Have you considered adding an auto-save feature? I just played a new game for two hours before the program locked up, and I had to 'End Task'. When I started back up, there was zero evidence of the game I'd been playing for the last two hours. I'm surprised an auto-save feature wasn't added before the game went 1.0.

It automatically saves when you get in a chair or habitat. What would be the auto-save prompt that you would expect? Is a timed feature what you want? 

There have been issues including crashing around saving. It's best it be kept in controlled situations for the time being. Imagine the endless bug reports for people not paying attention - 'my game crashed out of nowhere!' 

1 hour ago, Blind Io said:

It automatically saves when you get in a chair or habitat. What would be the auto-save prompt that you would expect? Is a timed feature what you want? 

There have been issues including crashing around saving. It's best it be kept in controlled situations for the time being. Imagine the endless bug reports for people not paying attention - 'my game crashed out of nowhere!' 

I see your point. After a year of development, the programmers of this game are still struggling to implement the most basic features of the game. If they can't figure out how to keep players and items from falling through the world, I'm not sure why I thought they might, out of the blue, figure out basic file I/O operations needed to correctly implement basic save functionality--much less attempt the apparently much more complicated auto-save functionality.

So much promise... and so much fail. 

Saving takes a few seconds, at least for me. I'm not gonna comment on whether that is reasonable or something they should improve because I'm not a game developer. But it's not something you want happening randomly when you're exploring. Just remember to enter a shelter or vehicle every once in a while. And if you screw something up and want to undo it, just Alt+F4 and reload the game - that's the nice thing about how saving works in this game. I had to do this a few times back in the old days with the original habitat, since it was so easy to accidentally click the button above it to permanently plant it in the ground (holding the interact key to activate things is a good change).