werlpolf

Extra large land rover, hover crafts, usability, ...

Hello togehter,

first of all. This game is awesome - I love it 😄

I have some suggestions and liked a lot of the one already there. Some of them I posted comments. But some unread things I have in mind:

Reduce auto saves, when entering vehicles, due in late games higher save times. Or at least provide an option for that like "Do not create a save, when the last one was  5-10-30 minutes before"

A 3D print menu (cube). The 3rd dimension separates Stations, Vehicles and Energy / Supply things for better overview

With SHIFT + Mouse Wheel an item from inventory will be hold to the mouse pointer. The mouse wheel exchanges the item with the next from the backpack. This prevents always for opening the backpack. When left clicking on empty slot or dropping that item while holding SHIFT, the next item from the backpack will be pulled out.

Offer Planets with wider flat areas. Not everywhere on the planet extreme rough terrains should exist. Same in caves and also some higher biomes could be more vehicle friendly.

Extra large land rover like the one presented once in a video 🙂 This will make it possible to have more slots than needed

Liquids (oil, water, ....). Think you plant that already maybe.

Space Station, where you can dock in, build solar panels, ...

Transport Space Craft, which uses extra more fuel, but have a lot of more slots

Hovercraft like mentioned in following thread, but pumped with air and driving by wind + propeller

Balloon pumped with air 🙂 and moved with a propeller

Nuclear power plants and materials

A space craft with Ufo-like-technology, which needs water (and energy) for charging.

Construct Portals light / crystal like technologies

+1 to almost all of these ideas

especially the following:

4 hours ago, werlpolf said:

Offer Planets with wider flat areas. Not everywhere on the planet extreme rough terrains should exist. Same in caves and also some higher biomes could be more vehicle friendly.

Space Station, where you can dock in, build solar panels

Extra large land rover like the one presented once in a video 🙂 This will make it possible to have more slots than needed

On 3/12/2019 at 4:25 PM, werlpolf said:

A 3D print menu (cube). The 3rd dimension separates Stations, Vehicles and Energy / Supply things for better overview

Honestly, I don't really understand what you mean by this, but other than that, I like the ideas presented. lol

On 3/12/2019 at 4:25 PM, werlpolf said:

With SHIFT + Mouse Wheel an item from inventory will be hold to the mouse pointer. The mouse wheel exchanges the item with the next from the backpack. This prevents always for opening the backpack. When left clicking on empty slot or dropping that item while holding SHIFT, the next item from the backpack will be pulled out.

This one especially caught my eye because it is a control feature that sounds really good, rather than a new item, and that means it is far more likely to be plausible in the game. I love it.

They were exploring ideas of a extra large/huge sized rover a while back, but I would strongly argue that hovercraft technology doesn't belong in this game. Space stations, absolutely, but that's somewhat out of scope for the current game. If there ever is such a thing as an expansion that adds orbital and zero-g gameplay, absolutely.

19 hours ago, masterfulmadman said:
On 3/13/2019 at 12:25 AM, werlpolf said:

Honestly, I don't really understand what you mean by this, but other than that, I like the ideas presented. lol 

Thank you! I mean, when more and more printable items will come along, it will be more difficult to find them in the current menu. Actually I mixed up with the research menu, which is actually 2D like. On all printers you ve a 1D menu (choose left or right). Maybe more like in Dead Space 2:

0000006495-1024x7681.jpg

3 hours ago, Bomoo said:

They were exploring ideas of a extra large/huge sized rover a while back, but I would strongly argue that hovercraft technology doesn't belong in this game

I think you are right. Just thought, that Hovercrafts would be something, which will not consume much developer time and it wouldn't require much hardware resources in the end 😉

Just googled that:

http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/griffon-hoverwork/product-25250-429411.html

10 hours ago, Bomoo said:

I would strongly argue that hovercraft technology doesn't belong in this game.

I would disagree on the grounds of the technology not being unreasonable, but the gameplay benefits have to be balanced. The kind of hovercraft I would consider to fit would not be in the large category. They wouldn't be a replacement for the rovers or even the tractor. I would like to see a hovercraft somewhat like the stingrays from Borderlands: the Pre-Sequel

Image result for borderlands stingray

Obviously without the guns. Maybe a single two point attachment at most. Or two tier 1 attachments. Basically, an advanced version of the buggy. Just for scouting, but better at handling the often rough terrain. Though since I'm now on the topic of Stingrays, they can jump in Borderlands, and I would love a stingray in Astroneer that uses something like Nitrogen to jump. Hydrazine could also work, but I think the compressed gas would make jumping a little more practical without it being free. It still requires the technology investment, just not precious fuel.

Maybe put it on the medium printer for titanium alloy, helium, and aluminum alloy. Maybe on the small printer for something more expensive like nanocarbon alloy and helium. (helium to add to the idea that it has lighter than air ballast, even though that doesn't always mean much on every planet. just a thought.)

EDIT: With the ballast, now I'm thinking medium printer for nanocarbon, rubber, and helium, with the helium in balloons attached to the bottom, kinda like on real life hovercraft, with the big air bags on the bottom.

Edited by masterfulmadman

On 3/15/2019 at 9:16 AM, Bomoo said:

but I would strongly argue that hovercraft technology doesn't belong in this game. 

Considering this game is supposed to take place some 500 years into the future on what grounds are hovercraft not more acceptable than tires filled with air (pneumatic)?
TBH, I don't see how your argument has any strength at all.