SES_joe

Patch 1.0.13.0 - March 13th, 2019

Game crashed on Win10/Steam after aprox. 1 hour playing a fresh game. Last crash happened over half a year ago during alpha. Can't find crash dump files.

Xbox one s 

Still have an issue with the 4th large rover on a train, if your near the front of it the back rover doesn't load physics and gets glued to the ground 

can't watch end game cut seen on xbox game crash , game crash several time while going for the last core , 5 week after release can't watch end game cut scene , really need a lawyer to step in for the entire xbox community 

On my Xbox One, before the latest patch I was experience an FPS of about 15-20. Now I am seeing an FPS of 20-25, and a bit upwards at times.

This makes a huge difference, as my astroneer can actually run now! So I offer thanks for all of the hard work.

In addition, the game loads faster off my SSD, which is a nice bonus.

For us Xbox guys, I would like to see an 'always run' toggle, as it would speed up some travelling, etc.

While I'm making a wish list, how about a 'slide of doom' toggle, to turn it off, and thus save lives. Sliding is killing my little guys a lot.

Well, just keep up the good work devs. This game has a charm and unique style that is very appealing and addictive. Thanks for that.

Also getting intermittent crashing [Link] every 10-30 minutes or so after 1.0.13.0 deployed. Email sent as well, per sticky thread [Link]. Entire Astro folder zip and DXDiag included. 100+ hour save was entirely stable prior to this update. Let me know if there's a desire to try a new game and I can help. Also, if there's a way to revert my install to the prior build, I'd love to continue.

Can you please fix the multiplayer co-op on the xbox? the host of the game has huge FPS problems, but it’s only for the host the players joined have excellent FPS. Also the game crashes often in co-op but mostly when getting in vehicles, sometimes when players are far and/or underground. Thank you. 

FPS are quite a bit higher than before on some of my extreme saves, maybe 15-20 fps more, even though I have to wait some seconds after it loaded to get the boost. Initially I get something like 72 fps and after 5-10 seconds it stutters and then jumps to 92 fps.

I just noticed when I die the rate and I reappear the rate of fps drop almost half. Required to reload my backup to find the same rate as at the beginning. I play on xbox one x.

Windows store release - I've reached end game but still have some visuals locked (like exotic).

19 hours ago, SES_joe said:

Patch_Notes_Poster_13.png

Patch 1.0.13.0 Release Notes
The primary focus on this patch was to continue addressing the most pressing performance concerns! When comparing with exisiting saves, we saw significant framerate improvements. Some more big performance changes are being tested and worked on right now, which should further help with performance, especially in multiplayer sessions. We are definitely not done optimizing, but this was a much needed big first step.

Tether Changes 

This patch includes a rework of the algorithm that drives the placement of new tethers in a network. The new algorithm should greatly reduce the hitches players see when placing tethers in a big network across all platforms, leading to improved performance in single player and multiplayer games. This is the first part of a two-step fix to this system, the next portion coming in a future patch. 

The rework of the algorithm has somewhat changed the connection behavior of tethers. The impact of this change is not only on performance, but also in far more predictability and control over what will happen when you drop or pick up a tether. 

Here is a summary of what’s changed and what remains:

• Vehicles, base platforms and characters should behave the same as before. You should not see any difference in how they make tether connections. 
  • Connections between tether posts that have changed. When placing a new tether post, it will now connect to the closest tether post of each distinct tether network in range. A tether network in this case being a set of connected tether posts.
  • Tether networks are no longer self-healing! When you pick up a tether post it will trigger a network split of all the other tethers it was attached to. A tether post being disconnected will not cause any other tether post connections to change.

Performance Improvements
A number of overall performance improvements are included in this patch.

• Make debris objects despawn when they leave relevance
  • Generally reduce object count by cleaning up stateless objects that are far away from players.
  • Sped up transform updates for all objects.
  • Updated timeslicing settings for expensive objects that did not previously take advantage of timeslicing.
  • Optimized terrain geometry generation throughput.
  • Do not update animations that are out of the player's view and not in their immediate vicinity to save time.
  • Cached audio parameter values to avoid time spent updating them when they haven't changed.

