Sign in to follow this  
masterfulmadman

Not an Item, Not a Feature, but Development Idea

I will preface by saying, I don't know how other games do it specifically, I don't work in the industry, I just like games and know that sometimes, this happens.

If the dev team were to release some kind of development tool or framework (eg, Bethesda's Creation Kit) and let modders create some of the great ideas in this thread, I believe that it could speed the progress of game development. Minecraft horses were a mod before they were added, and they were added because of the mod. Imagine the hovercraft idea that we've all seen being developed by a modder instead, then when System Era is ready to implement, they talk to the mod author, get/buy permission to use those assets or hire the author to help implement them, then bam. Players have the new thing they wanted, it got done quickly because it was mostly done before they even started to put it in, and a modder gets their name in the credits for the assets, potentially springing them into a new career of game development.

I know it sounds very, very naive and hopeful. Almost too optimistic. But I believe it can work. I believe it can shorten development cycles and improve the game for everyone involved.

People have skills. Those people are resources that we both grow from and can cause to grow. Use the resources available in your community, and elevate your community in the process.

The two examples you picked are often cited, but it's difficult to compare Astroneer to either. The SES is 20 people using Unreal - Bethesda is over 400, and they use their own engine. Minecraft was written using simple programming language rather than an engine, making it easily accessible without the need for much additional help. 

Summary of why mod support was dropped attached from the roadmap, from reddit. Simply, supporting proper modding Unreal Engine is a bitch.

SmartSelect_20190315-090600_Chrome.jpg