the game freezes with my computer. Next thing I know the game crashes upon loading my solar system. I'm tired of losing my 16+ hour savegames.

Intel Core i5 2nd generation

NVidia Geforce GTX 1060

An OEM not-for-resale hard drive from my last computer that wasn't custom built

HyperX 4gb ram (1 stick, theres another identical stick that I installed wrong that I'm too lazy to fix)

Any help would be appreciated.

Same exact thing has been happening to me for over a week!

I get on, play for a bit, and even though it tells me it's saving my game when I jump into a vehicle (ANY vehicle or shuttle), the game doesn't ACTUALLY register the saved data. I know this because a few seconds after I jump in a vehicle, I click to the menu that shows the time stamp...and it doesnt update. T only shows the old time stamp. I've also noticed the crashes, exactly as you've described how they've been occurring with yours.

Unfortunately, I havent been able to figure out a way around it. I have to completely log off and sign back in. BUT, this doesn't really fix the problem, since after playing only a few minutes into the newly continued game, it will it refuse to actually save my game again. I've tried different vehicles, gateway engines to other vehicles, and even the "Save and Quit" options...but nothing FIXES it.

I dont really want to play anymore if all these hours of work (which is what it has added up to) are going to be wasted when the game cant save the progress. Hell, I cant even progress towards any further unlocking of gateways due to this being such a constant issue.

This sucks, and trust me, I feel your frustrations.

You have way too little RAM. Every time you do something in game that requires more RAM than you have it seems to be causing it to crash and fail to save. I recommend you try to get some more, but otherwise you can edit the game files to try to free some up. 

According to KVG: 

"Try to move video files from the folder. Move it somewhere so that later you can restore everything back if it does not help.
... \ steamapps \ common \ ASTRONEER Early Access \ Astro \ Content \ Movies
All files except - AnomolyMovie, astroneer_loadingscreen, ComputerScreenMovie, GateUnlockMovie.
These files are high quality video screensavers that take up space in the RAM and prevent the saves from loading.
This method may not always work, but it's worth it."

On 3/16/2019 at 3:04 PM, LordofQuasars said:

You have way too little RAM

I have 8gb of RAM installed. And this problem never occurred during previous versions of the game.

I'm also not using the Steam version. Using the XBOX live version.

Edited by Scottlin