Bugfixes
Fixed several of our commonly reported crashes increasing overall stability

• [AS-6342] - Fixed a bug introduced in the last update, where digging up Hazards with research samples attached cause the research to pop into the air and become stuck. 
  • [[AS-6351] - The achievement “Journey to the Center of the Thing” now unlocks when its requirements are met. 
  • [AS-6353] -  Fixed a bug which caused objects to become unusable for client players when unpacked or repackaged while outside the host's field of view in Multiplayer games. 
  • [AS-6390] - Fixed a bug Moving wrecked rover seat means Player is unable to interact with debris POI after save.

Sorry that this one took a little longer than expected, there are some big changes to some core systems here and we needed more time to test!

-jt

This has made a nice difference, good to see the devs coming through, brilliant :)

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, VoidBeast said:

So... Still didn't bring back the one-button quickstow I see... I don't get it. There's plenty of gamepad players out there like me who are confused as to how exactly the removal of that feature was for our benefit, since it wasn't a problem for most of us to begin with, and removing it actually made it worse. I'm sure some people had issues with it, but to just remove it from the game entirely was a really bizarre response... It's great that you are fixing all these other things, don't get me wrong... But it sure feels like there's a lot of selective listening going on when it comes to deciding what to change and how to change it.. And it feels like that feature was removed to appease some other group of players (of which I am not a member apparently) at my own expense, since it is significantly less enjoyable now for me. Having to pick up items off the ground twice was my biggest complaint when it was in EA, and when the 1.0 release came out, I was so happy to see that that had been addressed... But now its right back to the frustrating way it was before. I just don't get it. Would it be so hard to make it toggleable? Is there some unspecified reason for changing it? Well, whatever, I'm going to stick with 1.0, since it has the least problems and still has that function available. I'll update when/if the quickstow function is returned. =\

I find it baffling as well.

Its like they have this oddball internal select group of people who are ruining the game with stupid complaints and suggestions (and SES only listens to them, not the general public). Like when they just ditched storms because "everybody hated them".... who is this EVERY BODY, didn't include EVERY FRIEND I have who plays the games and thinks lacking storms is worse. Same goes with the quick-stow. All my friends want it back! Clearly that 'everybody' didn't include them either.

Reminds me of my boss, who gets one complaint in support tickets, and says "SO MANY PEOPLE are angry about this feature, lets change it!"....... one odd person, among thousands who use the system, dictates policy for the company.... yeah.

Edited by Frigidman

Still crashing during the end credit scene on Xbox, such a shame I can't get the achievement for finishing. 

6 hours ago, opiumskittles said:

Still getting massive terrain regen in multiplayer. Really wish that would get fixed so we can finally play. 

Oh man, this bug still persists? Meh. I red something somewhere this may have to do with different CPU manufacturers of the host and the Client computers. Are you and your mates all using AMD or Intel, or is it mixed? Knowing this would be interesting. We had this terrain regen issues too, but even stranger was when we flew to other planets, because they seemed to be generated VERY differently on the client machines. I (host) am using a i7 4700k, and my friend I am playing with uses a FX-6300. And as I said, I think I red something about Terrain generation differences between Intel and AMD machines...

Hey, I just wanted to know if you removed malachite? because I can not find it

or did I just have bad luck.

(I am on the French version)

It seems to be super crashy, it just outright exits after 10 or 15 minutes of play, does seem to be save dependent, my post endgame save barely lasts 5 minutes, one of my other saves lasts an hour, but they all crash. I can't find any crash reports but I'll happily forward them if you tell me where they are.

2 hours ago, Nitsuj74 said:

Hey, I just wanted to know if you removed malachite? because I can not find it

These questions should be posted on the Help, Questions, and Support.

Short answer, check the mountains and the mushroom caverns.

8 hours ago, Reudinger said:

Oh man, this bug still persists? Meh. I red something somewhere this may have to do with different CPU manufacturers of the host and the Client computers. Are you and your mates all using AMD or Intel, or is it mixed? Knowing this would be interesting. We had this terrain regen issues too, but even stranger was when we flew to other planets, because they seemed to be generated VERY differently on the client machines. I (host) am using a i7 4700k, and my friend I am playing with uses a FX-6300. And as I said, I think I red something about Terrain generation differences between Intel and AMD machines...

I am very doubtful it's to do with the different manufacturers, though rumour seems to abound. It's more to do with the 'known issue' (not listed here but on the previous notes) of client desync.

The architecture argument seems to come from an apples/oranges comparison of lower-end amd-based system hosts and clients vs higher-end Intel-based system hosts and clients. That or it's just the old rivalry nonsense. Several power users use amd CPUs with no complaints. But maybe... Maybe... 

At any rate it's one of the top priority fixes they're getting excited about - the numbers for the new Unreal tech implementation are promising! Maybe they'll be in the next patch, or the one after. 

So how many MONTHS after release will the game actually be playable? Does that seem fair? Is there a roadmap currently for when these game breaking issues will finally be dealt with? A few bugs is fine, and expected, but the game is literally unplayable on xbox with friends, and its been like this for over a month so far, at times getting even worse with patches.

Haven't tried the newest patch yet but based on some of these comments it sounds like its still broken on xbox.

Just wondering when ill be able to play with a friend in the the game I bought over a year ago and supported through early access. Don't mean to be rude but seriously this release is just disrespectful. why wasn't this game kept in early access until it worked? i don't understand why it was released when it so clearly doesn't work on xbox.

22 minutes ago, Mark Pedersen said:

So how many MONTHS after release will the game actually be playable? Does that seem fair? Is there a roadmap currently for when these game breaking issues will finally be dealt with? A few bugs is fine, and expected, but the game is literally unplayable on xbox with friends, and its been like this for over a month so far, at times getting even worse with patches.

Haven't tried the newest patch yet but based on some of these comments it sounds like its still broken on xbox.

Just wondering when ill be able to play with a friend in the the game I bought over a year ago and supported through early access. Don't mean to be rude but seriously this release is just disrespectful. why wasn't this game kept in early access until it worked? i don't understand why it was released when it so clearly doesn't work on xbox.

Frame rates better I can run around at my base now, it was slow mo before, I play on xbox one s

2 hours ago, Mark Pedersen said:

I just think they needed money. It's understandable it's a very small studio. They do not give up the game on Xbox like a lot of early access. They start publishing performance fixes. My fps have increased on xbox one x. After we waited 2 years for some we can wait 2 / 3 month more. Do not worry they will make it playable.

Thanks for continuously sending the updates, they have been really helpful. 

Just wanted to clarify something, may be someone has already asked before and I may not have noticed, but at any point are we expected to start a new save? Especially for the performance to improve. Since I may not have felt the performance increase drastically, although I am aware it was has been mentioned that we're not done with performance updates but I would still like to clarify.

FYI, I play astroneer on the Xbox one X.

The tether network is greatly improved. I even get faster load times on my save. I still get objects falling through terrain if I alter the terrain nodes they touch (when flattening, this is a big deal, I've watched my entire base fall before). Also, I consistently crash no matter what I'm doing at about 60-90 minutes of play time. I'm saving often so that's not a huge issue for me, but still. I have noticed with the collision problem, it doesn't seem to do it as quickly, now I have more time to grab an item before it sinks.

As a possible help. I loaded my game on another computer with a very new gpu, all the places where I had collision issues and things falling, as well as other places where I've altered terrain had single terrain nodes scattered so it looks like walking through a mine fields of diamonds. When taking the save back to older computer (saving on the newer one first) those nodes remain and collision seems to be better???